Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Slow read speed with Intel SSD

To CMB, thank you for all your help. I found one chart about ICH7, and it seems the mobile one is 150MB/sec. If that's the case then I still don't understand why my Intel stops at 119MB/sec?
    Here is the link:
    http://digitalskin.web.fc2.com/Chipset/Chip_intel.html
    I am still contemplating if it makes sense to set up a RAID 0 with two WD's. Thank you again, Bo

Quote Originally Posted by Munitech View Post
    To CMB, thank you for all your help. I found one chart about ICH7, and it seems the mobile one is 150MB/sec. If that's the case then I still don't understand why my Intel stops at 119MB/sec?
    Here is the link:
    http://digitalskin.web.fc2.com/Chipset/Chip_intel.html
    I am still contemplating if it makes sense to set up a RAID 0 with two WD's. Thank you again, Bo
    150 is theoretical maximum.

with ssd's and hdd's in general the sustained read and write speeds aren't a huge deal, it's the 4k random reads and writes that provide real world performance increases.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    150 is theoretical maximum.

with ssd's and hdd's in general the sustained read and write speeds aren't a huge deal, it's the 4k random reads and writes that provide real world performance increases.
    Brandito,
    here's a screen shot of my 4K reads:

http://munitechmotorcars.com/XPS~M20...lDiskMark2.jpg

So the read speed is actually slower than the write speed?
    Is that normal?

those are retardedly good 4k read and write speeds.

for comparison my 74gb 10k rpm raptor gets ~0.65/1.52 MB/s on the 4k read/write.

not to mention every other speed you have there pretty much obliterates my raptor as well.

while you are limited by your chipset for your sequential read and write speeds as well as burst speeds, they're not near as important and you aren't going to miss out on a whole lot.

frequently accessed data is rarely sequential anyways.

4k read and write will make your overall desktop usage just seem more fluid, snappier even.

basically i envy your ssd right now, and so should anyone else still using mechanical storage.

i'm just waiting for prices to come down more and capacities to go on the rise before i bite.

edit: btw, is any of that info on your desktop wall paper functional? looks like it could be, but i see the weather is different from what is shown in your sidebar gadget.

that'd be neat if all those gauges were displaying computer information.
    Last edited by Brandito; 05-05-2009 at 03:49 PM.

those are retardedly good 4k read and write speeds.

for comparison my 74gb 10k rpm raptor gets ~0.65/1.52 MB/s on the 4k read/write.

not to mention every other speed you have there pretty much obliterates my raptor as well.

while you are limited by your chipset for your sequential read and write speeds as well as burst speeds, they're not near as important and you aren't going to miss out on a whole lot.

frequently accessed data is rarely sequential anyways.

4k read and write will make your overall desktop usage just seem more fluid, snappier even.

basically i envy your ssd right now, and so should anyone else still using mechanical storage.

i'm just waiting for prices to come down more and capacities to go on the rise before i bite.

edit: btw, is any of that info on your desktop wall paper functional? looks like it could be, but i see the weather is different from what is shown in your sidebar gadget.

that'd be neat if all those gauges were displaying computer information.
    Brandito,
    finally some good news. I guess I should not complain after my boot time is around 25 seconds. I'm just thrown off that the SSD does not get the speed as advertised.
    What do you mean by "is any of that info on your desktop wall paper functional"?
    If you talking about the desktop picture, it's just a picture used as a wallpaper from a Infinity prototype. Thanx, Bo

Brandito,
    what would happen with a second SSD as RAID 0 with my setup?

not sure really, you would get speed increases i'm sure, but i dunno how that'd affect your sata 150 interface.

i probably wouldn't bother, unless you require added space from a raid 0 or maybe the redundancy or raid 1. seems like a lot of money though to me.

Brandito,
    I was just thinking out loud. I'm fine right now I. I can't upgrade the 2.33GHz processor anymore and I would like to keep this laptop for a while because nobody comes out with a 20" screen (so far). Thank you guys for your time. This is the best forum (and best information on replies)I found by the way. Thanx, Bo

well if you ever wanna give that ssd away i'll happily dispose of it for you

well if you ever wanna give that ssd away i'll happily dispose of it for you
    Brandito, chances are slim. I just bought a PC with a Quad Core Q 9300, WD 7200 rpm, 3Gb DDR2 Ram, EVGA 8800 GTX 768Mb Video Card, installed Windows 7 RC and guess what. Even it has a higher Windows Experience Score, opening applications and web browsing it is not much faster than my laptop which makes me giggle. After all it seems my XPS M2010 is pretty quick. On the weekend I will put the SSD in the PC and check the speed there. Thank you again for your time, I'll let you know how I did next week, have a wonderful weekend, Bo

In all likelihood you will see improved benchmarks if it is sata 3gb and you run in ahci mode, perhaps the 250mb/sec.
    Whether it will appear faster... ?
    It really depends on what you use it for, if you are not reading/writing large files, probably not

CMB,
    I'll let you guys know next week. Thank you, Bo

You'll likely find that your laptop chipset technically supports SATA2 by Intel, but has been "downgraded" to SATA1 by manufacturer design or BIOS implementation. If this is your problem, there probably is no solution.

I've got a Dell Studio15 and it's got the same issue - X25-M performance was the same as you are seeing. In a PC with SATA2 in AHCI mode it performs at full speed.

My X25-M in my laptop is actually bricked right now as it stopped working after 6 weeks. X25 went slight slow... rebooted... won't boot. Disk shows up in BIOS, shows up with Intel BIOS flash tool, but can't be flashed as it's already at the latest level. It's seriously dead.

When it was working though it was very fast, albeit with the speed cap limitations of SATA1. Did heavy VM work on 2008 Srv with my laptop for those 6 weeks.