Page 15 of 71 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Re: Let's talk California

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    The only problem with Canada is the weather. Take Edmonton for instance. Normal January high:16F
    Normal January low 4F

Too cold for this gringo! It got up to 60F here today and I washed the car in the driveway.
    ^^^ Yup. Lived all but a few years of my life here in the SF Bay Area. Cold weather sucks! Especially if it involves snow/ice being on the ground for weeks on end as I discovered living in the midwest. It's 58f in the shade here now that the fog has burned off. Prolly feels low 70's in the sun. Gonna mow my lawn in a few... and I won't have to dig through a foot of snow to do it.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

-31c (@-23F) with windchill at the moment here. Coldest its been in about 2 weeks. Mostly floating around the -20c (@-4F) point.

Here, this will warm your soul: My BBQ this morning and assistant table.....

That is a 5 foot fence. Forget about my sons bike there on the left, all you see is the left brake handle....

...buuuut, I do not miss 90 days of 104F weather like I had growing up in the valley. Maybe I didnt visit Tahoe enough as a kid, but I really enjoy the snow haha. Here in Edmonton we get four VERY distinct seasons and when it snows, thats my que to get caught up on my gaming.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by mpulliam View Post
    After 28 years of living in Cali (Central Valley, south of Sac Town) I moved to Edmonton, Canada.

11 years here and I havent even gone back for a visit.

-=M=-
    Having lived everywhere in California that there is to live, I can tell you that you aren't missing much if you spent most of your Cali life living in the central valley near Sacto.

TBH, there are only a few places left that I would live in California. Up in the forest with Dutch would be cool. But if I had to pick a place nearest and dearest to my heart where I was forced to retire, I would choose San Luis Obispo or Monterey/Carmel.

In spite of the numerous negative changes California has witnessed over the past couple of decades, it remains a magnificent place with a large variety of unique and beautiful places. Granted, the larger cities have become unwieldy and far too congested to be comfortable. The valley, although a wonderful place to grow stuff, absolutely sucks as a place to live year round. Putting those aside leaves a large selection of wonderful places to live. Personally, I love it up here at the foot of the Sierra and will live out my time here.

We've found that we can enjoy ourselves here like nowhere else. Vacations are no more than a few hours drive to any of a large number of great places. For day trips, whether its an outing to Yosemite or snow skiing, its a gorgeous hour or two drive away... no freeways, no stop lights, just bitchin' mountain roads.

The people here are pretty mellow, hard working and typically conservative. Neckties are a rarity and Jeeps get more respect than Lexus sport sedans. Jeans and hiking boots are what you wear, and sweaters are always handy. Open fires for yard debris. Wood stoves and beer. Everybody owns a chain saw and snow shovel. We still have steam engine trains and use canoes. I dunno about other people, but I love it here, it's better than anywhere else and believe me, I've been to many other places.

Were I the boss, I'd outlaw mobile homes. Other 'n that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post

Gee- and I was just going to buy a double-wide and park it in your yard ...
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

^^^

Besides my lavish praise for where we live... its important to keep in mind the ridiculous goings on in the state.

Like in Bezerkeley. A great place in its day. Today? Not so much. Its very congested, dirty, gettin' generally run down and you guessed it, dang near broke. Broke as in financial trouble. So what do they do? Why not pay for addadicktome operations? Sure, why not? Wanna grow some boobs above that crank? Go to Bezerkeley. They'll set you up. They don't have any freakin' money, but its only fair in Bezerkeley. One requirement... you need to get a city job. Flippin' burgers won't cut it unless ya do it in the school cafeteria.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1P1HA3JL.DTL

^^^ "Gender reassignment" ... nice ...
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

^^^

Besides my lavish praise for where we live... its important to keep in mind the ridiculous goings on in the state.

Like in Bezerkeley. A great place in its day. Today? Not so much. Its very congested, dirty, gettin' generally run down and you guessed it, dang near broke. Broke as in financial trouble. So what do they do? Why not pay for addadicktome operations? Sure, why not? Wanna grow some boobs above that crank? Go to Bezerkeley. They'll set you up. They don't have any freakin' money, but its only fair in Bezerkeley. One requirement... you need to get a city job. Flippin' burgers won't cut it unless ya do it in the school cafeteria.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1P1HA3JL.DTL
    Whenever I go to Berkeley nowadays, it just feels like Richmond is creeping farther south and east. Within 20 years the entire East Bay is going to look like it.

We've found that we can enjoy ourselves here like nowhere else. Vacations are no more than a few hours drive to any of a large number of great places. For day trips, whether its an outing to Yosemite or snow skiing, its a gorgeous hour or two drive away... no freeways, no stop lights, just bitchin' mountain roads.

The people here are pretty mellow, hard working and typically conservative. Neckties are a rarity and Jeeps get more respect than Lexus sport sedans. Jeans and hiking boots are what you wear, and sweaters are always handy. Open fires for yard debris. Wood stoves and beer. Everybody owns a chain saw and snow shovel. We still have steam engine trains and use canoes. I dunno about other people, but I love it here, it's better than anywhere else and believe me, I've been to many other places.

Except for the steam engines and open fires for yard debris (I think they send you to maximum security prison for that around here), you just described Colorado Springs. Hehe, I'm even wearing my everyday jeans, hiking boots, and golf shirt combo right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter
    With many cities on the verge already... I cannot
    see how the state can avoid the reality much longer. Either
    make the necessary realistic adjustments to public wages
    and pensions or go straight into bankruptcy. Failing to do
    either of the above or both are sure signs of legislative
    failure.
    It's all good. Brown will lull us to sleep and after we've waken, we'll
    all have free tickets to Dizzyland to take our minds off any worries.
    After all, it's "the happiest place in the world".

What budget, what worries, what the hell ya all talkin' about ?
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 01-18-2011 at 04:14 PM.

http://www3.washingtontimes.com/news...ss-trade-ills/

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Tinker
    Maybe we will all get fortunate. Maybe Obama will sell California to the Chinese. It will get us almost out of our national debt and rid us of a good many of the idiots who led us into it.

William Jennings Bryan.

Good!!

Good News: No Bailout for the States

Republican leaders say they will not allow Congress or — more important — the Fed to bail out states struggling under suffocating pension burdens and other spending excesses. This is excellent news for budget hawks, and probably very bad news for municipal-bond investors. (Not that I’m giving investing advice, but — egad.)
    Where-o-where to save monay... seeing as ole moonbeam ain't touching his union pals pensions. Guess I'll just ass to dutch's most excellent starter list..

Welfare Tab for Children of Illegal Immigrants Estimated at $600M in L.A. County

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

^^^

Antonovich arrived at the estimate by factoring in the cost of food stamps and welfare-style benefits through a state program known as CalWORKS. Combined with public safety costs and health care costs, the official claimed the "total cost for illegal immigrants to county taxpayers" was more than $1.6 billion in 2010.
    That’s just the largest county of California’s 58 counties can you imagine what the total tab is for the whole state. I wouldn’t be surprised if the total was equal to California’s $19 billion debt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._in_California

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post

I wonder if gov. moonbeam has the same writers obambi uses.

The next 4 years will put the final nails in the states coffin… What a frigging nightmare…