Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: IP Address Issue

Sorry for the late response. Have been very busy with my work.

Your logs look clean with the exception of a variety of networking errors in your Event Log. Some of those errors point to p2p software, some of them point to Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Your wireless software has also added a networking protocol that may be affecting the LAN connection.

Can you try a couple of things:
    • Go to Control Panel > Network Connections
    • Right-click your LAN connection and select Properties from the context menu
    • In there, click on the Properties button
    • Go to the Advanced tab and make sure Internet Connection Sharing is not enabled. If it is, then disable it.
    • Go back to the General tab. You should have at least the following items listed:
      • Client for Microsoft Networks
      • File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
      • Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    • If you have anything extra in there, can you list it here please?
    Also, can you confirm your router's LAN IP address please? I want to confirm that the static IP address you were using was on the same IP range as the router. You can do this on a PC that is connecting to the router properly:
    • Go to Start Menu > Run and type cmd
    • type ipconfig
    • Note the address for the Default Gateway and post it here
    Failing all of that, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling Client for MS Networks:
    • Go to Control Panel > Network Connections
    • Right-click your LAN connection and select Properties from the context menu
    • In there, click on the Properties button
    • In the General tab, highlight Client for Microsoft Networks and then click the Uninstall button. Restart the PC.
    • When the PC restarts, go back into the LAN properties and click on Install. Highlight Client and then click the Add button.
    • Double-click Client Service for Microsoft Networks.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 04-26-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Not a problem.

General tab, I have listed:
    Client for microsoft networks
    File and printer sharing
    QoS packet scheduler
    Aegis protocol
    internet protocol

Default gateway is 192.168.1.1

Continue with the other suggestions I made. In the LAN connection's settings, untick the Aegis Protocol.

I got nothing. I can't understand how it was working, then to this.

Could there be any issues in the setup page of the router?
    Last edited by KDuniverse; 04-27-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I 'm thinking of a Firewall blocking LAN traffic ...

Is that a possibility ?

Did you do a ping 127.0.0.1 yet ? (from Command prompt / DOS-box)

( that 's pinging your own NIC )

What is the result ?

ALSO: if you have Default Gateway set as 192.168.1.1, then you cannot get connected through the modem direct !
    you 'd need to set that the gateway is blank ... (usually / or the one the ISP indicates)
    otherwise it 'll try to connect through that gateway address which is not existent ...

With the Gateway installed (and going from the fact that your router still has address 192.168.1.1), can you get in to the router from your browser ?

Last edited by noorman; 04-29-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added all lines from ALSO:

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

My result of the ping was no packets lost, all 4 received. 0ms.

I never changed any settings, default gateway..etc. I was using this the way it's been for years, then I decided to use a LAN cable instead of wireless and the next day it wasn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by KDuniverse View Post

I never changed any settings, default gateway..etc. I was using this the way it's been for years, then I decided to use a LAN cable instead of wireless and the next day it wasn't working.

You didn't answer all my questions: can you communicate with your router via webbrowser (just put 192.168.1.1 in the URL bar) ?
    ( your default gateway )

i did mean, that if you wanted the test with PC direct to modem to succeed, you needed at least to remove the Gateway address from the settings and also (in most cases anyway) needed to set DHCP and DNS to be auto (getting both valuaes from the ISP) !

Yes, I can communicate with my router, no problems there.

I have tried bypassing the router altogether, but had the same result. Maybe connecting and then a restart, something I can try.

I have tried bypassing the router altogether, but had the same result. Maybe connecting and then a restart, something I can try.

When using DHCP a restart or 'Release/Renew' cycle is always necessary to force Windows (and your NIC) to ask for a new IP address !

After connecting to the router and rebooting, try ipconfig /all in a DOS-box (Command line) to establish what kind of IP address your NIC now has got.

Shouldn't be anything like 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* because they are internal IP addresses with which you can never directly access the Internet.

So you mean now you're getting an IP address but you're not getting any traffic from the 'net? I didn't think to ask if you could access the router after you mentioned it getting an IP address. Since you can access the router interface, it sounds more like an issue with the router settings now. Maybe check your PC's IP address and then pop that into DMZ in the router settings and see if you get traffic that way. If so, you need to look into your access lists in the router.

When you connected directly to the modem, did you release/renew the PC's IP address (ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew)? Connecting to the modem and then restarting the PC will have the same effect. If you can only get a connection to the router by using a static IP address, it's worth checking if you can get a dynamically assigned address from the modem, but that depends if the modem is being used in Bridge Mode or not (ie. when the router is configured to manage the ISP username/password) - in which case you won't get an IP address at all from the modem. If it's not in Bridge Mode, you'll still need to release/renew the IP address.

Also:
    • as Noorman asked before, do you have any firewall software installed? If so, what is it?
    • What is the make/model of the router?
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 04-30-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post
    After connecting to the router and rebooting, try ipconfig /all in a DOS-box (Command line) to establish what kind of IP address your NIC now has got.

Shouldn't be anything like 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* because they are internal IP addresses with which you can never directly access the Internet.
    I think in this post Noorman means modem instead of router

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I think in this post Noorman means modem instead of router

That 's indeed what it should have been

Mea culpa

Still no luck. Connecting the modem directly to the pc still doesn't work. No IP. Also, I have just an xp firewall, and the modem is an old Motorola SB4100 that I got from the cable company when cable came to this area.