Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: Let's talk California

Scooter ^^^ They can’t help themselves they’re addicted to spending taxpayer money.

Voter intervention doesn’t help one little bit. What they need is padded cell therapy and a healthy dose of water boarding.

A$$holes…

That was your favorite part? Not mine. I love it when they say stuff like
    "We". For example, instilling the horror of losing programs WE ALL need.
    Really? Like I need welfare? Pfft. @ssholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerhawk View Post
    That was your favorite part? Not mine. I love it when they say stuff like
    "We". For example, instilling the horror of losing programs WE ALL need.
    Really? Like I need welfare? Pfft. @ssholes.

Yep, that’s another annoying one too. Pull the old heart strings and try to create a guilt trip.

Not to worry.. the geniuses up in SF have found a way to make some $$. I was watching a discussion on the local taxpayer paid.. leftist platform.. NPR affiliate the other night. It's comical to see the enviroweenie types whom are typically among the first to levy "big brother" accusations acting like good lil lemmings when the "going green" narrative is attached to legislation.

The pro side simply repeated the mantra "we're not going to fine people". Ya ... right.. that's why you put the fines in the legislation.. cuz you have no intention of using them. Coming to a city near you.. brownshirts in jackboots sifting through your trash.

S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

Failing to properly sort your refuse could result in a fine after several warnings, but Newsom and other officials say fines will only be levied in the most egregious cases.

Fines for almost all residential customers and many small businesses - anyone who generates less than a cubic yard of refuse a week - are initially capped at $100. Businesses that don't have proper bins face escalating fines up to $500.

. . .

"In any scenario there will be repeated notices and phone calls before we even start talking about fines," said Jared Blumenfeld, head of the city's Department of the Environment. "We don't want to fine people."

. . .

"Our role is to pick up the garbage and to make recycling as easy and convenient as possible for our customers," Reed said. "Our collection drivers will not become enforcers."

. . .

It was co-sponsored by frequent Newsom critics, Supervisors Chris Daly and Ross Mirkarimi, while two of the mayor's most reliable allies, Supervisors Carmen Chu and Sean Elsbernd, were the only opponents. "This is a little too much big brother, even for me," Elsbernd said. "We've got a huge problem in my district and a lot of other parts of the city with people who go in and out of garbage cans at night scavenging. Who's going to be responsible for that? Are we creating a whole brand-new problem?"

Elsbernd also questioned assurances that fines would not be aggressively pursued against residents, saying similar promises were broken on legislation against leaving trash cans visible.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

^^^ Ya see, those danged city folk don't have a danged clue. Up here in the hills, we do it the easy way... your trash is sorted at the trash site by people getting paid by the company that picks up the trash. Its certainly reflected in the bill you pay every month and some sorters get a job. Bonus, the paying public don't have to worry about it, stick their hands in it or make a big stink out of it.

Now what's better, to hire trash sorters or trash police? Which one actually DOES something?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    ^^^ Ya see, those danged city folk don't have a danged clue. Up here in the hills, we do it the easy way... your trash is sorted at the trash site by people getting paid by the company that picks up the trash. Its certainly reflected in the bill you pay every month and some sorters get a job. Bonus, the paying public don't have to worry about it, stick their hands in it or make a big stink out of it.

Now what's better, to hire trash sorters or trash police? Which one actually DOES something?
    Funny thing here is our recycle collection cans are separated, one side for plastic.. the other for paper. I'm sure we paid a premium for these "special" collection cans. Every Wed morning I get to see the truck stop at our home... the mechanical arm extends.. grabs the can.. and promptly dumps both sides into the same hopper.

Many cities do exactly what yours does at a cost, they sort it at the collection center. Usually subsidized from the feds and your tax dollars. Most of those "green" waste systems claim to turn a profit.. up until the time you ask them how they'd do without the fed and local subsidies. Almost all recycling is an economic money loser. I don't mind that.. I just hate the dishonesty that they claim to be turning a profit or self sustaining.

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

I like our trash service. It's yet to be Californicated so it's simple. Everything gets thrown into our big 96 gallon container. No sorting, no "recycling", no blue or green containers, no worries.

I know one thing, I drive in San Berdoo a lot of the day, and you
    would NOT believe how many people are getting pulled over by the
    Man. One way to induce cash into the local, county and state coffers
    is to cite as many as possible. It was announced a while back in the
    San Bernardino Sun paper that the SBCS and SBPD had got a bit
    of money from some fed fund to blanket traffic enforcement.

Hey when ya see a guy on a 10 speed bike being pulled over, you
    know our shat is weak. However it's been handed down to the
    SBPD not to go crusin' the local Home Depot's or Lowes where
    there are "bystanders" waiting out on these stores boundaries.

Cost too much to get out of the car and ask to see the green
    cards.

I've just about given up. As far as Arnie..I guess it's getting a lil
    lonesome sleeping out in the living room. I suppose that's
    why he's crawed back in the sack with the dark side or wherever
    Maria's from..

That guy had it right.."There's a sucker born every minute" Trouble
    is we who are working our 6's off here in this state just trying to
    make it day to day are the ones being played and played bad.

