Internal vs external hard drives

Is there a curent mindset in the pc building community about this? I'm planning a new build soon and hd's is something I never gave much thought to other than they're never big enough. Portability isn't an issue as I don't intend on transporting it anywhere.

I'm thinking of a rig based on the E8400 or E8500 and the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. I want to handle today's games, general web surfing and watching videos I've downloaded. I know I can easily oc up to 4 Ghz.

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to gaming if the game is on an internal hd vs an external usb drive.

One last question, and I know its probably a dumb one (thats my specialty), I run 2 hd's now and all my music, pix, and videos are on a ide type 250Gig internal drive. How am I going to get all that stuff over to my new rig?
    1) i5-2500K cpu, Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3, MSI GTX 970 GDDR5, 8G Gskill DDR3-1600 PC3-12800, Acer 23", H233H, Win7 64 bit, Corsair 650TX, Xigmatek cooler, Cooler Master CM690

Re: Internal vs external hard drives

USB has much slower throughput than IDE or SATA. The only advantage to external drives is portable files. It would definitely not be in good interests to run applications from a flash drive, unless that application has a very small footprint.
    Big Head
    Q6600 - 2.4GHz
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2800
    2x80GB WD Sata Drive in RAID0
    1x120GB Seagate Sata
    Sapphire Radeon 3870 512MB DDR4
    Audigy Value

If you really want to go external, then you should consider e-SATA instead of USB.
    ***STILL WITH THE DARK SIDE, BUT PLANNING TO GO BACK TO AMD SOON ***

C2D E6400/ GA-P35-DS3 / HD4670

Quote Originally Posted by djohn3853 View Post
    Portability isn't an issue as I don't intend on transporting it anywhere.
    forget external drive then and go internal

How am I going to get all that stuff over to my new rig?
    Just plug that hard drive in the new computer and copy anything you like from one hd to the other

ok then, let me now ask this. One hard drive or 2?

OS on one smaller and everything else on the second, much larger hd?
    1) i5-2500K cpu, Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3, MSI GTX 970 GDDR5, 8G Gskill DDR3-1600 PC3-12800, Acer 23", H233H, Win7 64 bit, Corsair 650TX, Xigmatek cooler, Cooler Master CM690

ok then, let me now ask this. One hard drive or 2?

OS on one smaller and everything else on the second, much larger hd?
    I went through this a short time ago. In fact I have a post about it http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=461077 . I wanted to go with a small boot drive and a large data drive. The problem I found is that Unless you are going to buy a WD VelociRaptor it is hard to fine a HDD smaller then 500GB that has the current top end performance. The smaller non raptor drives have not been upgraded like the bigger drives. I ended up going with the WD Black 640GB drive. If that is not enough drive go with one of the current WD Black 1T or bigger. There was not enough performance gain for me to justify the raptor drives. I would not go with Seagate because of the problems they are having with their .12 drives.
    Last edited by curlysir; 02-26-2009 at 11:26 PM.

I have multiple External Drives. One for movies, one for music one for pictures. If my OS craps out I have all my data on the external drives.

Quote Originally Posted by kiloman View Post
    I have multiple External Drives. One for movies, one for music one for pictures. If my OS craps out I have all my data on the external drives.
    While this does work, external drives, for the use you suggested, are not necessary. Simply having two drives would get the job done.

One drive can be your OS drive and the other your data storage that can be divided into multiple partitions (if desired) to separate your movies, music, etc. In my primary PC, I have a RAID0 disk used as my OS drive and a Seagate 500GB drive as my storage drive. I store my miscellaneous data on the D drive, and install everything else on the OS drive. For my really important information, I have a server running two separate RAID1 arrays. The first array uses two 40GB drives to store the OS, the second uses two 500GB drives to store important information such as pics, etc. In addition to that, I have an external 160GB drive in a USB enclosure that I store additional copies of important information. The reason for this drive is strictly two-fold: 1)portability 2)safety. An external drive when not connected to power is not susceptible to power surges, and therefor should only fail in the event of natural disaster to my home, or the disk becoming defective over time.

As for external drives, portability and security are truly the only benefits. USB and Firewire, as interfaces, are less optimized than SATA for hard drives.
    Big Head
    Q6600 - 2.4GHz
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2800
    2x80GB WD Sata Drive in RAID0
    1x120GB Seagate Sata
    Sapphire Radeon 3870 512MB DDR4
    Audigy Value

External hard drives suck! I have lost data twice now because of them acting up.

I was planning to buy a external HDD only to save data onto it. I am looking at eSATA external HDD, even I am going to use USB (or Ethernet if exist). I almost bought it, but now I see it's coming down pretty well ($150 for 500G/1T).

I find using USB thumbdrive best for our system. We save docs, and few other things. I use CD/DVD for large files.

Chuck

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to gaming if the game is on an internal hd vs an external usb drive.
    You're probably better off just running the game on your Windows drive. By running games and apps on a different drive, you're then dependent on two seperate drives functioning properly. Best off just leaving additional drives for storage only.