Page 3 of 326 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: President Obama

Re: President Obama

^^^ Most of the “firsts” don’t amount to very much. In my opinion a president should be judged by his accomplishments or lack thereof.

I think the ideal thing would be to see the whole racial aspect die down and eventually be inconsequential. Too much focus on race and some people are going to get the idea he’s not everybody’s president.

Saying "just ignore race" isn't an answer. It does not go away by avoiding it. Instead, the very act ignores the hardships and suffering our ancestors suffered and many people continue to suffer today. Rev. Lowrey is an elderly leader of the civil rights movement and was alive and experienced Jim Crow, Segregation, and other racial injustice. It happened to him, in his lifetime. Beyond that, racism is still alive and well in our country, but it is far less overt than lynchings and poll taxes. Instead, it boils just below the surface and periodically erupts. Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
    Last edited by Orangutan; 01-21-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: typographical errors
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

I didn’t say completely ignore race what I did say is it doesn’t need to be an obsession brought up every time somebody talks about the president.

^^^ In fairness, using my suspect memory, I've only heard "first black president" or "first black to be elected president" about ten times a day since the election. About fifty times yesterday. About 850 times, so far.

Yeah, I'd call that obsessive too.

Its certainly not news anymore, but that's where we hear it so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    ^^^ In fairness, using my suspect memory, I've only heard "first black president" or "first black to be elected president" about ten times a day since the election. About fifty times yesterday. About 850 times, so far.

Yeah, I'd call that obsessive too.

Its certainly not news anymore, but that's where we hear it so often.

Only 850 times?

I guess you must not watch much MSM very much…

lol, I can only imagine if Romney had made it. Then the talk would be about the first Mormon and less representation for other faiths.

Of if Hillary had made it. Then it would be about the first woman and less representation for men.

Or if Lieberman had made it. Then it would be about the first Jew and less representation for Muslims.

Funny how things turn out and what the focus is on now. Calling something for what it is should be considered a racial thing? Isn't that like saying we shouldn't say Merry Christmas or Happy St Patrick's day?

At least the conspiracy stories of an assassination on his first day didn't happen. It's not like race hasn't been on the minds of people. I also remember GOP statements that he didn't have a chance because he was black and people with hidden racist tendencies that they couldn't talk about would guide them in the polling booth.

This thread has taught me we are still focused on race if the simple statement of being the first black is such a topic. To me, it's not a big deal other than a sign.

This will soon pass for in the end, it's what he does in office that will be reported.

I'm still celebrating this regardless of how many times I read or hear about it. I grew up moving up and down the east coast and saw firsthand what people thought of anyone who wasn't white and how they were treated in various ways. Good job America!! Now we move on to a new chapter. It's all part of a process of transition.

Closing eyes to the obvious never seemed like a healthy thing to me any more than being pc about things. And I know how people think about being pc here.....
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    Only 850 times?

I guess you must not watch much MSM very much…
    Hey, that was only with FOX and CNN. With the MSNBC, CBS crowd, its probably in the ice pick area.

I think I see the light of both sides of this argument. How can we be one if we keep acknowledging racial firsts (because we keep seeing color). Conversely, how can we not acknowledge what is staring us right in the face. But, at the end of the day I think if we didn't see race, somehow, we'd be less human.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    And I take it that you did not actually read much of the thread.
    You are correct sir, time constraints at that moment. Read first 4 posts or so though

One thing i want to add that always seems to be forgotten. He is half white, was raised by white grandparents and went to Harvard. According to some pigmentally endowed friends of mine. That makes him more white then i am

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    The whole racism thing is never going to go away if they keep bringing it up. Everytime I hear "The nations first black President", I think racism. Why can't he just be the new President?

Why do they have to keep going there?
    Because FOX, CNN, & and all other major news media have to follow their demographic of either stupid people in general who need to be spoon fed, or old white people who wish things were just like they were shortly after WW2 (everyone knew their place).

I watched the thing on CSPAN. Absolutely no commentary from the news media, just announcements. Watching it on that channel was as if I was there because I could only hear the background noise of the crowd, the narrator, and the announcer as people stood up on the podium.

Personally, I see Obama as a democrat first and foremost.

From our friends at Volokh

[Jonathan Adler, January 21, 2009 at 4:02pm] Trackbacks
    Should Obama Retake the Oath of Office? Carolyn Lochhead has an interesting story in the San Francisco Chronicle on teh flubbed oath at yesterday's inauguration:
    The oath reads: "I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
    In giving the oath, Roberts misplaced the word "faithfully," at which point Obama paused quizzically. Roberts then corrected himself, but Obama repeated the words as Roberts initially said them.
    A do-over "would take him 30 seconds, he can do it in private, it's not a big deal, and he ought to do it just to be safe," said Boston University constitutional scholar and Supreme Court watcher Jack Beermann. "It's an open question whether he's president until he takes the proper oath."
    The courts would probably never hear a challenge, and some might argue that Obama automatically took office at noon because that's when President Bush left the office. But because the procedure is so explicitly prescribed in the Constitution, Beermann said if he were Obama's lawyer, he would recommend retaking it, just as two previous presidents, Calvin Coolidge and Chester Arthur, did under similar circumstances.

I didn't see the swearing in but if it's true, I would take the oath again just to be safe. It's not too late to go back and touch home base, as long as he doesn't get tagged first.

^^Agree. Volokh is all lawyers and they obsess about these things.
    Better to redo[in private and quietly] than allow anyone to question the legitimacy of the deal.