Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Best OS for mini HTPC

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    vista won't be phased out anytime soon i'm sure.

vista will work fine on your htpc if that's the route you go.
    The OP already has xp home. So why buy vista for MCE when you can run a win7 MCE which is nicer (and according to people that have run both, its better) and free. Then pay to upgrade again to win7 down the road. Run it for free and if you like it, buy it when it comes out. That way your only paying for 1 upgrade instead of donating to microshaft for ME-2 only to buy win7 later?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
    The OP already has xp home. So why buy vista for MCE when you can run a win7 MCE which is nicer (and according to people that have run both, its better) and free. Then pay to upgrade again to win7 down the road. Run it for free and if you like it, buy it when it comes out. That way your only paying for 1 upgrade instead of donating to microshaft for ME-2 only to buy win7 later?
    tell him that, not me.

i was only saying that if he wanted an os and was willing vista will work just fine. also depending on his copy of xp he can get an upgrade version of vista for less.

just because YOU think it's "Me-2" does not mean much, it's a more than viable choice.

you can find copies of WMC for xp for about the same price as a copy of vista home premium, both in oem, or the vista upgrade for a little bit more.

yes he can also wait for windows 7, or use the beta now, but it will expire before the final version ships, so he'll later have to upgrade to one of the release candidates, and there's no guarantee he'll be able to get one (i would assume he'd be able to get one, but really i don't know that for sure)

bottom line comes down to what he wants to spend, how much functionality he wants, and how slick of an interface he'd like. i believe poci is already pretty familiar with vista from his previous posts so i'm sure he knows what he's getting into if he goes that route.

of course there's also the free 3rd party apps others have suggested, as well has going linux. i however don't have experience in those areas so i'll let someone else explain the pros and cons.
    Last edited by Brandito; 02-22-2009 at 04:01 PM.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

And I dont want to use a mouse or keyboard either,only a remote control.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    And I dont want to use a mouse or keyboard either,only a remote control.
    i know for a fact there are plenty of remotes out there that support WMC quite well.

you might have a little more trouble with free or 3rd party software, unless you bought third part software that comes with it's own remote.

there is also a good possibility that there's some decent free software out there that also support wmc based remotes, so all you'd need to do is buy one.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    i know for a fact there are plenty of remotes out there that support WMC quite well.

you might have a little more trouble with free or 3rd party software, unless you bought third part software that comes with it's own remote.

there is also a good possibility that there's some decent free software out there that also support wmc based remotes, so all you'd need to do is buy one.
    How bout a pinnacle tuner with its remote?Will that allow full control?

I’ve been following this thread with some interest because I’m considering building a PVR (or DVR if you like) with some parts salvaged from recent upgrades/fixes. The one thing that’s clear is that Linux WILL work, however it’s only a viable option if you are willing to take the time to get it set up right.

Apart from the potential learning curve of installing a Linux distro for a HTPC OS there are potential hardware driver issues for some hardware. You can find a video capture card/TV Tuner that will work great under Linux just be sure it will before you buy.

I would keep clear of W7 at the moment because, as was pointed out, it’s license is going to expire BEFORE it’s available to purchase so why go through the hassle of setting up a system twice? Now if a retail version was available it would be worth considering.

The MS solutions, either WMC or Vista, are what you want to use if you want to spend minimal time configuring your system, and avoid having to replace W7 when the license expires. Either one should work well.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870