Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Gigabyte motherboard build

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    Thanks!

Edit:

I was just looking at one of our other threads with all the stats links when this just hit me....This new build....or should I say, a single GTX 9800 will out preform my farm when it was at its greatest. That was about 13 computers!
    GPU crunching is the wave of the future. Large return for a relatively small investment.

Thanks!

Edit:

I was just looking at one of our other threads with all the stats links when this just hit me....This new build....or should I say, a single GTX 9800 will out preform my farm when it was at its greatest. That was about 13 computers!
    That's just ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    GPU crunching is the wave of the future. Large return for a relatively small investment.
    Man, no kidding. That's the beauty, many of my rigs, I can just add the GPU's to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    That's just ridiculous
    When you realize how video intensive a lot of this stuff is, it starts to make sense.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Indeed, GPU Folding is all the craze (more than a year now) in our Pond together with PS3 Folding.

The only thing is powering those cards; if you go for the high performance cards, you need a sturdy PSU to stay stable !
    ( check the power plugs you need for the card, 6-pin type and 8-pin type for extra power supply on top of the PCI-E standard powering through the PCI-E slot )

A computer system that wasn't built for top GPU work will have a PSU that 's too 'light' (in many a case)

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

I pulled the trigger on it. Bought everything from NewEgg.ca. After looking to see if I could save a few bucks here and there, the additional shipping would eat it up. So I got it all from one spot.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a BFG 9800 GTX since they're all sold out. Instead I got a XFX 9800 GTX+ for about the same price.

The one thing that got me was the $81.54 handling fees! I just about canned the whole deal to shop elsewhere when I realized that was how they show the taxes. Ok, that made sense then.

Now its a matter of waiting to see when it all arrives. In the mean time I should start to prepare the case I'm putting all this in.

I pulled the trigger on it. Bought everything from NewEgg.ca. After looking to see if I could save a few bucks here and there, the additional shipping would eat it up. So I got it all from one spot.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a BFG 9800 GTX since they're all sold out. Instead I got a XFX 9800 GTX+ for about the same price.

The one thing that got me was the $81.54 handling fees! I just about canned the whole deal to shop elsewhere when I realized that was how they show the taxes. Ok, that made sense then.

Now its a matter of waiting to see when it all arrives. In the mean time I should start to prepare the case I'm putting all this in.

QUESTION: how do these taxes translate in to percentages (on the basic prices) ?

Last edited by noorman; 03-07-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added (on the basic prices)

Yeah, 13%. We pay a 5% federal tax called the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and 8% provincial tax Provincial Sales Tax (PST). The GST was just resently dropped from 7% to 5%. So if I bought the same stuff two years ago I would have had to pay 15% tax.

This reminds me, I should look at preparing my Income Tax as its due the end of the month. As a Canadian, I figure I spend nearly 50% of my income on taxes by the time you figure in GST, PST, Gas Tax, Property Tax, and Income Tax. Where's Thelmores, I'm sure he could help us out up here.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 03-07-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: I can't add! :o

Yeah, 13%. We pay a 5% federal tax called the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and 8% provincial tax Provincial Sales Tax (PST). The GST was just resently dropped from 7% to 5%. So if I bought the same stuff two years ago I would have had to pay 15% tax.

This reminds me, I should look at preparing my Income Tax as its due the end of the month. As a Canadian, I figure I spend nearly 50% of my income on taxes by the time you figure in GST, PST, Gas Tax, Property Tax, and Income Tax. Where's Thelmores, I'm sure he could help us out up here.

Would you believe that we pay 21% on all that stuff like computer parts ?

What RAM did ya get?

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post

Yeah, I know we are definitely not the highest taxed country in the world by far. But we are taxed much higher then our southern neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by Big B-man View Post
    What RAM did ya get?
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2

As far as the rest of the suff, here it is:

XFX PVT98WYDFH GeForce 9800 GTX+
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

And as a free bonus, XFX has included this:
    FarCry2
    ^^^ I wonder how well it works in Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post

We pay 19% on everything except food, which I believe is 13%. You don't want to get me started on all the taxes we pay, gas tax, car tax, property tax, TV tax, Solidarity tax, church tax and the list just keeps on going.

You may want to check out this place. They have the best prices I've found and I'm sure they could ship to you.

Yeah, I know we are definitely not the highest taxed country in the world by far. But we are taxed much higher then our southern neighbours.

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2

As far as the rest of the suff, here it is:

XFX PVT98WYDFH GeForce 9800 GTX+
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

And as a free bonus, XFX has included this:
    FarCry2
    ^^^ I wonder how well it works in Wine.

And there I am wondering why those parts are always way cheaper in the U.S. than here with us !

How much tax do they pay in 'the South' then ?

That depends on which State you're in. There's no federal sales tax down there (as far as I know) so sales tax is determined by each State. On a Federal level down there, its mainly Income Tax that provides their funds.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 03-07-2009 at 05:59 PM.

According to my NewEgg tracking numbers I should start to see some of the stuff tomorrow, and the rest of it on Monday. Too bad I'll be too busy tomorrow night to really have a chance to look at everything.

I should be able to put most of it together over the weekend (only thing missing will be the memory that's due on Monday).

Well seeing as I have everything but the new powersupply, I spent the morning putting the new toys together. I cleaned out my old Epox motherboard along with all unwanted parts/boards to make room for the new Gigabyte system.

So far it went together without too much problems. The only real issue was from the stock Intel CPU cooler. That was a total pain to put together! I'd get one corner in and then the opposite one would pop back out. In the end I had to pull the whole motherboard back out of the case so I could properly support it on the back side as I tried to install this cooler.

I get it all back together and then I see the video card wont fit. It interferes with the HDD/FDD cage. Since I'm not going to be using a floppy, I'll just remove that cage and mount the HDDs in the 5 1/4 bays instead. Not ideal, but it'll work.

So now I've got everything sitting in the case, just waiting for the powersupply to come which means tomorrow night we'll see if it'll work.