Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 141

Thread: AMD- no longer

  1. #31
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD- no longer

    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03 View Post
    Alpha shoots an Intel arrow into Poci's air ballon- Poci drops like a rock. We ARE SPEAKING of the PHENOM BLACK eddition. vrs. Intel's 4th - i7 920, not it's larger siblings. Straight up, i7 920 is nearly 2 times faster then phenom 940 in most apps. When over clocked- an i7, well look at the test results- they are EVERY where on the net- do you not belive them?
    OMG

    Boy im trying not to flame you cause I dont want adminz on my ass.
    But WHERE DID I SAY i7 WAS SLOWER?

  2. #32
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    352

    Re: AMD- no longer

    I don't really see the point of the OP. Was it to start an argument of i7 vs. Phenom II? Seems that way to me.
    New Rig:
    GA-MA790X-UD4P | X3 720 @ XXX w/1.30v | HDT-S1283 | 2x2gb Ballistix PC2-6400 @ 408mhz 4-4-4-14-1T @ 2.0v | Sapphire HD4870 512MB @ xxx (still testing) | Antec NeoHE 550W | Antec P180B v1.1 | Maxtor 500GB SATAII 16MB | Samsung SH-S183L SATA burner | ASUS DVD-E616A3T SATA DVD-ROM | Z-640 5.1 | Acer P241WAD 24" LCD | Win 7 RC

    Backup Rig:
    ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0 tictac D26 | Athlon XP 1700+B JIUHB DLT3C (L12 mod) @ 230*9.5=2185 @ 1.7V | SLK-900A & 80mm sfII | 2x512mb PDP TCCD (11-3-3-2.0) @ 2.9v | BBA Radeon 9800 NP-->PRO 128 GDDR 425/375 VGA Silencer + Ramsinks 8x) | WD 100GB UATA/100 7200 RPM | Fortron FSP530W | TDK 840G==> Plextor 708A DVD Burner | Samsung 16x DVD-ROM | Norcent 19" Widescreen LCD | XP PRO sp1

  3. #33
    Joined
    Apr 2003
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    4,217

    Re: AMD- no longer

    I don't really see the point of the OP. Was it to start an argument of i7 vs. Phenom II? Seems that way to me.
    No offence ment, however, If you do not understand the point of the original post:

    first, why dont you ask what it was about to begin with, or, read from the begining?

    secondly, why then post a questionable comment if you do not understand from the onset?

    Perhaps, whats seems to be is what you see it to be due to favortisim, rather than results.

    Btw, Fyi, I have put together an i7 system for 65.00 dollars less then AMD's top offering, yes a little effort was required, and no- for me it's not about money, rather BANG for the buck, AND more importantly - longivity. The Phenom2 line up was dead the day it was released- simply look at 9950 BE vrs. 940 BE results- then compare them BOTH to i7 920. Straight up and Overclocked. Can you say that Phenom2 is worth the upgrade over 9950BE- no way. What does that say about AMD at the present vrs the i7 line up, which AMD presntly faces? What, that AMD builds CHEAP yet inferior products, or, that - when dollar for dollar is compared they (AMD) fall short of what they have promised you...the gamer, or, simply that they build nice video cards......sometimes? And yet, have anchored that particular division of said company as their Achilles heal, and yet...saviour .....PLEASE.

    Do the math my friend. That is what this is about.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 02-09-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks



    I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

    American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

  4. #34
    Joined
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,862

    Re: AMD- no longer

    Will you be 3X the ass when your new computer parts arrives?
    _(¯`·._[neo]·._.·´¯)_
    i can ride my bike with no handlebars

  5. #35
    Joined
    Apr 2003
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    4,217

    Re: AMD- no longer

    Will you be 3X the ass when your new computer parts arrives?
    Na just threes times more up in yours.
    Nebraska Game and Parks



    I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

    American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

  6. #36
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    352

    Re: AMD- no longer

    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03 View Post
    No offence ment, however, If you do not understand the point of the original post:

    first, why dont you ask what it was about to begin with, or, read from the begining?

    secondly, why then post a questionable comment if you do not understand from the onset?

