Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

10 reasons you'll want to install Ubuntu 9.04

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Re: 10 reasons you'll want to install Ubuntu 9.04

been using it for the past 6 weeks.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.4ghz/8GB DDR3/NvidiaGT430/Ubuntu 11.10

The 3d support for ATI cards is somewhat inaccurate. If you have an x1000 series or older card, you will not be able to use the proprietary fglrx drivers, and you have to use the open source drivers. 3d performance and gaming is piss poor with the open source drivers.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    The 3d support for ATI cards is somewhat inaccurate. If you have an x1000 series or older card, you will not be able to use the proprietary fglrx drivers, and you have to use the open source drivers. 3d performance and gaming is piss poor with the open source drivers.

Aren't there older proprietary fglrx drivers (on the AMD/ATI website) anymore ?

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post

I don't think it 's new; the latest kernel update for 8.04 did trash my ATI driver too, or the driver it 'brought' to the table wasn't compatible with my old GF card that 's in that rig either.
    Being just above noob level, it cost me a lot to get things right again, although the login screen just isn't 100% since then (wrong resolution and out of center login box)
    Don't know why they did that; I thought Linux was very nVIDIA friendly

Don't know why they did that; I thought Linux was very nVIDIA friendly
    what kind of card is it? i used to have a 7300GS, and now use a 9500GT, and both work great in linux.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    what kind of card is it? i used to have a 7300GS, and now use a 9500GT, and both work great in linux.

A EN9600GTS Silent ...

Yes Catalyst 9.3 and older support X1000 and older cards. Unfortunately it's not compatible with the new xserver in Jaunty. Catalyst 9.4 works in Jaunty, but not with r500 and older cards.

Not so bad for desktop users since we can change our cards (guess which company will get my business next?), but anyone with a laptop and integrated mobility radeon or the like is screwed.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    Yes Catalyst 9.3 and older support X1000 and older cards. Unfortunately it's not compatible with the new xserver in Jaunty. Catalyst 9.4 works in Jaunty, but not with r500 and older cards.

Not so bad for desktop users since we can change our cards (guess which company will get my business next?), but anyone with a laptop and integrated mobility radeon or the like is screwed.

That 's not good news for Ubuntu and noob users who want to come aboard with older PC hardware

I 'm not sure, but they might as well go with Mandriva; it 's long been a very good beginners Linux distro (my brother-in-law supports it for years already / he 's a Unix Pro and strong Linux supporter / he should know).

Stick to 8.04/8.10 for now if you have ATI cards.

I don't agree with #2. No version of Gnome is a reason to do anything but run screaming away from it.

That said, I've been running Kubuntu 9.04 for a while now, and VERY happy with it. Definitely will agree with the fact that it's faster, fastest booting OS I have now. Although once booted, sidux is faster than it.

Quote Originally Posted by TLMiller View Post
    I don't agree with #2. No version of Gnome is a reason to do anything but run screaming away from it.
    i would have to say you are in the minority, but if it works for you, that's great. but you would not catch me installing any distro with kde4 on a production machine. you simply can not compare the stability of gnome with what kde4 brings to the table. sure, it looks good, but..... perhaps in time.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    i would have to say you are in the minority, but if it works for you, that's great. but you would not catch me installing any distro with kde4 on a production machine. you simply can not compare the stability of gnome with what kde4 brings to the table. sure, it looks good, but..... perhaps in time.

I don't agree there; I ran KDE twice and after a while, the Package Manager went belly up and I couldn't recover from it, so I dumped KDE (Kubuntu) twice and since 7.04, my wife's rig runs Ubuntu with no problems.
    Not a problem either upgrading to 7.10 and 8.04 ...

Give me Ubuntu/Gnome any day (over KDE)

I'm another that doesn't agree. Yes KDE4 looks good, but on this machine - which is slightly old - gnome seems to run smoother, faster and I like the layout / look.

I don't agree there; I ran KDE twice and after a while, the Package Manager went belly up and I couldn't recover from it, so I dumped KDE (Kubuntu) twice and since 7.04, my wife's rig runs Ubuntu with no problems.
    Not a problem either upgrading to 7.10 and 8.04 ...

Give me Ubuntu/Gnome any day (over KDE)
    what don't you agree with? we feel the same way. i said i didn't like kde.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521