Question Best Way to Organize Data Between PC & NAS?

I need some help because I'm sure there are better ways to organize my data. Here is my current setup:

Desktop PC w/ 2 HDDs

HDD1 500GB:
    1st Partition is 100GB for OS and programs
    2nd partition is 365GB for all other data including user folders (2 users and Public remapped folders here), MUSIC, PHOTOS, and VIDEO folders

HDD2 300GB:
    Currently used for general backup prior to getting the NAS. This will be 300GB of free space now.

I just got a 1TB NAS where I will backup the folders on the 2nd partition so I can stream the media throughout the house. Before I get into structuring the NAS I want to see if anybody has a better layout for me that doesn't involve repartioning drives. Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: Best Way to Organize Data Between PC & NAS?

I know this goes against not repartitioning, but with that setup, I'd be inclined to make the 500GB drive a storage drive and have Windows on the 300GB drive. Only one partition per drive. Means more storage space on a drive that's not committed to Windows.

Without repartitioning, you should look at dropping all of your media onto that second drive and/or the NAS. It'll be quicker to read than using a secondary partition on the Windows drive because it won't be as active as the Windows drive. Better for streaming or copying files (eg. when backing up to the NAS)

I see you've already remapped your user folders, which was my other suggestion. It'd be waaay better to have that stuff on the second drive than on a second partition.

Re: Best Way to Organize Data Between PC & NAS?

Thanks for the advice. The reason I'm sticking with the 500gb as my main drive is because it has a MUCH faster read/write speed than the 300gb. After your post I decided to continue to manage the media on the second partition of the 500gb for photos, music and videos and use SyncToy coupled with a nightly scheduled task to sync the folders to the NAS. This way I have redundancy and the NAS has all the media to stream. Since my NAS doesn't have an online media server I use Orb pointed to the NAS folders for external access.

I'll wipe the 300gb and use it for true backup since the sync to NAS could be a disaster if any of the media folders were accidentally wiped out and it synced the blank folder across both devices.

I think I have an ideal setup for future expandability now if we add another computer.