Thread: AMD- no longer

AMD- no longer

Well after much time and research- I have decided my new build, as follows:

Intel i7 920 - 269.00
    MSI x58Plat. SLi - 150.00
    Gskill DDR3 1600, 6gb - 140.00
    EVGA GTX 280 - 250.00

Total - 815.00

When this system is over clocked to 3.8Ghz on air (easy), it will run anything out there and all for under $1000.00

This out performs ANY AMD system by nearly 3 fold, which to my suprize, and disapointment (dismay?) , AMD is doing nothing about.

Unless of course you purchase one of thier Top of the line Opterons for 1200.00, and even then you still dont get the same performance as the i7 / x58 technologies.

What gives with AMD?

BTW, I really wanted to go Phenom 2, but when you consider the performance to cost ratio, the Phenom set up is nearly three times slower then the above set up, not to mention only 166.00 less money. I personally do not see that as a "bargin".
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-07-2009 at 09:40 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

Re: AMD- no longer

I recently did the same thing.

I built a few AM2 last year but ran into many teething issues with Nvidia Chipsets. Random hard freezes. I solved the freeze by getting another board but this time data corruptions. Then, I had to find a harddrive that plays along with the board.

I need to do work on my machine and my primary system is getting pretty underpowered (A64 3000+ and Nforce4). I got fed up and got Intel Q6600 and Asus P5Q P45 board. Sometimes all these constant problem solving is a waste of time because many AMD parts are pretty raw and untested.

Well the worst part for me is that I believe in AMD, but, I can not justify spending only 166 bucks less for nearly 3 times less performance- it is not future proof at all, and ecconomically, it would be unsound to build ANY present AMD based system.

This really troubles me, why? Because, it doesnt bold well for the future of the PC based end user- it will again lead to Intel dominance, and high prices that are unjustified- simply due to a monopoly strangle hold on the PC world via Intel dominance due to lack of competition.

Such a shame, I really miss the AMD hey days.

Surely AMD can do better. Perhaps AMD should concentrate on building CPU's - not video cards, maybe then they would have better CPU's.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-07-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

I think you'll enjoy that rig, if I'm not mistaken you can flash that board with the Platinum SLI bios as well but I never tested that myself.

As for AMD, yeah it was a blast riding on AMD's rise to best in class performance with K8 kicking butt. Phenom2 is a solid performer and for a non hardcore performance junkie its really a good value, its really what Phenom needed to be when it launched.

At any rate i7 kicks serious arse no doubt about it!!
    i7 Beast: Asus P6T Deluxe, Intel i7 920 21x191 (4000) HT on 1.3875v, Swiftech GTZ/D5/BIX2
    6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill pi Black DDR3 1600, ECS 9600GT
    CM STACKER 810, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

i7 Game: Asus P6T, Intel i7 920 20x180 (3600) HT on 1.275v, TRU-120
    6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1333 7-7-7-18, MSI GTX260 OCv2, Dell 3007WFP LCD
    CM STACKER 830, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

AMD: Biostar 790GX A2+, PII X4 940BE 17x200, Freezer 64 Pro
    4GB (4x1GB) Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800, Powercolor 4850
    Corsair VX450

yea, seriously- i7 920 3rd fastest desk top cpu available- which easily goes far beyond i7 965 (no. 1 at the moment.) speed for 260 bucks- it's a no brainer when compared to what AMD is offering- it really makes me sad for AMD.

BTW, look at the performance "gains" between 940 and 9950BE, how can anyone call that an upgrade?
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-07-2009 at 10:58 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

May I ask where in the world you got that X58 MSI plat for $150?

Its on the egg right now for $225

The i7 920 is $295 (also on the egg)

G Skill ram you have listed is $160

and the cheapest GTX 280 is $285 AFTER MIR...

Where are you shoppin bud... I gotta get away from newegg and onto where ever it is your buyin stuff!

EDIT: buyin this stuff from newegg is goana cost me $150 more then where you got it from

I'm also curious how you determined that the Intel setup is 3X faster than an AMD setup you priced out.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03 View Post
    Well after much time and research- I have decided my new build, as follows:

Intel i7 920 - 269.00
    MSI x58Plat. SLi - 150.00
    Gskill DDR3 1600, 6gb - 140.00
    EVGA GTX 280 - 250.00

Total - 815.00
    You can get Phenom II 940, 790g board and 4 gigs of ddr2 for 400$. That's 650$ with the GPU you quoted.

I leave it to you to decide if the 165$ premium is worth the performance advantage.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

as to the prices I listed- try ebay my friends- and use more than the common search words.

I just bought four 2 gb sticks of super talent pc 1333 memory for 68 bucks NIP- ebay

as for the CPU- even the egg has it for 269.00- you can get it for less on ebay as I did- Mine has not arrived yet.

the MB came from ebay NIP

The video cards were used in a review- I got mine for 235+15 shipping

BTW, the egg has 260's right now for less then 220.00 comes with a game as well. they also have the new raptors for 144.00 each.

need to look close for good deals, using the above that margin is now only 65.00

hope this helps
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Not that doubt the i7 setup is faster, but how did you arrive at 3x faster than the AMD setup figure?
    AMD Thuban 1055T @ 4ghz
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3
    4 Gig Mushkin Memory
    500 Gig WD Caviar Black HDD
    Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum
    Antec 300 Case
    BFG 750 watt SLI Powersupply

Well to be honest both are excellent systems.

