Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help me overclock this, please

Hi all.

AMD 720 BE at 17.5 x 200 = 3515. 1.4 Vcore, 35c at idle, stable as per 8 hours of Prime95.

RAM is DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    It's unganged, 669.6 MHz, FSB:DRAM = 3:10, timings are 9, 9, 9, 24, bank cycle time is 33, command rate is 2t.

Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3

I'm happy with my chip speed, but am I better off raising the bus speed and lowering the multiplier?

And what can I do about my ram?

Any suggestions appreciated - thanks!!!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sed; 03-27-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Re: Help me overclock this, please

decision time! right now you've reached the easy part of the oc. you can probably get another 100mhz out of it with a vcore of 1.45v. after that is the area of decreasing return. more voltage and a few more mhz.

what cooler are you using?

i see your concerned with stability and using prime95. once you find your sweet spot, run it for 12 hours. i've had them bust prime in the 9 and 10th hour.

in most cases, using a higher htt doesn't yield any significant improvements but your welcome to give it try and extend the excitement. i'd use the multi and tweak with the htt.

ud

First try raising the HTT clock speed (currently at 200) at 17.5 too see how high you can go.

When you lower the multi you have to pay attention to memory speed and Htt bus speed to keep them stable.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thanks for replying. I'm not looking to overclock the processor any more, but rather am concerned with the ram timings.

The HTT clock speed won't go 5 higher at this voltage.

Since you are running a divider (if not a result of the 1/2 multi) your memory speed is well below rated speed, so experiment with the timings. One at a time. Command 1T should instantly fail but it gives the best boost to benchmarks. Then work your way down the line. Don't think it will improve overall performance.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)