Anybody Installed IE 8?

My primary browser is Firefox but I do have IE installed for updating windows.

Downloaded and installed the official release of IE8 today and so far it does appear to be improved from IE7. Like to never got the download site to work. Finally got a screen to download the update to my computer. Downloaded and installed without any problems.

Does appear to be faster then the previous version. Do not plan to make it my default but it does appear that Microsoft at least did make some improvements.

What do others thnk about the new version?

Re: Anybody Installed IE 8?

Not happy with it right now. It can't render a forum I frequent at all, even in compatibility mode.

My 1st impression was favorable but that has changed. Same old crap that caused me to quit using it before. Pages all of a sudden become slow loading and then freezes and locks up and then is real slow to close when you click on X. It did close which before was problematic at best.

After reopening I was able to load the site that froze in the previous session. So that is at least some improvement. Right now I see no reason to even consider switching from Firefox.

I switched to Firefox about 6 months ago for these reasons. IE7 would lock trying to load this forum constantly and I'd have to use task manager to end task and was more than just PCpers site that did it.

Since Firefox has been install I haven't had one lockup yet so I'm not looking to use anything from Microsoft anytime soon. Like you I leave IE installed for updates only..
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

I'm getting ready to switch to Firefox, same old problems that existed in the IE 8 beta's, IE 8 RC, and now in IE Public Release still exist, and that is that it can't render some websites, even in compatibility mode.

One thing I'm awfully sick and tired of with IE7 is if I have multiple tabs open, within an hour or two IE7 will crash, and won't even reload said tabs. I've noticed this with the 32bit and 64bit versions of IE 7 and this is on Windows Vista 64.

When I make the switch, I'm either going to go straight to Firefox, or will install Seamonkey, which is based on the same engine as Firefox.

Opera is also another good choice for an alternative browser.

My advice would be to switch to FF or wait 3-6 months for the IE8 SP1 to be released I am using IE7 happy with (am I the only one lol) it loads everything I go to. The only thing it dosn't load properly is a website called PS3Forums well it loads the site but will not load the standard editor for posts and threads I have to use the basic one.

It was working fine till last August when they where updating it due to hacks but its never worked and they've never messaged me back on a solution I just use the basic one for that site.

Can anyone using it please tell me the memory usage I am curious right now in IE7 with 2 tabs open I am using 113mb which is a lot for 2 webpages I just would like to see if MS really have lowered memory consumption. Because for the likes of people with VISTA/XP on pre-built systems with not decent specs it could slow down even more.

What does everyone think of the new google browser?
    The New Rig AMD Phenom 8650 G.SKILL 4GB PC2 6400 XFX GTX 260

Quote Originally Posted by FatZ28 View Post
    What does everyone think of the new google browser?
    I was going to try Google's Chrome browser, but it said it's for Windows Vista/XP SP2, and I am running XP SP3. I wasn't sure if it would work.

Main Box: BioStar TpowerX58 LGA 1366, Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Quad-Core, 3GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 2X250GB WD SATA, VisionTek Radeon 4870, Corsair 620w PS, Asus DRW-1608P3S & DRW-1814BL, Win7 SP1 & LinuxMint 10

Red Hour Video

RedHour Gaming

I dumped IE and made the switch over entirely to Firefox.