Re: AMD- no longer

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03 View Post
    Well after much time and research- I have decided my new build, as follows:

Intel i7 920 - 269.00
    MSI x58Plat. SLi - 150.00
    Gskill DDR3 1600, 6gb - 140.00
    EVGA GTX 280 - 250.00

Total - 815.00

When this system is over clocked to 3.8Ghz on air (easy), it will run anything out there and all for under $1000.00

This out performs ANY AMD system by nearly 3 fold, which to my suprize, and disapointment (dismay?) , AMD is doing nothing about.

Unless of course you purchase one of thier Top of the line Opterons for 1200.00, and even then you still dont get the same performance as the i7 / x58 technologies.

What gives with AMD?

BTW, I really wanted to go Phenom 2, but when you consider the performance to cost ratio, the Phenom set up is nearly three times slower then the above set up, not to mention only 166.00 less money. I personally do not see that as a "bargin".

Your whole rhethoric is based on if situations...

A i7 920 is more expensive and clocked slower then a Phenom2 x4 black edition.
    The black edition is much easier to OC and even @ stock speeds it can hold its own against that i7 due to the clock speed diference even though the i7 is faster on a clock to clock basis. But umm theres a 400 mhz diference which is something

BD, will a BFG 1000 watt be sufficient? It's what I presently have. But I will be SLI with 280's?

My concern- yep- heat, but just like the early XP's they were hot bastards too- I ran my 1700/2500 like that (46 to 52c for two years w/o problems- lapped copper-air cooled).

That said, I have read about x58 audio problems when high over clocks are achived- true?
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

lol, ok rethoric- yep that is what it is- considering your phenom 3 core provides you what performance gains while gaming over a 4400 d/c?

please I own both, dont spout off with that which you obvioulsy do not know.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

A i7 920 is more expensive and clocked slower then a Phenom2 x4 black edition.
    The black edition is much easier to OC and even @ stock speeds it can hold its own against that i7 due to the clock speed diference even though the i7 is faster on a clock to clock basis. But umm theres a 400 mhz diference which is something
    Clocked slower? Price- yea, by a whole 40 bucks- gimme a break. A 400 mhz difference? Try even that 400Mhz differnece as over clock on your Phenom- ANY PHENOM......... NOT!!!!!

Lest I mention all the rest that is VASTLY superior to the Phenom line up ?
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-09-2009 at 07:46 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

lol, ok rethoric- yep that is what it is- considering your phenom 3 core provides you what performance gains while gaming over a 4400 d/c?

please I own both, dont spout off with that which you obvioulsy do not know.
    Dude you said IF an i7 is oced blablabla

Hence the if rhethoric.

Cause if you really want to play IF games I could say IF I have an nice black edition with phase change I could OC it faster then any core i7 or even better yet what if I had an infinite amount of liquid nitrogen to cool it.

See what I mean?
    If situations really dont count which is why you should talk about parts at there rated stock speeds.

considering your phenom 3 core provides you what performance gains while gaming over a 4400 d/c?
    First of all plz,dont tell me what I know becuase for one what does my personal processor have to do with any of this?Whos talking about a Phenom1 X3?
    In any case since you asked Ill answer,my tri core will pounce a 4400 dual core heck it even pwnz my old x2 oced @ 2.7 ghz.Or did you not know that a phenom is faster then an athlon on a clock by clock basis.
    Even in single threaded appz.Battlefield 2 is a perfect example.
    Still wanna try and debate me? Pffftt

Certainly, let's run my 4400 D/C- game apps only, with dx9 games, then, when the i7 is built, not only will I hand you your hat, but I will buy you several shots so you can right yourself from the shock that the system I built at 60 bucks more money beats the living pants off any thing AMD has to offer - not to mention I am using the 4th fastest cpu from Intel, rather, then AMD's "premire chip' that has vastly slower EVERTHING.

Do your homework my friend, as I said- i7 is not lga775.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I wouldn't say Phenom is easier to OC than i7 by any means, thats simply not true. Changing a multiplier and increasing vcore on BE is no less complicated than increasing bclock and increasing vcore on i7, I just don't see the easier one way or the other.

