Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Gigabyte motherboard build

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    Well seeing as I have everything but the new powersupply, I spent the morning putting the new toys together. I cleaned out my old Epox motherboard along with all unwanted parts/boards to make room for the new Gigabyte system.

So far it went together without too much problems. The only real issue was from the stock Intel CPU cooler. That was a total pain to put together! I'd get one corner in and then the opposite one would pop back out. In the end I had to pull the whole motherboard back out of the case so I could properly support it on the back side as I tried to install this cooler.

I get it all back together and then I see the video card wont fit. It interferes with the HDD/FDD cage. Since I'm not going to be using a floppy, I'll just remove that cage and mount the HDDs in the 5 1/4 bays instead. Not ideal, but it'll work.

So now I've got everything sitting in the case, just waiting for the powersupply to come which means tomorrow night we'll see if it'll work.

Always best to mount a HSF with the board on an anti-static bag (or similar) outside the Case on a flat surface, so you can push evenly and hard.

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

I've easily mounted over 30 CPU heat sinks in various computers. This was the first one where I actually had to do that. Before now, if I had to push that hard I knew I was doing something wrong.

I pulled it out more to see what was going wrong then to gain more leverage. For no way I figured I wasn't putting sufficient pressure on the mounts. Yet apparently it just needed even more!

Now on the back side of the board there is a huge heat sink. Not sure if this was helping or hindering the fan install as it wouldn't allow the board to flex at all. It may just up the pressure on the CPU a lot. Where as SparkX's motherboard would have relieved some of this pressure.

I've easily mounted over 30 CPU heat sinks in various computers. This was the first one where I actually had to do that. Before now, if I had to push that hard I knew I was doing something wrong.

I pulled it out more to see what was going wrong then to gain more leverage. For no way I figured I wasn't putting sufficient pressure on the mounts. Yet apparently it just needed even more!

Now on the back side of the board there is a huge heat sink. Not sure if this was helping or hindering the fan install as it wouldn't allow the board to flex at all. It may just up the pressure on the CPU a lot. Where as SparkX's motherboard would have relieved some of this pressure.

Since many 3rd party HSF's are to mounted screwed from the bottom side, I always install the CPU, HSF and RAM outside of the Case ...
    Then I mount the assembly, graphics card, etc..

WOW! THIS IS INSANE!

After plugging everything in, I popped in Knoppix and right away she booted up and I had 4 little penguins sitting on my screen! One for each core.

Things are looking good! I definitely can get used to this!
    Code:
    Processor 0 is  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz 2400MHz, 4096 KB Cache
    Processor 1 is  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz 2400MHz, 4096 KB Cache
    Processor 2 is  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz 2400MHz, 4096 KB Cache
    Processor 3 is  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz 2400MHz, 4096 KB Cache

CPU frequency scaling enabled for CPU#0, using "ondemand" strategy.
    CPU frequency scaling enabled for CPU#1, using "ondemand" strategy.
    CPU frequency scaling enabled for CPU#2, using "ondemand" strategy.
    CPU frequency scaling enabled for CPU#3, using "ondemand" strategy.
    Even picked off all four on board network cards:
    Code:
    Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.
    Network device eth1 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.
    Network device eth2 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.
    Network device eth3 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.
    Now I'll do one final check on my hard drive, and then I'll format it and start building a new OS.

Looks good so far
    I've gotta say, never seen a board with a heatsink (or heat pipe) on the back like that but yeah i bet it didn't bend like mine...
    I have borrowed an e6600 conroe ? to get mine running and tested while i hunt for bargains.

Almost everything important is up and running on the quad. Its now running as my Multimedia PC, powering my projector and stereo. I pretty much only need to do a few software installs/tweaks.

1. DOOM III
    2. BOINC
    3. GUI tweeks (make things look better)
    4. Set up my IR remote

Items 1 and 2 will be done tonight. The others will be over the next little while.

