Exclamation Tpower I45 e6400 overclock

Hello all, i recently bought myself a Biostar Tpower I45 motherboard as my old one had no overclocking capabilities at all.
    I'm currently trying to overclock my intel e6400 to preferably at least 3ghz. So far i've managed to increase it from 2.13 to 2.73, by increasing the cpu frequency from 266 to 340, any higher than this and the computer will crash mid-use or it won't boot at all.
    I know this motherboard i'm now using is meant to have excellent overclocking capabilities, and i dont see any reason why it it won't go higher than 2.73ghz.
    I know there are many other variables other than cpu frequency to consider when overclocking, however this is the part i require help on.
    I've increased the chipset voltage to +0.175, however I only did this as a friend who is helping me overclock told me I should. Whether this value is far too high or low, I really don't know. However, any help getting this thing to overclock any higher would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Tpower I45 e6400 overclock

Increase your core voltage a notch and put your chipset back to default. Also, your ram will be a consideration so be sure your not putting it way over spec.
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

Raise the voltages when you actually have to, and not before.

The first thing to bear in mind is that you are limited by three different things:

1) The CPU final speed
    2) The chipset (bus) speed)
    3) The RAM speed.

The trick is to overclock each one on its own to find the maximum speed each will reach. Once you've done that, you can tweak to get the best possible combo: which is the highest possible CPU speed because that's all that matters in the real world.

So, first of all you drop the RAM divider and keep an eye on: make sure the RAM never exceeds stock speed. That way you know any issues are not down to the RAM. Then you lower the multiplier a couple of notches, and keep lowering as necessary to make sure the final CPU speed never exceeds stock. Now raise the bus speed. Test every 5-10MHz - a couple of rounds of 3DMark06 are good for a simple test - leave the solid testing until the end.

At some point you'll hit instability - when that happens, increase the NB voltage (leave the SB alone - it's locked speed-wise anyway). Don't add more than about 0.2V. When you can't get the bus any higher, but the CPU and RAM are below stock, you've found the max bus speed.

Now drop the bus to default, and put the multiplier back to stock. Keeping the RAM below speed, raise the bus speed again, 5-10MHz at a time. Again, keep the RAM below stock speed. Test each time, as before. When you hit instability/lock-ups etc, raise the CPU voltage until they go away. Repeat until any of a) you get scared, b) the increased voltage makes no difference, c) the temps get ridiculous. Now you know the max CPU speed.

Finally, go back to stock CPU speed and multiplier, and increase the bus again, but this time do not reduce the RAM divider - the RAM will crap out long before the CPU. Riase the DDR voltage , but don't go over 2.30V.

Now you know the max possible for each of the three variables, so you can tweak to your heart's content.

M

Thankyou both for your replies, as for my RAM, im using this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146049
    OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 GOLD XTC Memory Kit CL5(5-5-5-18).
    I'll try increasing the core voltage now, and put the chipset back to default.

edit:
    AMD Fanatic, pardon me for being thick but what did you mean exactly by core voltage? IF you meant FSB voltage, i tried increasing that by 0.1v, putting my chipset back to default, and increasing my cpu frequency from 340 to 350, although it failed to boot.
    Last edited by Brazi; 04-18-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: tried different settings

Quote Originally Posted by Brazi View Post
    AMD Fanatic, pardon me for being thick but what did you mean exactly by core voltage?

He means the thing in your BIOS called "CPU voltage". This is the second most important o/c tool after the bus speed.

M