Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Re: IP Address Issue

Quote Originally Posted by KDuniverse View Post
    Ok, that worked. It looks a little different than yours though. 12, 13, and 14 all timed out.

That just means that a node at the far end of the line (from you) is the troublemaker for you.

It 's not related to your system, is what this means.

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Ok, anything else I can check? Why am I not able to connect without my router? Is the modem giving me issues or something else? Would that slow my connection somehow?

Ok, anything else I can check? Why am I not able to connect without my router? Is the modem giving me issues or something else? Would that slow my connection somehow?

How would your not being able to connect to the modem be possibly able to slow down any non-existent connection

Remember that when you unplug and plug Ethernet connections to a computer, you need to either reboot it or run a so-called 'Release/Renew' cycle to enable that computer to ask for another IP address.

The IP address from the ISP (via modem) is on a totally different network than the IP address it gets from your router !

Until you run the Tweak-test, I can't really tell anything about speeds ...

I'm not sure. All I know is that I tried connecting directly from my cable modem and couldn't get an network address, only when connected through my Linksys router does it work.

anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure. All I know is that I tried connecting directly from my cable modem and couldn't get an network address, only when connected through my Linksys router does it work.

I don't know what your setup is (router to modem and ISP)

In the situation known to me (at home) the computer connected to the modem should be in DHCP mode and should get an IP address when it is started up (booted).

The same should be the case for your router ...

Why it would work for your router and not for your computer (direct) is a mystery to me too.
    If you just switch cables (computer connected to router, then to modem) you should remember that you should or reboot the computer or do a 'release/renew' cycle to get an appropriate IP address.
    When connected to the router, your computer gets a so-called 'internal' IP addy like 192.168.1.3 (no direct connection to Internet possible)
    When you connect your computer directly to modem, it should get an IP from your ISP with which you connect directly to Internet.

Hey Noorman, thanks for your help.

I have comcast, going to an old motorola modem they gave when they installed it years ago, and that goes to a Linksys wrt54g router

If you just switch cables (computer connected to router, then to modem) you should remember that you should or reboot the computer or do a 'release/renew' cycle to get an appropriate IP address.
    When connected to the router, your computer gets a so-called 'internal' IP addy like 192.168.1.3 (no direct connection to Internet possible)
    When you connect your computer directly to modem, it should get an IP from your ISP with which you connect directly to Internet.

Did that work ?

Have you ever checked one of these ?
    http://www.dynamicobjects.com/d2r/archives/003257.html
    http://www.acmeteks.com/comcast.html