Linux Laptop To The Rescue

Last week we had a division meeting, inviting several home office speakers, all of whom have PowerPoint presentations. In the field we all have company "blessed" laptops, all running WinXP, all with basically the same software package. I do our division presentation, we use my company-issued laptop hooked to the projector for the meeting. Everything is going fine until we plug in one of the home office presenter's USB thumb drives. Presentation won't load. Reboot computer, it still won't load. Try it on another DM's company-issued laptop, won't load. He calls IT, they tell him it may be the fact that he did the presentation on an updated desktop at home office and the field computers hadn't received the update yet. They can't provide a solution. Out of desperation, I pull out my Linux laptop, plug in the projector, fire it up and plug in the thumb drive. Launch Open Office Impress and the presentation opens right up. Guy states it actually looks better than on his office computer. Second presenter's presentation loads on the company-issued laptops, but several of his fonts won't load and it looks like crap. Plug it into the Linux laptop, you get the point....

IT calls first guy back about an hour later, they think they may be able to help him. When he tells them what happened, they instruct him to bring his thumb drive by IT when he gets back, so they can check and make sure my laptop didn't put any viruses on it.

Go figure.

Folding in memory of Joan Marie 10/16/1959 - 02/21/1968
    Requiescant in pacem

Re: Linux Laptop To The Rescue

Lol! You got to look out for those brick throwing penguins! They attack windows when ever they can!

Great story!

Looks like an 07 Office data running on 03 Office w/out updates....

Linux to the rescue indeed..

Linux fixes everything. There was once a file on my computer running xp that I knew wasn't a system file and I thought it was a virus so I renamed it to see if my computer would speed up. It wouldn't boot up again so I couldn't even change it back. I fixed it by booting from a flash drive running puppy linux and changed it back and it worked again. Hurray Linux. In the end it turned out that the file I deleted was part of the memory hogging antivirus I installed because windows needs antivirus. Now I use Ubuntu because it doesn't need antivirus or anything else and it always works for everything.

No OS is immune to viruses and attacks. It's just that each OS has different means of how it can be crippled.

You'd be surprised how vulnerable some Ubuntu systems can be if they are not properly configured.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter256 View Post
    No OS is immune to viruses and attacks. It's just that each OS has different means of how it can be crippled.
    While all OS have malware, one does not really have to worry about viruses because most users run with limited privileges and keep their system up-to-date so that viruses have difficulty reproducing in the Linux environment. To my knowledge there has never been a widespread pandemic of any strain that appproaches the magnitude of Windows viruses. Trojans and rootkits, on the otherhand, should be of great concern.

Yes, if one uses Linux properly (limited privileges, and keeps it up to date), Linux is very secure. But the user is the biggest weakness in Linux. A lot of users who are new to Linux generally comes from a Windows background. And Windows has been teaching them bad habbits for years.

Haha, thanks for sharing your story. I had a good laugh, and it reminded me that my seldom used, almost-bare, Debian thumbdrive is still a good idea to carry around. Ya never know ...