Quick Download of Video's

Ryan,

You still continue to run a superb site that is my number 1 resource for news and reviews of new technology. The new video reviews look great, extraordinary quality I don't find in other online videos, but the download speed of the video is somewhat excruciating. I have been DLing the Gaming Rig video for the last 15 minutes, have folded 2 loads of wash and still only about 60% done DLing. Its not even close to watchable speeds and at the moment, I have it paused about 27 seconds into the video awaiting for it to complete the download so I don't have any further 'buffering' issues. The video to my 10Mb pipe barely makes it to 1Mb download speeds. My connection to the net is quite flawless and solid 10Mb speeds documented repeatedly using speedtest.net. Yet this video is taking forever when it should have been about a 2 minute download at 10Mb speeds.

If there is a way of having alternative download sites where the bandwidth exceeds 1Mb download speeds, I and I bet many other viewers, would be much appreciative.

FWIW, I watched your video with Leo last week, and the speeds were not much better then either.

Sorry my friend, but this is the one and only irk I have had in over 8 years of coming here.

T

Re: Quick Download of Video's

Hey Ron. Thats interesting to know. I just went back and rewatched the one with Leo [episode 21 I think] and it seemed to play normally.

Ill also post a note for Ryan so he's sure to get at the issue.
    That would suck if for some reason the videos lag.

Maybe lets start with this. Anyone else having trouble?

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7053
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-23-2009 at 01:32 PM.

im watching that episode without issue as i type this. it is playing as it download...not waiting for it to download all the way. no buffering issues. playing without lag and im at work, on my notebook, wireless, at 5 megs rated download speed. time warner cable.
    hmm...

The one I mentioned Joe^^ is in Flash format. Could a version of Flash make it be slow for some viewers?
    I just redid it again and it played just like it did for you/

i dont know much about flash...but i wouldnt think it being flash would have much to do with speed. would probably rely more on file size and upload speed.

thats my best guess any ways...
    hmm...

Yeah. I hear you but I had to start somewhere.
    My thinking is first get some other members to look at the linked video.
    If it works for everyone else? Then it seems logical Ron's problem is either with
    his particular service[ISP]
    or perhaps a version issue with adobe
    or something else
    If we can rule out two of those?
    Then next.

Seems like a logical first step:
    Define the "problem" [by feedback]as a Ron issue[narrow] or an "everyone" [macro] issue.

In other words if nobody else is experiencing the issue [based on replies to my link]
    then we might rule out some macro issue. It may point to something more narrow.
    Like an isp problem or perhaps some software issue.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-23-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Yeah. I hear you but I had to start somewhere.
    My thinking is first get some other members to look at the linked video.
    If it works for everyone else? Then it seems logical Ron's problem is either with
    his particular service[ISP]
    or perhaps a version issue with adobe
    or something else
    If we can rule out two of those?
    Then next.

Seems like a logical first step:
    Define the "problem" [by feedback]as a Ron issue[narrow] or an "everyone" [macro] issue.
    well,

I had the slow loading issue this morning as well, around 5:00 am central time

Could the issue lie with viddler?

Well thats what we need to hear.^^^ Cant solve a problem without knowing what it might be. I know sometimes BellSouth gets the vapors and runs like crap.
    But if others reply? Maybe we can figure out the specific problem.
    Maybe viddler was jammed this AM?

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Well thats what we need to hear.^^^ Cant solve a problem without knowing what it might be. I know sometimes BellSouth gets the vapors and runs like crap.
    But if others reply? Maybe we can figure out the specific problem.
    Maybe viddler was jammed this AM?
    Now it seems Ryan or Joe may have changed the hosting of the video, Looks like its at youtube now.

No issues with loading/watching the video now

Well lets hope that solves Tig's troubles. Or if it was an isp temporary issue?
    That has corrected itself. If none of that helps maybe look at this page Ron.
    I wonder if it could be some adobe setting? If other stuff at say youtube is working fine then Im stumped.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...s_manager.html

Yup, youtube DL is far faster than viddler. It's not lightning speed, but at least its DLing faster than I can watch it. Thanx y'all. It did degrade the quality a little bit, but more than tolerable.

I think viddler quality is unique and a great source for relative high definition (as opposed to HD) video, they just need a better way of distributing it.

btw Jim, the Leo vid i watched all 100 some odd minutes worth last Fri night without much issue at all. In fact it may just be the quality as tbh, I think the Leo episode had lesser quality video than that of the Gaming Rig vid. Perhaps that is the issue, the quality was more than they can effectively handle under a mass load. I dunno, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

T

I am having no issues with it at 10:57 pm ssct time on the first link you guys posted

Thanks for the comments on this guys. I have been working with (read: bitching) at Viddler about this very issue. The videos of me and Leo are done in a lower quality setting than the video review of the Digital Storm system was done in; I think that is where the problem came in.

I noticed the very slow load times on that video and thus moved it to YouTube until we can figure something else out.

Probably in the not-too-distant future we will have our own flash player with locally hosted flash video files.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--