Could I have installed the Xigmatek S1283 wrong?

Hey guys,

I'm looking around for pictures of what my case (Cooler Master 590) looks like with components inside of it. One of the pictures I found has an HSF that looks just like my Xigmatek... however it's positioned a bit differently than mine. I installed mine with the fan on the bottom, and since I don't have the power supply yet, I don't know if the fan is drawing air through the fins, or pulling away from.

In another pic I have seen, it looks like the fan is on the right side instead of the bottom. Would someone mind clearing this up for me?

Edit: I'm running an Intel C2D e8400.

Also, if I need to reposition this... do i need to re-apply the thermal paste, or could I just turn it and it should be fine? Will air be pushed through fins, or taking away from?
    Last edited by Punkrulz; 01-29-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Re: Could I have installed the Xigmatek S1283 wrong?

Disregard. I learned that I did install it incorrectly, with the fan in the wrong direction. I removed the HSF, cleaned off as much of the thermal grease from both the CPU and the HSF, re-applied thermal grease, re-positioned the HSF. Now I need to wait until I get the rest of my money so that I can build the remainder of the PC. Right now I'm worrying about a few things such as temperatures, however I will come back with temperatures once I have them to make sure I'm running under normal parameters.

Btw: What program is good out there that would be useful for me "benchmarking" my temperatures, both idle and load? I'm looking for something that will allow me to run my CPU at full load so I can isolate the temperature there.

Thanks!

Re: Could I have installed the Xigmatek S1283 wrong?

Hi

Intel Burn Test is a good tool for testing the stability of your cpu.
    Coretemp is a nice temperature gauge that can be placed in the sidebar on Vista. It shows memory useage too.

The cooler you have is one of the best air units you can get. Mine keeps my 8400 very very cool under full loading of IBT. I doubt you will have any temp issues using this cooler.

Have fun with your new system
    System Specs
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R <> INTEL E8400 AT 4.0GHz (445X9) <> XIGMATEK HDT-S1283R <> 2048(x4) G.SKILL DDR2-1000 <> XFX GEFORCE GTX 285 <> WESTERN DIGITAL 640GB <> REALTEK ALC889A AUDIO <> CORSAIR TX750 <> ASUS DRW-22B1LT DVD <> LOGITECH Z506 5.1 <> ACER 25.5" LCD(x3) <> MATROX TRIPLEHEAD2GO <> LOGITECH G500 <> GENIUS G-PEN F610 <> LOGITECH G25 <> LOGITECH G940 <> RAZER NOSTROMO <> NATURALPOINT TRACK-IR 4 <> 11240/2048 CABLE CONNECTION <> MS VISTA ULTIMATE X64