Help for a PCPer member:

Hi all,

Well the time has come for me to build a new pc- the nf4 system is getting pretty dated. I have been out of the loop for a while so I am asking for help.

First off, I prefer not to use anything from Intel, I dont care if it's a few .0001 seconds faster- however, price vs. performance is what counts.

This PC will be a "do it all PC", as we all know, CPU speed for games means very little today, Nvidia is my graphics choice, simply due to the great driver support they have always had- sorry, unless a lot has changed- no ATI for me.

I have my eye on the 9800gx2.

As for CPU I was thinking Phenom 940 BE

MB will have to be the latest nVidia chipset- 780? SLi or not, one 9800gx2 should run ANY game for quite a while, Sli power requirements are so very demanding- however, I presently have and am using a BFG 1000 watt PSU.

I need GREAT AUDIO.

I have no clue on memory.

Help.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-03-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

Re: Help for a PCPer member:

My suggestion, and you won't like it:

Phenom II 920 or 940
    Single GPU: ATI 4870
    Board: AMD 790gx chipset

If you must get nvidia, go with the gtx 260 or the like. Don't waste money on SLi/crossfire.

The nvidia 750 chipset isn't bad either. Newegg has a combo deal on the Asus 750 board and the Phenom II.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    My suggestion, and you won't like it:

Phenom II 920 or 940
    Single GPU: ATI 4870
    Board: AMD 790gx chipset

If you must get nvidia, go with the gtx 260 or the like. Don't waste money on SLi/crossfire.

The nvidia 750 chipset isn't bad either. Newegg has a combo deal on the Asus 750 board and the Phenom II.
    Good suggestions, also consider going with 64 Bit OS, right now I’m running vista home premium 64. You will want a minimum of 4 GB RAM though I run 8 GB and I can see the difference in games. If you choose to stay with 32bit OS don’t bother with anything more than 4GB RAM.

For audio you might consider one of the Asus Xonar cards or the Creative Labs X-Fi. If you go with Creative don’t get anything lower than the extreme gamer X-Fi

The card I have is
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102006
    I think the sound is excellent, though there are some that disagree with that assessment.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

I have my eye on the 9800gx2
    The GX2 is a beast of a card - but slightly dated. Its power consumption would be higher then those of newer generation cards, and all of the GX2's I have encountered had fan issue - make sure to use the newest Ntune, or Riva Tuner or (my preference) EVGA Precision Tool to adjust the fan speed to @60% to 80%.

I frequently run the 9800GX2 on 520w PSU with 28a+ on the 12v rail.

Other then suggesting you wait until summer time to go for the I7 (price drop), you seem to be geared right. Anything you build is going to be substantially faster and should please you.

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I would prefer to avoid creative sound cards, as in the past they have always had horrible drivers- has this changed?

How does the GX2 stack up against the latest cards? Say the 9800GTX+, or the ATi 48 series?

Remember- price vrs. performance is my main objective.

I wont even consider the 750 chipset- it has far less to offer then the 780a chipset and from what I have read so far is much faster, the 780 fully supports the newest AMD's as well.

Are there any advantages using the AMD chipsets?

I have 4 different OS's to choose from, so I will be dual booting:

vista 32/64 bit (business version)
    windows 7 64 bit
    longhorn
    Xp Pro SP3

I have 4 500 gig sata HDD's

But I am considering the new Geil Black Dragon memory- looks good to me.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-04-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

How does the GX2 stack up against the latest cards? Say the 9800GTX+, or the ATi 48 series?
    For performance GPUs, the 4870/4850 are the best bang for buck right now, and have very reasonable power consumption.

I wont even consider the 750 chipset- it has far less to offer then the 780a chipset and from what I have read so far is much faster, the 780 fully supports the newest AMD's as well.
    All AMD chipsets perform virtually the same. Choose yours based on BIOS support, layout and connections.

Are there any advantages using the AMD chipsets?
    No.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

well thank you for that.

I am also considering these:

Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD Sound Card

8 gigs of Geil Black Dragon PC1066

Asus Crosshair Mother Board

Video card- still undecided.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

One other question, may sound dumb, however- an SLI board must run nvidia cards and a crossfire board must run ATi correct?
    Nebraska Game and Parks

AFAIK, the 9800GX2 was the fastest card on the planet until ATIs recent X2 (which has been bested by the more recent Nvidia 295). That means yes, its faster then 4870 or gtx280.

...buuuuut...its 2 video cards. So its easy to see why it beats them. Its an older card, again, if I remember correctly, the 9800 (esp the early versions) are all 8800's, just shrunk once, and juiced up.

Would you be mad you got a 9800GX2? I would say no, esp if you get a price that meets your personal budget for said part.

Personally though, I would opt for a modern card over an aging classic, regardless of horsepower.

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03 View Post
    One other question, may sound dumb, however- an SLI board must run nvidia cards and a crossfire board must run ATi correct?
    An sli board can run 1 ATI card and a crossfire board can run 1 nVidia card, this includes the 2 gpu cards.

To run crossfire you need 2 or more ATI cards, to run sli you ned 2 or more nvidia cards.

You can use two or more cards regardless of gpu brand, for gpu folding or boinc ie you can have both but you can use only one for video.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Glass,

Can I run 2 cards seperatly? That is what is confusing me- two GPU's- on one card? Or, is it one card w/ two GPU's? Geeze I feel like a newbie- lol.

Is there any REAL advantage running SLI/Crossfire? If so please advise.

I.E., one for the PC and the other for a BRP at the same time? I have done 4 monitors at one time but never with multiple apps at the same time- save different web pages.

I am torn between the Asus and the MSI boards, DFI does not have what I want. And the Gigabyte boards seem to have poor reviews.

I can get a new GX2 (1 gig version) for 189.00- for this price can I better it. What would two of these do?

Mind you my present system runs very very well. But as with all things in the PC world- she slows down with the latest games, and at 1440x900 (LG 32 inch screen), it's not very appealing when this happens.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-04-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

aging classic
    Sh!t that means I am an ancient classic- LOL.

So this card is still very fast and will run anything presently?

In SLi it will scale double?

BTW, what is the 16x vrs 8x difference when using multiple cards?
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-04-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: question
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03 View Post
    well thank you for that.

I am also considering these:

Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD Sound Card

8 gigs of Geil Black Dragon PC1066

Asus Crosshair Mother Board

Video card- still undecided.
    Odd choice on the sound card if you donít like Creative products as that one uses the Creative X-FI Chip. If it says X-FI on it, itís either a rebranded creative product or a product made under license from Creative. I think this one is made under license but I wouldnít swear to it.

I did some looking around and found some people complaining about the same type of driver issues with this card as I have heard from some Creative customers. That tells me that they are likely using the Creative drivers, again I wonít swear to it.

Now before someone mistakes me for a Creative Labs basher, remember I use and recommended the Extreme gamer card. And By the way it looks to me like this is their version of the extreme gamer.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Thanks for all the help, however, I have decided to go with the Intel i7 920- it is not much more money, and is vastly superior to anything AMD has to offer.

Thank you.
    Nebraska Game and Parks