Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: i7 New Build

  1. #16
    Joined
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Vvardenfell
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,902

    Re: i7 New Build

    Looks good - just don't blame me if you can't get 4GHz!


    M

  2. #17
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,881

    Re: i7 New Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Looks good - just don't blame me if you can't get 4GHz!


    M
    That is just the luck of the draw...
    Asus R5E, Intel Core i7 5960X
    Cascade cooling (-94C @550W)
    G.Skill DDR4 3600C15@4266MHz cas12 Nvidia GTX730, Samsung 850 Evo/OCZ Vertex 4
    and Seasonic Platinum 1200Wi, Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and 20-50 more systems...



  3. #18
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    54

    Re: i7 New Build

    lol I hope for 3.8+ I found the Evga to have greater support thought it would be a good choice. IF I made a bad choice then I will have to just live with it and get a new m/b in a few months. Thanks for all the help.......
    COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000
    i7 920 Oc 3.435ghz so far
    mushkin 4GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple
    Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120
    LG Black 6X BD-ROM
    VelociRaptor
    Western Digital WD20EADS 2TB

  4. #19
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,881

    Re: i7 New Build

    Maybe it is time for a general i7 overclocking thread for everybody?
    Last edited by Sparks; 04-04-2009 at 02:23 PM.
    Asus R5E, Intel Core i7 5960X
    Cascade cooling (-94C @550W)
    G.Skill DDR4 3600C15@4266MHz cas12 Nvidia GTX730, Samsung 850 Evo/OCZ Vertex 4
    and Seasonic Platinum 1200Wi, Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and 20-50 more systems...



  5. #20
    Joined
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Vvardenfell
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,902

    Re: i7 New Build

    I thought that was your thread?


    M

  6. #21
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,881

    Re: i7 New Build

    Then maybe I should rename it (done).
    Asus R5E, Intel Core i7 5960X
    Cascade cooling (-94C @550W)
    G.Skill DDR4 3600C15@4266MHz cas12 Nvidia GTX730, Samsung 850 Evo/OCZ Vertex 4
    and Seasonic Platinum 1200Wi, Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and 20-50 more systems...



  7. #22
    Joined
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Vvardenfell
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,902

    Re: i7 New Build

    I was joking, but thanks anyway!


    M

  8. #23
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,881

    Re: i7 New Build

    That's ok.
    Asus R5E, Intel Core i7 5960X
    Cascade cooling (-94C @550W)
    G.Skill DDR4 3600C15@4266MHz cas12 Nvidia GTX730, Samsung 850 Evo/OCZ Vertex 4
    and Seasonic Platinum 1200Wi, Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and 20-50 more systems...



  9. #24
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    54

    Re: i7 New Build

    Well I got it altogether oc 3.24. I think I am going to change some fans and lap my true 120 in the next month I have never lapped anything but it is worth a shot at better temps which are running 78c high all day vary stable oc.
    COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000
    i7 920 Oc 3.435ghz so far
    mushkin 4GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple
    Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120
    LG Black 6X BD-ROM
    VelociRaptor
    Western Digital WD20EADS 2TB

  10. #25
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NYC, Third Planet from the Sun Microsystems
    Posts
    3

    Re: i7 New Build

    I am putting together my first build, an i7 920. Just waiting for the after-market cooler to arrive.

    Picking components took weeks of googling and reading through enthusiast sites.

    My choices are here: http://grandscheme.org/

    I purchased on average a component a month.

  11. #26
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    130

    Re: i7 New Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub Genius View Post
    I am putting together my first build, an i7 920. Just waiting for the after-market cooler to arrive.

    Picking components took weeks of googling and reading through enthusiast sites.

    My choices are here: http://grandscheme.org/

    I purchased on average a component a month.
    Congrats and welcome to the forums.
    Ci7 920@3.6Ghz/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/AMD Radeon HD4870 512/4x 750Gb Seagate 7200.11
    C2Q Q6600/4Gb G.Skill Pi Black DDR2 800/IP35 Pro/8800GTS 640mb/2x 200Gb SATA Caviar

  12. #27
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NYC, Third Planet from the Sun Microsystems
    Posts
    3

    Re: i7 New Build

    HTML Code:
    Congrats and welcome to the forums.
    Thanks.