    Perhaps, whats seems to be is what you see it to be due to favortisim, rather than results.

    Btw, Fyi, I have put together an i7 system for 65.00 dollars less then AMD's top offering, yes a little effort was required, and no- for me it's not about money, rather BANG for the buck, AND more importantly - longivity. The Phenom2 line up was dead the day it was released- simply look at 9950 BE vrs. 940 BE results- then compare them BOTH to i7 920. Straight up and Overclocked. Can you say that Phenom2 is worth the upgrade over 9950BE- no way. What does that say about AMD at the present vrs the i7 line up, which AMD presntly faces? What, that AMD builds CHEAP yet inferior products, or, that - when dollar for dollar is compared they (AMD) fall short of what they have promised you...the gamer, or, simply that they build nice video cards......sometimes? And yet, have anchored that particular division of said company as their Achilles heal, and yet...saviour .....PLEASE.

    Do the math my friend. That is what this is about.
    Wow! I actually did read the entire thread from the beginning. I think you're a little jumpy on the gun there, sir.
    New Rig:
    GA-MA790X-UD4P | X3 720 @ XXX w/1.30v | HDT-S1283 | 2x2gb Ballistix PC2-6400 @ 408mhz 4-4-4-14-1T @ 2.0v | Sapphire HD4870 512MB @ xxx (still testing) | Antec NeoHE 550W | Antec P180B v1.1 | Maxtor 500GB SATAII 16MB | Samsung SH-S183L SATA burner | ASUS DVD-E616A3T SATA DVD-ROM | Z-640 5.1 | Acer P241WAD 24" LCD | Win 7 RC

    Backup Rig:
    ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0 tictac D26 | Athlon XP 1700+B JIUHB DLT3C (L12 mod) @ 230*9.5=2185 @ 1.7V | SLK-900A & 80mm sfII | 2x512mb PDP TCCD (11-3-3-2.0) @ 2.9v | BBA Radeon 9800 NP-->PRO 128 GDDR 425/375 VGA Silencer + Ramsinks 8x) | WD 100GB UATA/100 7200 RPM | Fortron FSP530W | TDK 840G==> Plextor 708A DVD Burner | Samsung 16x DVD-ROM | Norcent 19" Widescreen LCD | XP PRO sp1

  7. #37
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: AMD- no longer

    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03 View Post

    Btw, Fyi, I have put together an i7 system for 65.00 dollars less then AMD's top offering, yes a little effort was required, and no- for me it's not about money, rather BANG for the buck, AND more importantly - longivity.
    Do the math my friend. That is what this is about.

    With all due respect, you came to that price by cherry picking parts on ebay, and getting open box stuff off newegg. Repeat the same exercise in two months with Phenom II parts, and we'll see what the price difference is.

    As it stands right now, the price of a ddr3 build is prohibitive for most folks. And many of us have plenty of ddr2 parts lying around, and i7 just doesn't make sense.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

  8. #38
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Location
    phoenix, az
    Posts
    2,292

    Re: AMD- no longer

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    With all due respect, you came to that price by cherry picking parts on ebay, and getting open box stuff off newegg. Repeat the same exercise in two months with Phenom II parts, and we'll see what the price difference is.

    As it stands right now, the price of a ddr3 build is prohibitive for most folks. And many of us have plenty of ddr2 parts lying around, and i7 just doesn't make sense.
    well, some of the new amd cpus that are to be released soon will be very fast..have some patience, lot faster than the phenom II.S out now...most of your x58 chipset intel boards are very expensive, no motherboard is worth $300 in my book.
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

  9. #39
    Joined
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Arkansas/Oklahoma
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,890

    Re: AMD- no longer

    Quote Originally Posted by neopolaris View Post
    Will you be 3X the ass when your new computer parts arrives?
    Ha, best post of the thread.

