Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 10 reasons you'll want to install Ubuntu 9.04

I'll run just about anything before gnome. It, IMO, is the ugliest and most annoying DE out there. KDE 4 previous to 4.2.2 I wasn't very happy with (which is to say I thought it was utter garbage that should never have been claimed to be release worthy), 4.2.2 is pretty nice. But on any system, gnome is a no-no for me. I won't use it at all. It for me is like windows. I'll go without a pc before I touch Windows or Gnome.

at least gnome isn't completely broken like kde4. you would really go without a pc before using gnome? seems a little extremist to me, especially compared to windows. but hey, if it helps you sleep at night.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.4ghz/8GB DDR3/NvidiaGT430/Ubuntu 11.10

Yes, actually I would. I really do consider it that ugly and annoying.

I like KDE4. XFCE is nice. I still miss KDE3. Some of the lightweight WM's are nice, but I don't run them because of requiring to configure them through text files (I understand why they do it, and agree with it, just personally don't feel like doing it). But Gnome, never could come to stand it.
    Last edited by TLMiller; 05-03-2009 at 04:02 PM.

It's good to see Ubuntu runs faster. It's still Ubuntu, though. Hehe, no thanks.

But good to see. Linux is seeing good things lately as a whole.

Ahem,

BTW, consider using fluxbox, and install thunar and gamin on top of it (yes, uninstall fam). It doesn't get any better than that, imo. Fluxbox is compatible with the majority of competing window manager tools. It's a lion tamer of sorts. No desktop icons, if you can stand that. It makes sense, though. Desktop icons are a stupid Windows concept. Good way to speed up the desktop, and editing the menu is the simplest anywhere. The syntax is simple, elegant, and evident. You pick up on it in 3 seconds without being a programmer. Don't know the path to the executable? Use the whereis command. And most programs are a snap to run from the terminal temporarily at least. BTW, thunar is XFCE's file manager. So the concept is, you only have your "desktop" up when you need it. It's a menu item now, and it's a regular resizable window. There you are. Gnome and KDE both suck royally. I've used both for years, and they flat out suck. Gnome more than KDE until lately. Lately KDE is toast (so bloated and screwy!). Just my take. lol. XFCE owns up until you enter Fluxbox. When you use Fluxbox for any amount of time, you eventually come back to it. How easy is that to do in Ubuntu anyway?
    Last edited by notdrugged; 05-06-2009 at 05:26 AM.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Quote Originally Posted by notdrugged View Post
    How easy is that to do in Ubuntu anyway?
    FOr you minimalistic freaks out there

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

No desktop icons, if you can stand that.
    Years ago, that was actually my first peeve with Gnome, that it was so freaking hard to get RID of desktop icons (I was on dial-up, and anything not included with the distro took forever to get). I'm religious about no desktop icons. Having them absolutely incenses me. :-D

And yes, that would be a nice combo. I've ran Flux with Thunar before. Never done gamin. I like it, but as said before, in my old age, I simply don't feel like taking the time to set that all up so it looks good through text files...I want gui configuration tools so I can click click done. Obviously, *box will not (and should not) ever have them, since adding gui management tools for it would defeat the purpose of it being a lightweight windowmanager.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    FOr you minimalistic freaks out there

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems
    Minimalism is where it's at with Linux, IMO. Doing all the hard work up front gives you total control of your machine. That in itself is indispensible, and a bit more difficult to attain with the buntus (keeping up with the 'buntus?)

You do realise that supporting Fluxbox isn't the same thing as the minimalist ideal? Fluxbox is just a damn good window manager. Ubuntu will always be Ubuntu. And that's fine, because they're a good crowd and it's good to have a mainstream distro. I just simply don't like it.

I find it easier to not be bound by some proprietary config. Yes, this requires work up front, but the work later...pssssh...it's like butta!

TLMiller, what gets me more than typing the short lines in the ~/.fluxbox/menu file, is a huge junked up menu of junk I will never use I have to pick through every time I open it. It takes at least a hundred times more time if you accumulate it. I am not a programmer, and I don't need applications for remote control airplanes on mars either.

But I do use vi when I don't want syntax errors caused by invisible what the hells found in nano and vim. Ubuntu doesn't support vi (vim is not vi, btw). Which is like a bicycle that doesn't support wheels.

I feel like a crotchity old . Call me a freak if you will. I'll wear the badge proudly.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

^^^ Some day you have to try Gentoo. You sound like a good candidate for it.

BTW, I never really found any difference between vi and vim. I always use vim out of habit. Most distros that I've seen will link vi to vim.

Minimalism is where it's at with Linux, IMO. Doing all the hard work up front gives you total control of your machine. That in itself is indispensible, and a bit more difficult to attain with the buntus (keeping up with the 'buntus?)
    to each their own i guess. i used to be into doing custom installs, and actually i still do them once in a while, on a spare drive, just to stay sharp. but overall, i'm just too lazy now to bother. i have a real nice rig now, and ubuntu runs like a dream on it. i'm not missing anything by going with a "proprietary" config, as you put it. it's still way better than windows ever was for me.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    to each their own i guess. i used to be into doing custom installs, and actually i still do them once in a while, on a spare drive, just to stay sharp. but overall, i'm just too lazy now to bother. i have a real nice rig now, and ubuntu runs like a dream on it. i'm not missing anything by going with a "proprietary" config, as you put it. it's still way better than windows ever was for me.
    Other than my rig being old, agreed. It still runs fabulously, and I'm quite happy. I did try the customizing everything myself for a short time, but it wasn't my style.

Quote Originally Posted by TLMiller View Post
    Other than my rig being old, agreed. It still runs fabulously, and I'm quite happy. I did try the customizing everything myself for a short time, but it wasn't my style.
    what are your specs, and what are you running?
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

X2 4400+ on a MSI board, GeForce 9600 GT, 3 GB DDR2, 2x160 GB hdd.

Sidux as my primary OS and Kubuntu 9.04 also installed.

And if you need more bling here is Ubuntu with the 3d Desktop enabled

http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/Ubuntu_Li...op_30_2007.php

Later! Btw I use Mandriva and Ubuntu/Elive,,,they are all good!

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    ^^^ Some day you have to try Gentoo. You sound like a good candidate for it.

BTW, I never really found any difference between vi and vim. I always use vim out of habit. Most distros that I've seen will link vi to vim.
    Gentoo. That's what I need to switch Xubuntu out to. Good idea. I just need the time to fool with it. lol.

Vim is a fork of vi. Different developers. But I suppose vi is more "maintained" than "developed." Vim is more advanced. So it tends to break, and vi doesn't. So, I don't hate the vim developers, I just need something to fall back on when vim and nano are spacing out.

Yeah, Gentoo is something you want to play with when you have time. If you're in a rush, don't even think about it.

Mind you, my last install of Gentoo went fairly quickly. The actual install time was delayed more by my net speed then my CPU. My Quad core really ate it up!

----------

Wow, I can't even imagine what would space out vim.