On network cable MHZ ratings...

Alrighty, referencing this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

I've seen cat6 rated at 550MHZ that isn't cat6a and is much much cheaper.

Is this going to be able to do 10 gigabit when it comes around cheap, or do I just need to wait to wire the house until I can afford cat6a?
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Re: On network cable MHZ ratings...

This quote from Wikipedia should answer your question:

10GBASE-T will work up to 55 m (180 ft) with existing Cat 6 cabling. In order to allow deployment at the usual 100 m (330 ft), the standard uses a new partitioned Category 6a (a.k.a "augmented Cat6") cable specification, designed to reduce crosstalk between UTP cables, known as alien crosstalk.

I wonder if that's an approximation on all cat6 or just a flat out limit for cable not specifically made for it..

Oh well! 180 feet is quite a distance, and should be more than enough for what I was going to do!
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Windrunner View Post
    I wonder if that's an approximation on all cat6 or just a flat out limit for cable not specifically made for it..

Oh well! 180 feet is quite a distance, and should be more than enough for what I was going to do!
    I'd say it's an approximation set according to CAT6 specification. Some CAT6 cable exceeds those specifications but it wouldn't be wise to expect that any of it would operate beyond 55M. Nevertheless, 55M is a fair distance. Depending on the shape of your house, it's unlikely that you'll need cables to run that far - Oh I see you've already said that

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I'd say it's an approximation set according to CAT6 specification. Some CAT6 cable exceeds those specifications but it wouldn't be wise to expect that any of it would operate beyond 55M.
    That's my understanding too - provided the cable is installed correctly, you should be able to expect it to perform at those speeds on runs up to 50m - anything else is a bonus

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~