    So, what are you guys going to be booting into?

    I feel sorry for Windbloze lusers, with the never ending security holes.

    This comment isn't to ignite a Unix vs. Windbloze troll, cos there's no comparison.

    What I will be doing is documenting how I secure Windbloze, which I will run within a virtualization.

    There are misc functions that I'll need Windbloze for.

    1. IE for checking web pages I create
    2. Possible VoIP software
    3. Misc conversion utilities
    4. ATI TV Wonder™ HD 650 Combo USB for PC (I want a PVR)


    PVR == Personal Video Recorder; one's own computer recording the cable feed instead of a cable company DVR. My current DVR lets me record two shows simultaneously while viewing a third.

    If you web surf and/or read mail under Windbloze, what do you do to secure yourselves? Beyond not knowingly doing anything stupid.

    When I use email, I don't use filtering, don't have to check a spam box and don't get spam. Guess how.

    I want that same quality in a PeeCee security solution. I'm going to assume a worst case that I execute a virus: how do I limit the virus and recover from it?

    I have ideas. How about you guys? The usual of running anti-virus software? Some solution unique to youz?

    ----

    The Wonder card [A] doesn't have a good review [B] at Newegg, but I decided on the USB version instead of the video card version. The versions are here [C]. I wanted the card at first, but ended up deciding on the USB because I didn't want to tie the Clear QAM tuning with forcing a choice of video card. Modular. I'm figuring the 920 will be fast enough to accept the USB feed while inside a virtualization.

    [A] http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonder650/usb/index.html

    [B] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815306007

    [C] http://ati.amd.com/products/tunermatrix.html

  13. #28
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    130

    Re: i7 New Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub Genius View Post
    HTML Code:
    Congrats and welcome to the forums.
    Thanks.

    So, what are you guys going to be booting into?

    I feel sorry for Windbloze lusers, with the never ending security holes.

    This comment isn't to ignite a Unix vs. Windbloze troll, cos there's no comparison.

    What I will be doing is documenting how I secure Windbloze, which I will run within a virtualization.

    There are misc functions that I'll need Windbloze for.

    1. IE for checking web pages I create
    2. Possible VoIP software
    3. Misc conversion utilities
    4. ATI TV Wonder™ HD 650 Combo USB for PC (I want a PVR)


    PVR == Personal Video Recorder; one's own computer recording the cable feed instead of a cable company DVR. My current DVR lets me record two shows simultaneously while viewing a third.

    If you web surf and/or read mail under Windbloze, what do you do to secure yourselves? Beyond not knowingly doing anything stupid.

    When I use email, I don't use filtering, don't have to check a spam box and don't get spam. Guess how.

    I want that same quality in a PeeCee security solution. I'm going to assume a worst case that I execute a virus: how do I limit the virus and recover from it?

    I have ideas. How about you guys? The usual of running anti-virus software? Some solution unique to youz?

    ----

    The Wonder card [A] doesn't have a good review [B] at Newegg, but I decided on the USB version instead of the video card version. The versions are here [C]. I wanted the card at first, but ended up deciding on the USB because I didn't want to tie the Clear QAM tuning with forcing a choice of video card. Modular. I'm figuring the 920 will be fast enough to accept the USB feed while inside a virtualization.

    [A] http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonder650/usb/index.html

    [B] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815306007

    [C] http://ati.amd.com/products/tunermatrix.html
    You figure correctly. The i7 is MORE then able to handle just about any virtualization task you throw at it. In fact, feel free to throw several at it. I'm quite fond of actually running 3 Ubuntu VM's simultaneously for folding purposes. Because the i7 appears as 8 cores (via HT which really works well as opposed to the Pentium 4 days) to the host OS, you can afford to feed each VM 2 "cores" and a whole Gb of ram to itself, leaving the host OS 2 "cores" and 3Gb of it's own to completely ignore those running VM's and game without even noticing them.

    I'm fond of AVG for anti-virus for Vista Ultimate x64, though I haven't spent enough time in my Windows 7 x64 build 7057 load to setup an anti-virus for it since I don't do much important in it yet.

