Cannot print E-mail from Windows Mail

Hello everyone,
    I came a cross a weird one today. I have a customer that cannot print anything from Windows mail. All it does is cause the message window to become unresponsive when you click the print icon or File > print. No matter how long it sits and waits it never prints and you have to kill the process. I have done some research and found nothing that can help me. It's a brand new system, 3gb RAM, 2.1GHZ triple core processor (so its not a performance issue or a virus). The only thing I found that could have been helpful was that the pre-installed McAfee software could be causing an issue, but I removed that awhile ago with McAfee's removal tool.

Any Ideas?

-If you need more information just ask.
    Shane Motter
    -Computer Technician

CompTIA A+, Network +, Security +, Linux + Certified Professional.

Re: Cannot print E-mail from Windows Mail

Does it print using other applications?

You might like to try removing the printer from Control Panel > Printers and adding it again (if you haven't already).

Yeah, it can print from any other program on the computer. I have removed and reinstalled the printer, i tried to get drivers from HP (thinking it was bad drivers) but they don't provide the drivers because Vista has them automatically (all they do is give you an instruction .pdf on how to install the drivers that vista currently has). Through research, I found that Windows Mail uses IE7's print engine, so I restored all factory settings in IE7 and that didn't help either. So I ran regsvr32 ole32.dll to reset, but that didn't do it either. I Checked event viewer and found one error pertaining to WMI and through research I found a fix, which didn't work.
    I forgot to mention earlier that this is 64-bit Vista home premium.
    It almost seems as if this is a known bug, and I am forced to wait for Microsoft to put out a fix.
    Unless you have an idea that I haven't thought of (which is what I'm hoping for).

-Thanks.
    Shane Motter
    -Computer Technician

I found this:

From Microsoft:

Setting a default printer would not put a "tick" next to that printer
    selected even though it was the default printer selected so would print from everywhere else just not Excel, Word or a pdf in Windows mail. You have to create a registry key in Vista to enable the tick next to the default printer otherwise those types of documents wouldn't recognize there was a default printer.

Hope it helps, good luck!
    "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!!"

"I praise and honor you, Father, because you are a God who loves to answer prayer, and who begins to answer them even before I begin to pray" (Isaiah 65:24)

Sounds like a good reason to switch to Thunderbird.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Monster Hate, it seems that Windows Mail printing works off IE's printer settings. Are you able to print from Internet Explorer? Which version of Internet Explorer are you using?

If you can't print from IE, do you get an error message? Can you post that here if you do?

In the meantime, you might like to try resetting IE and also try turning off Protected Mode. Some people have found that doing this will resolve the problem.

Also, what antivirus program are you using? There's a known issue with AVG's mail scanner that can cause this issue and a few others. Take a look at this page. Another thing that can cause it is AVG's mail scanner. Try without the Link Scanner first, and failing that, try reinstalling AVG without the Mail Scanner (using Custom options during setup).
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 03-01-2009 at 10:52 AM.

First off, thank you for the replies.
    Yes I can print from IE, and the computer is running IE7. I have reset IE's settings multiple times and even double checked program defaults. The computer came bundled with McAfee's security suite, which I removed using their removal tool. I then installed Avast! anti-virus, which I personally have never had a problem with.
    I have not tried to disable "protected mode" in IE yet. I have a request in, for my boss to schedule a revisit. I will try to removed the protected mode and if that doesn't work I am going to try installing Windows Live mail, or even Thunderbird, but this will not be scheduled for atleast a day or two. So I would really like to figure out what is causing this problem and fix it, rather then do a work around with a different program.
    So any other ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Shane Motter
    -Computer Technician

Avast has a mail scanning plugin too. It's possible that it is doing the same thing that AVG is known to do. Worth a shot. Try disabling the mail scanner in Avast. Also if there's a firewall, try disabling that too.

Given that Windows Mail is supposedly using IE's settings, you might like to try getting the IE7 setup to run again or perhaps even try IE8 RC1 and seeing if that fixes the problem.

I agree that it's much better to find a solution than circumvent it with another program

Ok, I'll give that a try and let you know how it works.
    Thanks.
    Shane Motter
    -Computer Technician

Well, I resolved the issue. Didn't do it the way I wanted to but it's fixed. I tried disabling protect mode, Avast's email scanner, and windows firewall, none worked. So I installed Windows Live Mail and as soon as it was done installing I printed an email and it went through immediately.

So it's fixed, and if anyone else is having the same issue I suggest upgrading to Windows Live Mail, it looks exactly the same as Windows Mail, just a little more glossy and sharper looking.
    Shane Motter
    -Computer Technician

Sorry to hear you couldn't get it done the way you wanted to do it. Good to hear you got a result in the end though. Windows Live Mail isn't too dissimilar to Windows Mail so I guess it's not all that bad.