Even at stock clocks the only place Core2 and Phenom2 even hold their ground with i7 is with gaming performance where the gpu becomes the x factor, at everything else i7 even at a lower clock is either equal or faster so much as doing a clock for clock comparison.
    i7 Beast: Asus P6T Deluxe, Intel i7 920 21x191 (4000) HT on 1.3875v, Swiftech GTZ/D5/BIX2
    6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill pi Black DDR3 1600, ECS 9600GT
    CM STACKER 810, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

i7 Game: Asus P6T, Intel i7 920 20x180 (3600) HT on 1.275v, TRU-120
    6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1333 7-7-7-18, MSI GTX260 OCv2, Dell 3007WFP LCD
    CM STACKER 830, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

AMD: Biostar 790GX A2+, PII X4 940BE 17x200, Freezer 64 Pro
    4GB (4x1GB) Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800, Powercolor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Certainly, let's run my 4400 D/C- game apps only, with dx9 games, then, when the i7 is built, not only will I hand you your hat, but I will buy you several shots so you can right yourself from the shock that the system I built at 60 bucks more money beats the living pants off any thing AMD has to offer - not to mention I am using the 4th fastest cpu from Intel, rather, then AMD's "premire chip' that has vastly slower EVERTHING.

Do your homework my friend, as I said- i7 is not lga775.
    Ive done my homework probably more then you since its more of an addiction for me. So plz.
    In any case the 4400 cpu your talking about is an athlon arent you?Or is that a E4400 Core2duo? omg

Thx for specifying that....

I thought you were talking about an athlon.
    In any case my tri core will beat that in multithreaded games that use all cores.And wait till I oc it might even beat it in single thread.
    In any case who cares,its flys the way it is,I only OC when needed.
    And my shit cost me 99 bucks last year while these chips retailed for like 150.
    Was a great deal couldnt resist it espcially since my old 939 nforce board blew some caps.

well said HO, and as I previously pointed out- GPU is the speed right now (Games)- BUT...... this is soon to end- why? Fabrication process- simple as that. One can only go so fast with a given die process- and both ATI and Nvidia are close to that "end result". Then what becomes the determining factor when Quake5, Halo3, or Fear 3 comes out- the whole process then beomes CPU bound.

Nuff said.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

well said HO, and as I previously pointed out- GPU is the speed right now (Games)- BUT...... this is soon to end- why? Fabrication process- simple as that. One can only go so fast with a given die process- and both ATI and Nvidia are close to that "end result". Then what becomes the determining factor when Quake5, Halo3, or Fear 3 comes out- the whole process then beomes CPU bound.

Nuff said.
    I gotta try what you just smoked!!

Wtf do video cards and Quake 5 or FEAR 3 have to do with what Im talking about?
    The subject is processors atm.

Yes I am speaking of a D/C 4400 Athlon from AMD, you see DX9 games dont need multi threading- the 4400 will best your Phenom 3 core- given the same video card with in the DX9 realm.

But not with in the DX10 realm- which is where i7 will destroy the Phenom line up.

Sorry man, I love AMD, I built 100's of them, and I miss the AMD flare- cheaper done better- but that is no longer true- and it is a hard fact you simply will have to accept- as I have had to do.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Poci, I dont want to offend you, but are you sure you know what you are talking about?

CPU, GPU, Memory- it's all the same shit- dont you get it?

How can I make you understand what I am trying to say here?

Perhaps someone else can do such better than I have tried to do.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Dude you said IF an i7 is oced blablabla

Hence the if rhethoric.

Cause if you really want to play IF games I could say IF I have an nice black edition with phase change I could OC it faster then any core i7 or even better yet what if I had an infinite amount of liquid nitrogen to cool it.

See what I mean?
    If situations really dont count which is why you should talk about parts at there rated stock speeds.
    Alpha shoots an Intel arrow into Poci's air ballon- Poci drops like a rock. We ARE SPEAKING of the PHENOM BLACK eddition. vrs. Intel's 4th - i7 920, not it's larger siblings. Straight up, i7 920 is nearly 2 times faster then phenom 940 in most apps. When over clocked- an i7, well look at the test results- they are EVERY where on the net- do you not belive them?
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Yes I am speaking of a D/C 4400 Athlon from AMD, you see DX9 games dont need multi threading- the 4400 will best your Phenom 3 core- given the same video card with in the DX9 realm.

But not with in the DX10 realm- which is where i7 will destroy the Phenom line up.

Sorry man, I love AMD, I built 100's of them, and I miss the AMD flare- cheaper done better- but that is no longer true- and it is a hard fact you simply will have to accept- as I have had to do.
    LOL
    I dont care if its DX9 or 10 a phenom tricore will pounce a dual core athlon,speed diference is only a 100mhz.
    Here its simple,its like an IQ test question maybe you should take it.
    Meh old athlon 3800 x2 oced to 2.7ghz pwnz yer 4800
    Meh phenom X3 pwnz meh old athlon even oced.
    You do the math.....

And btw you saying DX 9 doesnt need multithreading your SO WRONG OMG.
    Last edited by Poci; 02-09-2009 at 09:02 PM.