    You may not be fond of Windows, and since your a Unix fan (Unix will always have a fond place in my heart as a real power user OS), I won't knock you for it, but you will find i7 adds a performance snap to Vista (and Windows 7 for that matter, but it's less pronounced there since the OS is already so light weight compared to Vista) specifically that even XP never had at it's very best, and that's saying ALOT considering just how snappy XP could be made to be.
    Last edited by GregManning; 04-15-2009 at 10:49 PM.
    Ci7 920@3.6Ghz/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/AMD Radeon HD4870 512/4x 750Gb Seagate 7200.11
    C2Q Q6600/4Gb G.Skill Pi Black DDR2 800/IP35 Pro/8800GTS 640mb/2x 200Gb SATA Caviar

  14. #29
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NYC, Third Planet from the Sun Microsystems
    Posts
    3

    Exclamation Re: i7 New Build

    Yeah, I saw some notes on speeding up (not hindering actually) XP. Offhand, I remember "turn off indexing."

    But with my setup, I have a special weapon to speed it up: an SSD disk. They have just hit the right (expensive) price-performance level where I decided to buy 120 GB for $345, even though that'll buy 3.5 TB of disk. Rest assured, I'll still be buying TB disks, maybe even the new 2 TB ones in six months (waiting for the price to go down).

    I'm looking to run _no_ antivirus software. If I run an unknownish program, it'll happen in a non-persistent vegetation. er, virtualization.

    I'll run mail, web and Office in separate virts. Actually, not mail nor web for me, since that'll happen in Unix, but I'll be documenting my security attempts.

    Here are some of my ideas:

    NAT - of course use a router, which these days have firewall functions.

    email zombie infection spotter - All the ISPs I've used have non port 25 (SMTP) mail ports available. Even better, TLS ones for SMTP and POP. 26 & 995? Once you are no longer using port 25, only a zombie infection would use it. Your machine would be connecting to port 25's all over to deliver spam.

    Set the router to block all (outbound) port 25 access and email you if it does so!

    To secure the Office virt, delete the Ethernet device. Ah, but what about the mail and web virts, they must have it.

    I propose running SSH from the virt to the outer OS to create a tunnel just for the mail ports you use. Then: set the mail virts default route to go nowhere!

    That ought to eff up any virus trying to communicate with the outside world.
    Always run as a non-admin user.

    Have the mail/web/Office/execute unknown virts share a common disk mount, so you can save a WORD file from email and open it in Office.

    This virtualization software looks good. I'm planning on booting into FreeBSD.

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/vi...n-coach/?p=128

    ----

    You poor Windbloze lusers:

    Microsoft-pushes-massive-fixes-in-monthly-patch-release

    Apr 15 2009

    On Tuesday, Microsoft released eight security bulletins, addressing more than 20 vulnerabilities. Included in the latest release were fixes for several vulnerabilities disclosed before the software giant could fix them, including one for Excel. However, the vulnerability from earlier this month that targets Microsoft’s PowerPoint was a no-show.

    ...the vulnerability allows an attacker to create a malicious movie that, when viewed, would give the attacker complete control of the computer...attackers have favored this type of exploitation method heavily in the past year...Users don't expect innocuous documents like a PDF files, Excel spreadsheets, or movies to compromise their computer, making it easy for attackers to trick them into viewing the malicious file,” she explained.

    Another interesting note from April’s patch release is the Exploitability Index. Microsoft said that six of the vulnerabilities patched this month are actively being exploited in the wild. This is the first time since the release of the Exploitability Index that there have been so many active attacks online at the same time a patch for them was released.

    Home users are advised to patch now and install everything required. Windows Update will direct you to the necessary patches.
    Last edited by Sub Genius; 04-16-2009 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Microsoft massive patches relate to security questions in this thread

  15. #30
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    54

    Re: i7 New Build

    How high are safe temps I am at 3.435ghz @ 78C 1.341v at full load?
    COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000
    i7 920 Oc 3.435ghz so far
    mushkin 4GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple
    Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120
    LG Black 6X BD-ROM
    VelociRaptor
    Western Digital WD20EADS 2TB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •