Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

DreamCatcher is Now v3.5 Worklog - The Last Version!

Due to being fickle and determined by the fates, DreamCatcher has again morph’ed and I decided to attempt one last worklog. As some of you are aware the “original last build” was supposed to be DreamCatcher v3.0. However with me not making up my mind as to what was going to go where (especially with several new components showing up), all of my builds went through several changes (on paper thanks goodness!). Ultimately this lead to DC no longer being top dog…….and it has received a parallel transfer.

After much hem and hawing it was decided to keep DC as the “bling” water cooled system, but it changed positions with Kermit the Folder. Since the mobo/proc assembly has changed and it will be my primary SMP folder this will be DreamCatcher v3.5. Much thought went into this as originally it was slated to receive the Asus M3A78-CM / Kuma 7750BE. I felt that if DC v3.5’s primary mission was to look pretty and be water cooled a tri-core would make more sense. Had thought of including the GTX 260-216 also but couldn’t afford the water block. Here are the final mechanicals with the v3.0 to v3.5 in bold italics:

CASE: SilverStone SOG1
    PSU: Enermax MODU82+ (04/10/09)
    MOBO: Biostar Tf780G AM2+
    CPU: AMD PI X3 8750BE
    HSF: Cuplex XT di
    GPU: Evga 8800GTS w/AquagraFX 8800
    MEMORY: TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF
    HDD: Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB
    Optical Drive 1: TBD

Because I’ve done most of the “engineering” with v3.0 I won’t bore you with duplicate log notes…..refer to the v3.0 worklog for that.

Now that DC will be more or less my “primary folder” I hope to do GPU with the GTS and try to do 2 x Linux SMP using the 8750BE. Which right now on the tech station the CPU seems to be happy at 3.0GHz in the Biostar.

The NB on the Biostar TA780G M2+ appears it will take the aqua computer twinplex I had originally modded for an earlier version of DC. Currently I’m looking to see if I need to use 90degree elbows on the NB cooler because of it location under the PSU. That will be covered later as the build comes together.

As far as the case is concerned I did manage to pick up a factory windowed cover as I wasn’t sure how to window the right side. Wanted to have windows on both sides as the coolant is UV reactive and I’ll be installing a pair of UV laser light fixtures. Also need to go back and do a little “hammer, grind, and file to suit” on the custom window as it is dragging on the frame and makes it difficult to install and remove the cover. I can certainly understand why the windows are mounted on the “outside” with the factory version.

Here you have the factory windows for both sides (stock photos) and then I’ve included views of the custom window from the earlier thread.

This may sit for a while as I “finish” putting Yoda’s SMN v3.0 together and work out the final issues with Kermit v2.0.
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 08-30-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: PSU was changed!!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Re: DreamCatcher is Now v3.5 Worklog - The Last Version!

Nice Jeddi,

I look forward to finish pics
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

As the fates would have it, Kermit went together fairly easily but had issues getting YsSMN v3.0 together so moved over to this so as “not to waste time”!

Since the mosfets on this board are kinda laid out rather “uniquely” I ended up using the Enzotech BMR-C1s left over from doing the M3A78-CM. These are for video cards and their 14mm square size allowed me to cover 2 chips at a time. I thenfinished it off with Enzotech MOS-C1s for the “little” guys. While I’m on the subject, any recommendations on where I could use more of the MOS-C1s as I have a few left over?

Took off the stock NB cooler and found a mess…..not only did it have the pink thermal pad stuff but it looks like someone may have thrown on a bit of thermal paste to boot! All I know is it didn’t want to cleanup up too easily. Anyway it turns out the modded NB cooler fits! So what you have here is the mounting of the blocks……..

The following shows the blocks, heat sinks, and memory cooling fan in place.

Okay so I mounted the mobo into the SG01 to start figuring out the plumbing. Once the hardware was kinda in place it is amazing what happens to the “pre-planning” for the layout! Thought I was going to need 90 degree fitting for the NB cooler….wrong! If anything they’ll be needed for the GPU cooler, especially if I decide to go out the back of the unit. The following series of pics will show my attempts to get the tubing to fit without crimping. While in the Ultra MX6 I had room over the CPU / NB area that is lost to the PSU in the SG01.

One area of concern is a potential area where the tubing may become “crimped”. In the pics above that would be to the left or top of the pictures showing the GPU. It is where the tube goes over the GPU and under the PSU. Here are a couple of close ups showing the “top” and the “bottom”.

And the last mechanical fit issue is between the PSU and one of the mounting screws for the memory fan cooler….it may work itself out after everything is buttoned up.

Well that’s it for now!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Okay had a chance to play a little with it. Originally the plan had been for case in to be to the right as view from the front with return to the left. However no matter what I tried I could not get the tubing from the NB cooler to connect to the pass through without crimping. So did the easy way out and reversed it. Here are a couple of views showing how the preliminary plumbing will be…minus the PSU.

The only real question / concern is the section that goes under the PSU and up over the GPU. Here is a view of that section without the PSU in place. Remember that the PSU edge will extend about ¼ - 3/8” ( 6 – 10mm roughly) further than the edge of the angle. You can somewhat reference the edge by the mounting hole.

I’ve noticed that with use the tubing usually will “soften” enough to assume the shape eventually. My concern is will the “softening” process weaken the sidewall and cause a crimp?

