Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Slow read speed with Intel SSD

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Click on the actual drive in device manager and see what detais it's showing when you have setting raid on.
    Do you have intel matrix storage manager loaded ?
    The Detail tab shows "Disk drive", under the General tab "location 0" for the SSD and "location 2" for the WD.
    If the computer boots up it shows the "Intel Matrix storage manager", I never tried it using RAID.

It's somewhat confusing.With raid on and your ssd disk missing from ide devices I expect it to show under a sata/raid controller.
    If the drive was without an os on it, you could have tried an experiment and partitioned it into two equal partitions and set up a raid 0 on it ( raid on a single disk) to see if it gets raid drivers and higher speed.

Still thinking about this...

Most laptops are limited to 120 mb's / sec...

Quote Originally Posted by Lachigan View Post
    Most laptops are limited to 120 mb's / sec...
    According to Dell the XPS M2010 supports 250MB/sec.

It's somewhat confusing.With raid on and your ssd disk missing from ide devices I expect it to show under a sata/raid controller.
    If the drive was without an os on it, you could have tried an experiment and partitioned it into two equal partitions and set up a raid 0 on it ( raid on a single disk) to see if it gets raid drivers and higher speed.

Still thinking about this...
    CMB,
    if nothing magic happens today I could try that tomorrow. So you can do a RAID 0 setup with one drive? Just put two partitions on it in the "Disk Mangagement"? And then reinstall Vista?

A brief look around shows that the mobile version of the ich7 only runs at speeds of sata150 and not sata II.
    So maybe dell says it can run at 250, but that would be with 2 drives in raid 0.
    Installing the disk as 2 partitions in raid 0 may not help you much, as they are sharing the same channe, unlike 2 seperate disks on 2 channels, and this channel is maxed at 150

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&e...+speed&spell=1

Yes you can often make a raid 0 on one disk.
    My first thought was that maybe then you would get the raid driver if yoiu made a single disk raid 0 and be running sata/raid instead of ide mode. But on installation that requires you to use a floppy disk and supply drivers during the installation. Raid 0 in theory can double throughput because you are writing the data across 2 drives on diffeernet channels , each drive getting half the data.
    But I would guess that you are running in sata mode as opposed to ide compatible, ( hence the disappearing of your drive from the ide channel) but it is limited to sata150.
    Making a raid 0 on the single disk is still going to limit you to 150.
    Did you notice a slight increase in speed with hdtune going from raid auto to raid on ?

A brief look around shows that the mobile version of the ich7 only runs at speeds of sata150 and not sata II.
    So maybe dell says it can run at 250, but that would be with 2 drives in raid 0.
    Installing the disk as 2 partitions in raid 0 may not help you much, as they are sharing the same channe, unlike 2 seperate disks on 2 channels, and this channel is maxed at 150

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&e...+speed&spell=1
    CMB, Intel said the ICH7 would support 250MB/sec.

Yes you can often make a raid 0 on one disk.
    My first thought was that maybe then you would get the raid driver if yoiu made a single disk raid 0 and be running sata/raid instead of ide mode. But on installation that requires you to use a floppy disk and supply drivers during the installation. Raid 0 in theory can double throughput because you are writing the data across 2 drives on diffeernet channels , each drive getting half the data.
    But I would guess that you are running in sata mode as opposed to ide compatible, ( hence the disappearing of your drive from the ide channel) but it is limited to sata150.
    Making a raid 0 on the single disk is still going to limit you to 150.
    Did you notice a slight increase in speed with hdtune going from raid auto to raid on ?
    The best speed I got with No Raid at 119.9MB/sec, with RAID On 115.1MB/sec.
    So my only option is to buy another SSD?

Well if you get another one, yes you can raid 0, but then again you can do that with 2 standard drives. Raid 0 on 2 drives has twice the potential of losing data also, though maybe not with ssd's.
    The main problem seems to be that your sata controller is sata 150 and not sata 11 (SATA 3 Gbit/s)
    At least that's what it looks like from googling around.
    You can try and double check with dell.
    You can also try your ssd on a desktop that supports the faster sata and see what hdtune comes up with.

Well if you get another one, yes you can raid 0, but then again you can do that with 2 standard drives. Raid 0 on 2 drives has twice the potential of losing data also, though maybe not with ssd's.
    The main problem seems to be that your sata controller is sata 150 and not sata 11 (SATA 3 Gbit/s)
    At least that's what it looks like from googling around.
    You can try and double check with dell.
    You can also try your ssd on a desktop that supports the faster sata and see what hdtune comes up with.
    CMB,
    if I would use two WD's I would get 150MB/sec in RAID 0?

Edit...
    I guess that with 2 ssd's in raid 0 you might get up to 200mb/sec ??
    With 2 regular disks you may get 150 ???
    I don't really know for sure.

Ah it depends on the drives, if they are 5400 rpm then probably much lower.
    The burst speed may be quite high.
    Have to go look at some charts for drives in raid 0 sata150.

Ah it depends on the drives, if they are 5400 rpm then probably much lower.
    The burst speed may be quite high.
    Have to go look at some charts for drives in raid 0 sata150.
    My WD 500GB does 78MB/sec with my setup right now. Would it double in RAID 0?

Should look around for benchmarks to compare.Stick to HD tune for comparisons as they all give various different reports burst speed etc.
    In theory if you put 2 ssd's in raid 0 you may come close to doubling throughput, perhaps 1.75 times. Same goes for 2 regular drives.
    In your case, 2 regular drives in raid 0 might match or exceed a single ssd.
    I'll see if I can find some benchmarks, because right now I am just guessing.