Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Re: The $825B Economic Stimulus Package

Here in NC, as I understand it, there are already tax credits for hiring disadvantaged workers. Now I guess they want to expand that nationwide. As much as it would help any one individual, it also hurts your neighbor. Someone else is pushed to the back of the line who may need a job just as bad but doesn't look as hard up at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Wouldnt it make better sense to encourage hiring workers that lost jobs
    due to plant closings and the like?
    That depends on who's perspective you're talking about. Personally, I would rather hire a laid-off worker than a person who couldn't bother to finish high school. But, I don't need any incentive to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ablaca66 View Post
    Here in NC, as I understand it, there are already tax credits for hiring disadvantaged workers. Now I guess they want to expand that nationwide. As much as it would help any one individual, it also hurts your neighbor. Someone else is pushed to the back of the line who may need a job just as bad but doesn't look as hard up at first glance.
    Another guy from NC. No wonder we agree Thats news to me but Ill research. Im in Southport BTW down by the water.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Another guy from NC. No wonder we agree Thats news to me but Ill research. Im in Southport BTW down by the water.
    I'm up in Timberlake. Close to Durham and Raleigh, but looks more like and might as well be South Boston, VA.

I thought I'd interject the more "Libertarian" (not necessarily my own) view of things just so it's on the table.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/th...id=VIDLRVBUS06

Let me know where this reasoning doesn't work for you (outside of being a bald-faced ad for Euro Pacific Capital):

When our government spends $2750.00 for every man woman and child in the country, on such a broad list of things, there's sure to be some benefit perceived by just about everyone. Our household, for example, can find hope in the $6 billion that will be spent on bringing better broadband connectivity to the masses.
    I entirely agree, my mom connects @ 24kb when she can even connect. The internet is nearly a requirement now a days.
    Again I entirely agree- this more ACLU influance, we, here in Neb have removed this, partisian politics, the best man/woman gets the job- not some quota filling lack luster would be.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 01-22-2009 at 08:04 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

^^^
    What really sucks is when a business TRIES to hire the "right person for the
    job", and then gets SUCCESSFULLY sued by the guy that didn't get it because
    he's <insert PC sterotype here>.

Arg.

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com

Republicans Speak on the Stimulus [David Freddoso]

They are holding a conference call now regarding their meeting with President Obama. Rep. Eric Cantor (R., Va.), on the stimulus plan's rebates against workers' payroll taxes: "This is essentially a stimulus check, which we already experienced last year."
    On the provisions of the stimulus package aimed at small business: "There is actually only 2.7 percent of this bill that is aimed at small business tax relief. In fact, for every dollar being aimed at small business in this bill, there are four dollars being spent for new grass in Washington."

He is there referring to the fact that the bill contains $400 million on upgrades to the Smithsonian, National Mall, and Monuments (including landscaping) and only $41 million in tax relief for small businesses.
    01/23 01:29 PM

The only part that interests me is the repeal that the 7500.00 tax "credit" may not have to be paid back. I'm going to do it either way since I can take my own money back ahead of time and use it to pay off high interest credit cards. If I have to pay it back over the course of the next 15 years..I will. It just means my tax returns will be smaller (no kids)
    EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard
    Intel Q9300
    EVGA Geforce GTX260
    750GB Hitachi SATA HD
    250 GB Maxtor Ultra 16 SATA HD
    200 GB Western Digital SE PATA HD
    Samsung DVDRW
    Antec 850w PSU
    Antec P160 Case

Can someone explain to me how going further into debt and spending money that you don't have is going to 'stimulate' the economy? Isn't this how we got into this mess in the first place? I would like to try this at home if it works.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    Can someone explain to me how going further into debt and spending money that you don't have is going to 'stimulate' the economy? Isn't this how we got into this mess in the first place? I would like to try this at home if it works.
    The idea is basically ROI (Return On Investment). Like a business, you can borrow money and if you invest it right, more money can be generated and your return can help pay the debt.

Our state- Arizona- made this mistake and is now looking at record deficits. The Economic Stimulus Package (I'm going to call it ESP- hmmmm- interesting) may cover our shortfall.

But what people don't understand is that government isn't like a business- it can't invest in itself and make a return. It's more like a financial whose real purpose is to protect and expedite the nation. It has to invest in things like transportation, schooling, military, and law/law enforcement. Look at it like greasing the wheels of business- NOT becoming it.

I have to admit- there are things about the ESP I like- but as previously mentioned- a lot of these things have been previously handled by separate bills.

As I look at it- these types of comprehensive bills invite pork-barrel and the more I look at it the more I understand why congress has never allowed the line-item veto. I think we are seeing the abuse of not having it.

On meet the press this morning Rep. John Boehner said there’s 200 million allocated for prophylactics in PBO’s stimulus plan. Boy-o-boy that’s a lot of rubbers…

Tell me just how is that going to simulate the economy? Everybody is going to be too busy screwin’ instead of workin’.

Hey Bubba that’s the wrong kind of stimulus!

I know. At the next democratic convention they’ll be using inflated prophylactics instead of balloons. Now I call that progressive.