Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: AMD- no longer

Re: AMD- no longer

Quote Originally Posted by TBird761 View Post
    Ok, I'm being a little sensational, but here's a good example of what I mean:

http://www.hardware-infos.com/tests.php?test=64&seite=7
    http://www.hardware-infos.com/tests.php?test=64&seite=6

Games frequently exhibit this behavior: At low resolutions that have been useless to real gamers for the last four years already with no AA and no AF, the Core i7 performs much better. However, at modern resolutions with AA and AF enabled the Phenom II is either similar in speed or just plain faster a lot of the time.

It certainly doesn't look like the i7 is three times faster to me. It also doesn't look like "The PII never beats the Core i7" to me. 22" LCDs are like $150 these days, so don't try to tell me that comparing 1680x1050 or higher is unrealistic. I'm poor as hell and still managed to have a 1600x1200 monitor since about 2002. What it really comes down to is if you're spending enough to worry about Phenom II vs Core i7, you aren't realistically going to be considering a 19" 4:3 LCD at 1280x1024.
    Can you say "driver issue back in JANUARY??"

Those tests were on EARLY i7 before drivers were optimized. It does nothing to point to those tests as proof of a CPU's superiority when it's plainly unoptimized video drivers at work. Look at every current review and you find that's no longer the case. PII never beats i7. PERIOD. Nice try though

If you want to look like you know what your talking about, don't point to PURELY GPU limited scenarios for CPU superiority. All you'll fine there are how well Nvidia or ATI have thier drivers optimized.
    Last edited by GregManning; 04-23-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    Ci7 920@3.6Ghz/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/AMD Radeon HD4870 512/4x 750Gb Seagate 7200.11
    C2Q Q6600/4Gb G.Skill Pi Black DDR2 800/IP35 Pro/8800GTS 640mb/2x 200Gb SATA Caviar

Oh, I see. If I shout something and yell PERIOD after it, that must make it true. You're free to believe whatever you want, I suppose. It makes no difference on the reality of the situation.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a dinosaur.

Oh, I see. If I shout something and yell PERIOD after it, that must make it true. You're free to believe whatever you want, I suppose. It makes no difference on the reality of the situation.
    Of course it doesn't. But drivers do, something you failed to take account for in your rush to declare an inferior CPU as superior for something it didn't really do on it's own. Learn to determine bottlenecks and you won't make that mistake anymore. If the GPU is the OBVIOUS limiting factor, then the GPUs drivers are the culprit for any performance differences on various platforms. Oh, and PERIOD (just for you ).
    Ci7 920@3.6Ghz/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/AMD Radeon HD4870 512/4x 750Gb Seagate 7200.11
    C2Q Q6600/4Gb G.Skill Pi Black DDR2 800/IP35 Pro/8800GTS 640mb/2x 200Gb SATA Caviar

nvm
    Last edited by pimptite; 05-03-2009 at 01:31 AM.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Ok, I'm being a little sensational, but here's a good example of what I mean:

http://www.hardware-infos.com/tests.php?test=64&seite=7
    http://www.hardware-infos.com/tests.php?test=64&seite=6

Games frequently exhibit this behavior: At low resolutions that have been useless to real gamers for the last four years already with no AA and no AF, the Core i7 performs much better. However, at modern resolutions with AA and AF enabled the Phenom II is either similar in speed or just plain faster a lot of the time.

It certainly doesn't look like the i7 is three times faster to me. It also doesn't look like "The PII never beats the Core i7" to me. 22" LCDs are like $150 these days, so don't try to tell me that comparing 1680x1050 or higher is unrealistic. I'm poor as hell and still managed to have a 1600x1200 monitor since about 2002. What it really comes down to is if you're spending enough to worry about Phenom II vs Core i7, you aren't realistically going to be considering a 19" 4:3 LCD at 1280x1024.
    If those benchies are true then im impressed.

So running at high rez the phenom pull ahead eh?

Reason im asking is cause other benchies show i7 winning. At triple the price.......

And trust me you know im an AMD guy

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by GregManning View Post
    Can you say "driver issue back in JANUARY??"

Those tests were on EARLY i7 before drivers were optimized. It does nothing to point to those tests as proof of a CPU's superiority when it's plainly unoptimized video drivers at work. Look at every current review and you find that's no longer the case. PII never beats i7. PERIOD. Nice try though

If you want to look like you know what your talking about, don't point to PURELY GPU limited scenarios for CPU superiority. All you'll fine there are how well Nvidia or ATI have thier drivers optimized.
    So it nvidia or ATIs fault?
    Theres nothing wrong with pointing out GPU limited scenarios cause the reality is most gamers play at higher rez then 800.....

Hence the GPU becomes the main factor which means you should spend the large amount of your budget on GPU and just get a phenom for the processor which should be more then adequate

Dont even add mobos to the equation cause the best 790GX mobo is only gonna cost you about 140 bucks,thats half of what an intel would cost
    Last edited by Poci; 05-04-2009 at 11:49 PM.