But for me I’ll make an AMD system and save the 150 to 200 bucks.

I wont be able to tell the difference between 60 FPS in a game I’m running and the 65 I MIGHT get with the faster CPU. I’d be willing to bet that most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference either.

Take the two systems discussed here load them with the same software and let someone blind test them. Then see if they can tell which one is which. I’m guessing that in most everyday applications people wouldn’t be able to tell you which was which.

As for future proof, I’ve come to doubt that any PC is “Future Proof”. That being said, the conventional wisdom, if money is no object and you want to keep your PC for a LONG time, is to buy the cutting edge.

Aside from that, as you point out , buying AMD helps keep prices down in the market. If I can keep competition alive between Intel and AMD and still have a system that meets all my needs, all the while saving a few hundred bucks then that’s what I will do.

And while I will acknowledge the Intel CPU is faster, I too would like to know how you come up with a “3x faster” figure for the two systems
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Please- don't be AMD fan boyz w/o first realizing how vastly superior a chip the i7 is vrs. the present Phenom line up- even when cost vrs. performance is considered.

It is nearly 2 to 3 times faster then the Phenom in everything besides graphics, when you go sli- then you see it truely shine. This is not core 775 boys, please, read up on core i7 you will see why I am going this route. It's basically, a Phenom on massive steroids with a better memory controller, and- better chip set implementation(s).

5 frames? come on, seriously.

In 6 to 10 mos. when the new ati and nvidia cards come out- your present Phenom will bottle neck your system, all the while the i7 will just increase in fps- do you even know why this is? Or, on the flip side- you try to sli/crossfire with the modern games that are up and comming, in a year or two, that will use the CPU far more, with the present grapics cards available and you cant understand why your frame rates suck? Think about it. Please. This is what is called future proofing- at least two to three years.

Game devolopers now have a new platform to build upon- and belive me, they will.

Mind you, I am no newbie to system building- check my history here, I simply have been out of the loop for a while, and BTW, I can still ride the proverbial bike- so to speak.

FYI NIB Gigabyte sli x58 on ebay right now 132 bucks BIN- 4 available.

BTW, the egg has the MSI board- open box for 150.00
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-09-2009 at 07:08 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03 View Post
    Please- dont be AMD fan boyz w/o first realizing how vastly superior a chip the i7 is vrs. the phenom line up.

It is nearly 2 to 3 times faster then the Phenom in everything besides the graphics, when you go sli- then you see it truely shine. This is not core 775 boys, read up on i7 you will see why I am going this route.

5 frames? come on, seriously.

In 6 to 10 mos. when the new ati and nvida cards come out- your phenom will bottle neck your system, all the while the i7 will just increase in fps- do you even know why this is? Or, on the flip side- you try to sli/crossfire with the modern games in a year or two with the present grapics cards available and you cant understand why your frame rates suck?

Game devolopers now have a new platform to build upon- and belive, me they will.

Mind you, I am no newbie to system building- check my history here, I simply have been out of the loop for a while, and BTW, I can still ride the proverbial bike- so to speak.

FYI NIB Gigabyte sli x58 on ebay right now 132 bucks BIN- 4 available.

I don’t think anyone here is being a “Fan Boy” as everyone has acknowledged that the Intel Chip is faster. What several of us have done is ask you how you come about the 3 x faster claim which I now see you revise to be “two to three time” faster.

You want to see “Fan Boy” go back and look at some of the old ATI Vs Nvidia threads

Now I have seen benchmarks showing it two times faster in specific areas but never three times as you originally posted. Not saying that there aren’t some benchmarks showing three times faster just that I haven’t seen them. Also we are not simply talking about the CPU we were (Are) talking about the two builds and relative performance.

I guess it’s sort of an “Okay now back up your claim” sort of question
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

I think you'll be happy with that setup alpha.

2 things I can recommend, having built 2 core i7 systems myself:

1) Make sure you have a beefy power supply
    2) Make sure you have a VERY GOOD cpu cooler. These baby's get HOT!

And yes, both core i7 systems have overclocked to 3.8ghz easily. Its when you try for 4.0 ghz when the really good chips shine thru.

Thanks BD, could you post some video scores for these guys since they refuse to do the homework which proves what I state. Mucho Gracis.

FYI- rat you stated:
    I don’t think anyone here is being a “Fan Boy” as everyone has acknowledged that the Intel Chip is faster. What several of us have done is ask you how you come about the 3 x faster claim which I now see you revise to be “two to three time” faster.
    Where did you ever read that I said 3 times faster? Just a question- does nearly 3 times faster actually mean 3 times faster? Or, doeas it mean just that - nearly three times faster?

And before you attack me, which is ok, do me a favor, head over to the Asus forms and have a look and my write ups regarding the Asus/XP line-up and DDR memory. Believe me- I will not state something I do not know to be true.

I was getting 3.4 gigs on a 2500, long before most here knew how to do it. What do you think I will do with this i7 chip?

I promise you 4.5gigs or better with in a month of owning it- most likely- on AIR.

And BTW, see the above? It's only at 2.67 gigs- imagine that doubled using the same CPU - as read from R to L see the over clock?.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-09-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks