Interview with Mod TheGlassMan Part 1

I was asked to restart this and I can't believe it's been so long since I fell off the face of the earth with this! This interview was done last year and The member has since been completely corrupted...he is now a Moderator.

This is about Bill, a fella I owe a debt of gratitude to for his efforts, friendship and support in helping get through some tough times in Chaintech, a company who has now completely dried up leaving no support, except a few of us and some stalwart members. Here ya go, number 28 in the series: TheGlasMan
    OK, by now you know the drill:

Hi there. Let me take a minute to introduce myself. I'm Uncle Bob, a Mod here at PC Perspective. We will be running a series of articles within the forum that will be called Mod Interviews. I ask revealing, embarrassing, stupid, probing questions of Mods and hopefully you get to laugh with us at ourselves and in the process get to know some of us better. Beware, not all the Mods are as forthcoming as you may like, I do my best to uncover the truth, but haven't always hit the mark!
    Part 1

1. I realize many of the members here are in a witness protection program of some sort, but can you give us your real name?

My first name is Bill, but as I occasionally get people upset (totally unintentional, I swear) so for their protection (and to keep my Akita from being poisoned) I'll keep it on the anonymous level.

2. Why did you join PCPer/AMDMB?

I was looking for an unlocked bios for my Chaintech VnF3 250 when s754 was brand new, and Google found the Chaintech forum here. Those were exciting times, mastering a brand new architecture with a bunch of intelligent enthusiastic partners. And yes I did find the bios along with a batch program I use to this day to flash all my boards.

3. Which forums do you frequent the most?
    The Chaintech MB forum is still my first stop. The company is out of the MB business but they are still capable boards with some quirks. A few of us try to make sure anyone needing help gets a quick response. The guys there have helped me as well when I blew a bios flash.
    I always go to the Folding forum as well. Another great bunch of people, and they always have the latest scoop on what's up in Folding. then I cruise the non MB section, always something interesting there. Often my advice is to visit their MB forum. No one can get you up to speed faster than the people that have already done it on the same board.

4. Why do you keep coming back?

As far as I know there is nowhere else like it. A lot of knowledgeable people trying to help each other out. Even when spats break out it remains very civil. The Chaintech forum will always be special to me. During the exciting times we prided ourselves as being the best Chaintech support on the planet, and outside of bios changes maybe the best period Keeping up that standard will always draw me back, and like I said, the rest of the forums are not far behind.

5. What was your first experience with a computer?
    My first experience was when I was 6 and my dad showed me the computer he worked with. I was mostly impresssed by the 5 gal water bottles they had filed with the dots cut out of the tape they used to program the monster.
    When I was 18 some one at my job used an Apple II, but my first PC was an IBM PS/2 Disney, 486/sx with a lot of kids software. I soon had it opened up and removed the 5.25 floppy and added a 1x CD ROM drive (2x had just come out) and MediaVision sound card. Had to learn about batch files to get that working, and then how to make different batch files to run different games. The most "fun" I had was adding 128K of cache to the board. IBM set the standard for obscure #1 pin marking that is followed to this day. Later I upgraded the cpu to a 50dx2 and added 4MB of memory for a grand total of 8.
    I've followed that pattern ever since (getting better of course), Upgrading for years before getting a new computer. Things have gotten crazier since I started Folding, and I run 3 computers now, but I do still use the laser printer (HP4L) that I got with my 486 and my Microtek E6 scanner, last of the steel frames. I think that's what I like best about PC's, if you want to do it, you can.

6. Do you prefer to be called a "geek" or a "nerd"?

Neither, I'm before their time. Nerd may have come into being after I left college. I was the quintessential partying student athlete (very hard to be more then 2 of the 3) so no one else could pigeon hole me, and I certainly don't.

7. What do you do like to do the most here at PC Perspective?

Sort of answered this in why I come back. You get to discuss interesting subjects with people who are in general knowledgeable and intelligent. Certainly a haven from the real world where discussion seems to be dominated by the ignorant and stupid. Not to mention the real problems of everyday life.

8. What do you like most about PC Perspective?
    Enough advertising, it's the good people that visit. Also, they have good reviews, but I often forget to check the front page. Fortunately Ryan usually posts interesting tidbits so I do get to know when something new is out.

9. OK, we all know this is coming…What do you like least about your PC Perspective?

The only thing is that in the Lightning Round people should only be allowed to post their own opinions. A link and a quoted paragraph for reference is okay. but it's not worth visiting when people put up pages of paid political propaganda and claim that is their opinion. I only visit on very slow days but I think it would make it more interesting. I wouldn't visit here at all if everyone just posted press clipping and copies of the manuals. But if it's fine for those that participate there it's fine with me. I don't really come here to discuss politics (except for veiled references to the "Evil Empire" of course).

10. How long have you been active in PC Perspective?

Since August 2004, so almost 3 years, I guess I'm still a pup.

11. Where are (you?) most active here? What is it you suppose that draws you to that particular area?

I think that's been answered.