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Oddly enough think I’ve resolved my crimping concerns…..all I had to do was use the correct PSU!! My initial fitting was done with the OCZ that ended up in YsSMN v3.0 as the Enermax MODU 82+ was powering the tech station. As it turns out the OCZ is a wee bit over an inch longer, so I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

First off here is the OCZ again, then the Enermax……..

……….giving me room between the memory cooler. So here is where the tubing ended up

Back to the honey dos!!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Okay have an air movement question..........

The SG01 has two fans on the left side over the gpu area. As of right now they are both set to "exhaust" the air. Also on the left side is the fan to cool the HDD which is currently set to "intake". That leaves absolutely nothing for the area to the right of the GPU. This 2/3s of the case currently does not have a fan of any sort as the CPU & NB are water cooled and the mosfets are passive.

Now, should I make the HDD fan also “exhaust” so as to try and create some kind of “cross flow” air pattern? Meaning that the left side would be totally exit hopefully pulling the air through the holds on the right side?
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 04-11-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Jeddi I know this might sound strange but can you draw a little diagram and post it?

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

Not so strange had thought about it but will have to take a picture to mod. Might get to it tonight........wife is hitting to go out tonight.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Okay some quick and dirties (Paint & factory pics)......... Red = exhaust and Green = intake, also note that this shows the factory windowed version. Same idea if I use my modded "non-windowed" cover, it is just that on the right side the holes go all away across.

First this the left side to show the fan for the HDD. Currently it is set up to draw air in to the HDD. Proposing to turn it around to blow air out from inside the case

Then here are the two 3/4 views to show the "airflow". The fans in the top can be reversed if either is wanted for intake.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

04/25 – wee hours of 04/26/09

Finally managed to spend some time on this! Two big delays was waiting on the I/O backplate to arrive and resolve the issue of the mobo audio header to case front panel cable pin outs. Ended up with a 50 – 50 solution…….found a source for the backplate and gave up on the audio. As far as the windowed cover that is still “in progress” but wanted to at least get the system running so that went to the back burner.

Another concern I have is the lack of air flow inside the case, so after some thought and input will try the following:

1. Make all fans on the left side of the case exhaust with hopes it will cause some kind of air movement through the case. Adding a fan or fans will be limited by how much (or little) space I have. Also I believe one of the reasons for water cooling was to delete fan noise.
    2. Mount a cooling fan for the mosfet passive coolers

On the mosfet part of the deal I rounded up ye old trusty 60mm that I initially had cooling the NB cooler on the Abit NF-M2 nView / Opty 1210 mobo assembly. I then grabbed the two brackets that were mounting the 120mm fan on the Tech Station that went into YsSMN v3.0.

By mounting the brackets on the “bottom” I was able to lower it in the case to
    1. Not be too close to the PSU
    2. Match a couple of holes in the chassis and miss the water cooling pass throughs
    3. I think of something later!

Another thing addressed was how to power the shear number of 3-pin fans as this mobo only has 1 fan header excluding the cpu. Managed to track down a neat unit the Sunbeam Multi Fan Power Port # MFPP . Here you can see it in the initial setting up period

In setting up the modular cables I’ve split the power up as follows:
    1. SATA cable powers the HDD & Optical drive
    2. One Molex cable powers just the Aqua Computer power card / water pump and fans.
    3. Second Molex cable powers all other fans and “extras”
    4. Then of course the PCI-e video power cable.
    5. This left me with two spare power plugs.

Also I ended up moving the optical drive down to the bottom 5.25” bay as I used the upper one for all of the access PSU cable “lengths”.

So here we have it all together waiting to be leak tested.

Mid Day 04/26/09

This has turned into a major FUBAR!!! Set everything up on the work bench to leak test. Aqua Computer provides a PSU mobo “bypass plug” that allows one to run the PSU without powering up the mobo. This is so you can fill the Aquaduct 240 PRO Mark II internal res and get the coolant though out the loop. In my usual rush I forgot to turn the PSU off and as soon as I plugged in the supply the coolant started filling the loop. So I grabbed the coolant bottle and started filling the res……..then occurred to me maybe I should check for leaks!! Sure enough the tube going to the GPU inlet was not seated all the way in and I was quickly creating a mess.

After I got that cleaned up I started anew….topped off the res, closed the cover, and started looking for more leaks. Sure miss having the mobo tray from the MX6 as I needed to use a flash light to see everything. Notice a large air bubble in the GPU so started moving the case around to get to move. Then everything quit.

Okay so I plugged the power cable in the mobo to start again, except the only thing that happened was the fans started to move then quit. Oh snit I then remembered that I read some where that one should only use the power jumper for a short period before possibly screwing up the power supply.

I tried all kinds of things to get the PSU to power stuff up but with no joy. Just as a test I tried an older PSU to see it the water cooling pump would run as I couldn't get to anything else easily. Yep it runs…….

So now I looking at the fact I may have just killed the PSU.
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 08-20-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Stinks Buddy,

Hope the darn PSU works again!

04/26/09…..Late

Based on Killed a PSU???, I’m declaring the PSU as tote and looking to replace it. In the mean time here the box sits with no leaks and no power supply………

So everything is to a halt until I get the new PSU, guess if I get over my depression of my 3rd PSU biting the dust I could always go back to the window!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Your inspiring me to build on of these systems for my TV

I might skip the water though.

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    Your inspiring me to build on of these systems for my TV

I might skip the water though.

Kinda wish I had to at the moment!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

I’m declaring the PSU as tote and looking to replace it.
    Why, you said it powered the other system aok, or did I miss something?

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)