Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: IP Address Issue

Quote Originally Posted by KDuniverse View Post
    Well, this is the initial problem. I can't connect! Desktop, ethernet cable to router, does not work. It says the network did not assign a network addess to the computer.

You need to follow suggestions and give us answers to them to help things along (swiftly)

Was the ping 127.0.0.1 to the desktop's NIC successful ?

Did you use the (tested) Ethernet cable to connect the Desktop to the router ?

If the cable is OK and the NIC is OK, then, with the correct config (DHCP, etc.) of the NIC, things should work as well as with the laptop ...

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

0% loss when pinging. Using tested ethernet cable. still showing limited or no connectivity.

0% loss when pinging. Using tested ethernet cable. still showing limited or no connectivity.

Did you use the (tested) LAN port on the router, or another one ?

Is the NIC connector (visually) OK ??

Last edited by noorman; 05-12-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added 2nd line of text

Everything is the same. Like I said in the beginning, this was working for a few days, and then stopped.

I can't seem to renew the IP.
    Last edited by KDuniverse; 05-12-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Everything is the same. Like I said in the beginning, this was working for a few days, and then stopped.

I can't seem to renew the IP.

To Renew an IP Lease, you first need to Release the current one.

If you boot the 'Desktop' and the NIC doesn't get an IP address automatically, there is something wrong there and then / no Release/Renew will be able to fix that !

If you connect the LAN (Ethernet) cable, do any NIC card lamps/leds light up (and or Router lights/Leds) ?

They should indicate a connection and the type (10MB, 100MB or 1GB speed by colour code, etc.)

This is what's happening, when I boot, I don't get one automatically. There is something wrong here. My port on the router is lit. Solid green.

This is what's happening, when I boot, I don't get one automatically. There is something wrong here. My port on the router is lit. Solid green.

What does that indicate according to your router manual ?

Just that things are connected up, I guess ...

What happens when you boot the PC ? Does the solid green ever flicker ?
    ( data transmission )

I don't know where the manual is for the router, but I plugged my laptop into another port and the light blinks occasionally. I would assume when data is transferring or something? The other is still solid.

The light flickers on shutdown, and then on restart. It actually flickers occasionally now, but without my wireless connection, I'm unable to connect to the internet. Still getting limited or no connectivity and the ip address issue.
    Last edited by KDuniverse; 05-12-2009 at 01:39 PM.

I don't know where the manual is for the router, but I plugged my laptop into another port and the light blinks occasionally. I would assume when data is transferring or something? The other is still solid.

The light flickers on shutdown, and then on restart. It actually flickers occasionally now, but without my wireless connection, I'm unable to connect to the internet. Still getting limited or no connectivity and the ip address issue.

Now you lost me ...

I thought you had succeeded to connect to Internet wired to the router (with the laptop)

If the Desktop can't do that with the same cable and on the same port, the problem has to be in the Desktop ...

You tried and succeeded in pinging the 127.0.0.1 (Desktop NIC); now try pinging the IP address of the router !

The NIC led should flicker and you should get access to the router (if it leased you an IP address).

Yes, that's what I'm saying. My desktop can't do what my laptop does. That's the problem. I can't connect via ethernet cable to my router with the desktop.

ok, I'm confusing myself now too! I must have pinge with the wireless still connected earlier. It will not ping. 100% loss.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. My desktop can't do what my laptop does. That's the problem. I can't connect via ethernet cable to my router with the desktop.

ok, I'm confusing myself now too! I must have pinge with the wireless still connected earlier. It will not ping. 100% loss.

Can there be something blocking data going outbound ?

That could also explain the sudden loss of communications.

You could test that by Booting in 'Safe mode with Networking', then try pinging the router again (or just by running an ipconfig /all) ...
    ( that will boot Windows but without lots and lots of other stuff having been started up and running ) !

As I suggested in my last post, I think the wired NIC in the laptop is faulty. It'll cost ~$10 to get yourself a cheap ethernet card and slap that in. If the current one is onboard, disable in BIOS and forget about it.

Pinging is futile if you don't have an IP address or if any other networking devices are working (wireless, firewire, etc)

My Laptop isn't the issue, my desktop is.

My Laptop isn't the issue, my desktop is.

You jumped my post ...

Did you do the test I asked for ?

What was the outcome ?

No, didn't get to it yet. Will do shortly.

Does "unable to connect to your DHCP server" mean anything?

Test was pure fail.
    Last edited by KDuniverse; 05-13-2009 at 02:46 PM.