    I still have not seen the empirical evidence showing the 3X in performance.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

  10. #40
    Joined
    May 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island, USA
    Age
    72
    Posts
    4,935

    Re: AMD- no longer

    I found a brand new Ferrari at an auction for only $12,000.
    You're an idiot if you buy a $12,000 Toyota because my Ferrari is 3x faster.

    Bill
    My HTPC

    ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630


    You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

  11. #41
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Long Beach CA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4,773

    Re: AMD- no longer

    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03 View Post
    Thanks BD, could you post some video scores for these guys since they refuse to do the homework which proves what I state. Mucho Gracis.

    FYI- rat you stated: Where did you ever read that I said 3 times faster? Just a question- does nearly 3 times faster actually mean 3 times faster? Or, doeas it mean just that - nearly three times faster?

    And before you attack me, which is ok, do me a favor, head over to the Asus forms and have a look and my write ups regarding the Asus/XP line-up and DDR memory. Believe me- I will not state something I do not know to be true.

    I was getting 3.4 gigs on a 2500, long before most here knew how to do it. What do you think I will do with this i7 chip?

    I promise you 4.5gigs or better with in a month of owning it- most likely- on AIR.

    And BTW, see the above? It's only at 2.67 gigs- imagine that doubled using the same CPU - as read from R to L see the over clock?.
    First off no one here “Attacked you” (when you posted this lol it has since changed) you made a claim and were asked to back it up. Nowhere did I see any unfriendly posts or over the top reaction especially as EVERYONE acknowledged that the Intel chip IS faster.

    I’m not sure why you are so defensive about the entire thing and I also don’t understand why you would expect us to go look for benchmarks that show “Up to three times faster” performance. You don’t want to back it up that’s fine, I’ll rely on the benchmarks I’ve seen which were about twice as fast not three times.

    “William Wallace is seven feet tall and shoots lightning bolts from his eyes and fireballs from his arse.”

    Easy to exaggerate, harder to bring facts and enlighten other people. And enlightenment is all that was asked for.
    Last edited by RatboyX; 02-10-2009 at 10:35 AM.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

    Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

  12. #42
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: AMD- no longer

    I'd like to add to this thread by saying how much really like AMD and the AM3/Am2 socket.

    I bought a PII 920 and ga-ma770-ud3. The pII 920 goes into my 790fx board and I get a nice upgrade. That frees up the PI 9500 which goes into the 770 board and repalces my mom's k9n plat/4200. The 4200/k9n combo then goes into my dad's computer he gets an upgrade.

    So for 300$, my whole family gets an upgrade. Gotta love AMD
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

  13. #43
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Long Beach CA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4,773

    Re: AMD- no longer

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    I'd like to add to this thread by saying how much really like AMD and the AM3/Am2 socket.

    I bought a PII 920 and ga-ma770-ud3. The pII 920 goes into my 790fx board and I get a nice upgrade. That frees up the PI 9500 which goes into the 770 board and repalces my mom's k9n plat/4200. The 4200/k9n combo then goes into my dad's computer he gets an upgrade.

    So for 300$, my whole family gets an upgrade. Gotta love AMD
    OH STOP THAT !!!! You are making me itch for an upgrade for my 790 board
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

    Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

  14. #44
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: AMD- no longer

    Quote Originally Posted by RatboyX View Post
    OH STOP THAT !!!! You are making me itch for an upgrade for my 790 board
    Well the downside is I get to spend the whole week-end at their house building rigs.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

  15. #45
    Joined
    May 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island, USA
    Age
    72
    Posts
    4,935

    Re: AMD- no longer

    The tone of this thread was belligerent from the start.
    If the op had started with something like
    By doing some smart shopping I built an i7 rig for under $1000
    then we all could have replied in a nice way.
    I seriously if any of us AMD fanbois would have suggested that a Phenom 2 rig would be better.
    But instead he chose to slam AMD and it turned into a pissin' contest.

    Oh well.
    My HTPC

    ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630


    You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •