Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: AM3 Cpu In AM2 Motherboard? What Could Happen!!!

mad75 - If you are looking for the most flexibility and highest level of compatibility, got With an AM2+ board.

Once you go with an AM3 motherboard, you limit the number of CPU's available to you.
    I think you mixed that up. New releases will be AM3 including the 6 core variants that are up next. yes you can run the new PII chips in an AM2+ board, but whether they will support the 6 core is unknown at this time.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I see what you are saying, TheGlasMan. Although I was speaking specifically to flexibility and compatibility right now, an attempt at future proofing could be a good idea.

BUT, with that said there is very little software that takes advantage of 4 cores, let alone 6. DDR3's recent price drop makes the decision of going AM2+ or AM3 a bit more complicated.

Right now, if I were building another budget minded AMD system I think you would be hard pressed to beat the new KUMA BE processor and 790/SB750 motherboard and 4 gigs of DDR2 1066. Throw in a decent cooler (the Xigmatek Dark Knight can be had for 40 bucks and is basically a wash if you are brave enough to pick up an open box mobo) and you have a great base for a system for right around 200-225 bucks. New 4770 video card at 100 bucks. Damn, it's good to be a consumer right now!

If he goes for an open box Biostar board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813138128R) for $65.00, how could you feel too bad about replacing the board in 1-2 years, right?

Just food for thought.
    AMD Thuban 1055T @ 4ghz
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3
    4 Gig Mushkin Memory
    500 Gig WD Caviar Black HDD
    Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum
    Antec 300 Case
    BFG 750 watt SLI Powersupply

I get your points as well, but I know how to find a use for those cores!!

Truth be told I have a great time with my x2's, and I'm using the same original s939 boards I got for my original A64's. ( I have a quad c2 but it's basically a folding box). I have an AM2 chip from a DFI infinity board that fried on me, but I have Jedi's problem, where to hide the rig. Tempting to get an AM2+ board for it, I've even got the spare power supply.
    Last edited by TheGlasMan; 04-30-2009 at 11:10 AM.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal_Killah View Post
    mad75 - If you are looking for the most flexibility and highest level of compatibility, got With an AM2+ board.

Once you go with an AM3 motherboard, you limit the number of CPU's available to you.

I am personally a big fan of the Biostar 790 series AM2+ boards. They will work with just about any current AMD processor and for the money, they are hard to beat. I have a 720 triple core and a 7750 Kuma on these boards and could not be happier with the price/performance ratio.

I also am the type of guy who replaces his motherboard and CPU about once a year (and RAM when needed). For me, I have had better luck with trying to stay with middle of the road hardware once a year ( we refer to this as the cutting edge of obsolescence around here ) than invest huge sums in the biggest and baddest CPU and motherboard setup money can buy.
    Thank you on your suggestion and information ..., but actually I'm just curious about the Mainboard AM3 that have DDR2 and DDR3 slots can be installed AM2/AM2+ Processors..., and this is actually good news ...