Its a good thing I got this board when I did. On the 16th my former 'main system' went for a dive. I haven't been able to get it to boot since. Its probably the power supply. But I haven't spent any real time looking at it since I figured this build is more important. At least I now have spare parts from the system this computer is replacing.

This thing really destroys Doom3!

Cranked all the settings to the max and not a single hickup!

Got BOINC installed and running as well. For now I started Einstein just to get it started. I looked at starting GPU Grid but BOINC said I don't have a CUDA device. I'm not surprised as I still need to adjust a permission setting. I was having an issue with Doom as well so I know its not BOINC. I just have to look over the install notes again. I remember seeing the answer there. I just need to re-read it.

That's my goal tomorrow. Get GPU Grid up.

This thing really destroys Doom3!

Cranked all the settings to the max and not a single hickup!

Got BOINC installed and running as well. For now I started Einstein just to get it started. I looked at starting GPU Grid but BOINC said I don't have a CUDA device. I'm not surprised as I still need to adjust a permission setting. I was having an issue with Doom as well so I know its not BOINC. I just have to look over the install notes again. I remember seeing the answer there. I just need to re-read it.

That's my goal tomorrow. Get GPU Grid up.

I think you can add updating your system specs drop down box to the list.
    ................. Heat .....................

24/7 speeds
    w/c - * GA-EP45-UD3P - Q9650 - 3737 - 9x415 * ...cpu-z... w/c - GTX260
    w/c - * A8N32-SLI-Dlx - Opty 170 - 2925 - 9x325 * ... cpu-z ... w/c - GTX260
    w/c - * A8N32-SLI-Dlx - Opty 170 - 2826 - 9x314 * ... cpu-z ... a/c - GTX260
    w/c - * A8N32-SLI-Dlx - Opty 165 - 2250 - 9x250 * ... cpu-z ... a/c - GTS250

If you then kill a few unnecessary Windows 'services', your system will be even faster and safer !

^^^ I think I've got this running pretty minimally. Here's a screen cap of my log in screen:

Code:
    This is BlackStar.unknown_domain (Linux i686 2.6.27-gentoo-r8) 22:32:19

BlackStar login:
    I installed KDE-base rather the KDE-Bloat, and I manually start X only when I'm at the computer.

My other two crunchers, now they are minimalistic! With the exception of running Apache, MySQL, and SAMBA, they are only running BOINC. Heck, one of them I don't even have a monitor plugged into it. I do everything to it remotely.

That's one of the powerful things about Gentoo. Seeing as you have to build and add everything you're self, you tend not to install anything you don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevea View Post

I think you can add updating your system specs drop down box to the list.
    Would you believe it if I told you that this new system finally retired that one!

That has been the longest single install of an OS I ever had. Probably close 6 years of constant use.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 03-21-2009 at 11:55 AM.

BOINC now recognizes my CUDA card. I just had to join the 'video' permission's group.

So I tried joining up with GPU Grid, but they is now giving me this error:
    Code:
    23-Mar-2009 17:56:05 [GPUGRID] Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
    23-Mar-2009 17:56:05 [GPUGRID] Message from server: No work sent
    23-Mar-2009 17:56:05 [GPUGRID] Message from server: Full-atom molecular dynamics on Cell processor is not available for your type of computer.

It appears they don't have any work for Linux clients yet they 'support' Linux.

So what's the deal with Seti then? I know its not constant, but if I can get something out of them it'll be good.

On a good note, I have easily doubled tripled my output even without the video card!

GPUGrid sometimes has problems keeping up with demand. The message you're getting indicates that there is only work for PS3's. Just keep hitting the update button every few minutes until you get some work. Once you get some it usually straightens out and manages to keep work flowing.

Cool! I'll check up on it again tonight.

Which version of Boinc are you running? You need at least 6.4.5 and I'm running 6.5.0. I've had nothing but problems with the whole 6.6.* series. Are you running the Cuda drivere or the regular drivers? Just some thoughts.