12. What interests do you have outside of PC Perspective. Don't be shy, if you don’t have a life outside of here, many readers would like to know!

I spend a lot of time working on my cars. I just re-finished my Big Block 71 Nova. Installed a posi 3.42 rear end, a 4 speed OD auto and relocated the engine. I'm having some timing issues but will soon have it sorted. The car is astoundingly quick, but not very streetable at the moment. (Just some tweaks needed). I'm currently restoring a Lotus Europa S2 that should be a lot of fun when done!!!
    I have a love for glass cutting and make leaded glass to keep my hand in as I can no longer work in the trade. My son has gone off to the University of Kentucky, so I don't get to do my favorite job anymore. I deliver car parts now for pocket change instead.

13. OK, it’s hardware time! Let’s start with your most, or current favorite piece of hardware. Tell us about it.
    My current top rig is based on the DFI nF4 sli Expert, that I bought to try and get my San Diego to 3 Gig (couldn't beat my Chaintech VnF4 though) running an Opti 170 @ 2.85 with 2x512MB of BH5 (the expert does run the memory voltages I need with out a booster) with Storm/dd5/thermalchill PA 160 rad, also a maze chip block and Apogee vid block. Very quiet and very fast. But,
    I'm already planning to build an FX rig (a Folding Farm in a Box(c)) on what I expect to be a much better board for Gen 2. Already got a 2nd Storm block, just saving and waiting, impatiently.
    My VnF3 and 4 are running basically as folding boxes at 2.45 and 2.85 respectively.

14. Software? Hey, if you are a closet Linux user, now’s the time to come out. (If you are a closet Microsoft user, don’t be afraid, we can keep a secret!)

No, I haven't gotten into Linux, WindowsXP is just fine, although I think I will be using Linux as a Virtual OS in the FFB(c) on at least one cpu. I'll wait to see what I want to do and how Vista works out before making up my mind.

15. OK, let’s get real personal. Witness Protection Program be damned…Can you tell us something about yourself you’d like us to know?

I've been a soccer player and fan since learned to play in England when I was 11. I had to quit playing about 10 years (getting old sucks) ago but it still gets me excited and I love it when the World Cup is on, (I love my HDTV) despite the US being out-classed at that level. Well at least they make it to the finals now. Now if they would just listen to me they would have better results.

16. What can you tell us about your job? Hey, if you do something illegal, now’s a good enough time as any to make a clean start!

Like I said before, I'm running car parts part time, but its just to get re-established in the job market. As much as I like the people there, there is no future in it.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Re: Interview with Moderator TheGlassMan Part 2

Interview with member TheGlassMan
    Part 2

17. Where do you live? (Be fearless, your secret is safe with us..)

Since I didn't tell my whole name, I can tell you somewhere in the middle of the Kentucky Blue Grass, far enough off the beaten track, just before you have to turn off the paved road.

18. What can you tell us about your family??

I'm married, and my wife gets to cavort around the country consulting with companies or states about medicare and medicaid. My son is in his 2nd semester (and a Sophomore!!) at UK. I think he is an excellent young person, and will be a positive addition wherever he goes. Just wish he would pick his major.
    Billy, my brindle akita is the final member of our family. Adopted her as a "vicious" dog that was about to be put down. As she was licking my face in the cage I knew someone had desperately needed some attacking. A few years later she has developed into a fine dog, if a not yet a fine Akita. Bringing her back helped me get over the loss of my first Akita, Bear, who was my partner for a decade.

19. Here’s a delicate one…How old are you and where did you grow up?
    I'll be 51 in May, and I grew up In San Francisco. I still miss the beauty as well as the sourdough bread and Italian Salami. Nothing even comes close. Fortunately the whole country is like that. There is always something to appreciate.

20. Well, we are getting to the end of it, it’ll all be over soon, I promise. What you would like to say to our forum members, go ahead anything. Get it off your chest. We have all day here….[/QUOTE]

Whether you are competitive and/or want to show off your mastery of the hard and soft on a world wide stage, something real, not just benchmarks, OR just want to do what you can to help the Pande Group at Stanford University improve the understanding of how proteins act and interact in the human body so they can be controlled to cure and avoid diseases, visit the Folding Forum. Using Symmetric multi processing on Windows, Linux or Apple, using virtual OSes and your gpu as well as your new ps3 to improve the science are available. There are also clients that run in the background when your computer is idling that do the heavy lifting of the project.
    You can Fold on your own, or as a member of one of Folding@Homes oldest and most successful teams, the PCPerspective Folding Frogs (734) The guys and gals will cheerfully get you started either way.

And have a great day, If you can help someone out, do it. We all know we owe someone a favor we can't pay back, so it's the only way we can.
    Last edited by UncleBob; 01-26-2009 at 08:32 PM.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Re: Interview with Mod TheGlassMan Part 1

Great interview Glassman.

Agree.

Glad to see this back.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

great interview and great to have this back UB
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.