I feel for my fellow Calie's who are doing the right thing by working
    so hard and just making it, but I got to say I've had it with freakin'
    freeloaders especially this legislature. We need to go back to a
    part time legislature and keeps these creeps out of Sac.

http://fresnobeehive.com/opinion/200...t-tme_non.html

BRING IT !
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 06-14-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Its not just welfare either..
    I am in santa cruz.

USCS has put out for bid a 500 million dollar project to expand the school!!!
    Where did they get 500 million? 'They' say it is from some government grant and not part of the budget... OK well take the frigging grant away and pay some bills !!!!

Also they recently posted in the local paper the salaries of the police and firemen... What a racket... Firemen make well over 100,000 year.... Some of them make almost 200,000!!!!! WTF??!?!! I think there are maybe 2 fires a year here in Santa Cruz... So we are paying some dude to be basically an emt and work oh maybe 2-3 days a week for $100,000????!?! .. Of course they always are getting new trucks, new ambulances, and new stations as well... (you know if you make over $100,000 you have to have your own pool table, racquetball court, spa, fooseball, all of the amenities) .....This is ridiculous... We have to shed the grip these labor unions have on our state... This is ABSURD!!!!

Our system is a joke and needs to be revamped.. WHere is the terminator.. What happened to him?.. Who took his balls away?
    LOTS of Koolance water cooling hardware/cases/coolers/ for sale cheap. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Not to worry.. the geniuses up in SF have found a way to make some $$. I was watching a discussion on the local taxpayer paid.. leftist platform.. NPR affiliate the other night. It's comical to see the enviroweenie types whom are typically among the first to levy "big brother" accusations acting like good lil lemmings when the "going green" narrative is attached to legislation.

The pro side simply repeated the mantra "we're not going to fine people". Ya ... right.. that's why you put the fines in the legislation.. cuz you have no intention of using them. Coming to a city near you.. brownshirts in jackboots sifting through your trash.

S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.
    Here in Santa Cruz, we have legislation for sorting your garbage... If you are found with any recyclables in your garbage, the garbage guys are not supposed to take your garbage and you are supposed to get a fine.. I have been waiting for my first fine... I try to throw everything away in the proper container, but i certainly dont pick through my trash.. if one of the containers is full, everything goes in the other container..garbage or recycle.. Seems like everything is recyclable anyhow... But I have yet to see a fine levied out to anyone in the county here , after almost 3 years of the 'recycle' law.. No one takes these laws seriously... When they passed the law, they did it for the attention, without any regard to enforcement.. Can you imagine trying to get the police to dig through peoples garbage checking for the recycle content... what a joke
    (I do get notes from the garbage guys about the Styrofoam peanuts... They hate those things blowing around so i try to bag them up...)
    LOTS of Koolance water cooling hardware/cases/coolers/ for sale cheap. PM if interested.

^^^ Another happy camper from California…

No garbage sorting here. We just have to be careful with toxins and flammables. But twice a year they do have free collection of toxins, flammables and anything else that’s bad for the environment. Free dumping of household trash and yard clippings. Sometimes they even let you get away with free dumping of household appliances. Refrigerators, stoves, tvs’ and stuff like that.

That all sounds good but we do pay extra property taxes for the convenience.

California gets no bailout love from White House

California hoped that their dire economic predicament might get enough sympathy from the Obama administration to get a GM-style bailout. Sympathy, the White House has in abundance, but not cash — at least not for self-indulgent states who don’t want to exercise some fiscal discipline. The White House finally drew the line on throwing cash at the insolvent:

The Obama administration has turned back pleas for emergency aid from one of the biggest remaining threats to the economy — the state of California.

Top state officials have gone hat in hand to the administration, armed with dire warnings of a fast-approaching “fiscal meltdown” caused by a budget shortfall. Concern has grown inside the White House in recent weeks as California’s fiscal condition has worsened, leading to high-level administration meetings. But federal officials are worried that a bailout of California would set off a cascade of demands from other states. …

After a series of meetings, Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner, top White House economists Lawrence Summers and Christina Romer, and other senior officials have decided that California could hold on a little longer and should get its budget in order rather than rely on a federal bailout.
    Gee, you think? States have sovereign rights in the Constitution, including the right to tax and govern themselves. California citizens should be embarrassed to run to the federal Treasury to solve their budget crisis. The Congressional delegation should demand fiscal discipline and responsibility and resist federal encroachment on California’s sovereignty.

That is what a bailout will mean, as the administration strongly hinted:

These policymakers continue to watch the situation closely and do not rule out helping the state if its condition significantly deteriorates, a senior administration official said. But in that case, federal help would carry conditions to protect taxpayers and make similar requests for aid unattractive to other states, the official said. The official did not detail those conditions.
    Perhaps Congress should set the rules so that any state applying for a federal bailout will get treated like the District of Columbia. Since they seem keen on surrendering their sovereign status, they can have non-voting delegations to the House and Senate until they repay whatever federal dollars they take to cover their shortfall. Considering the vast majority of California’s elected representatives on Capitol Hiill, that would be in practical terms a net plus for Congress, although an egregious violation of the Constitution. (Yes, I’m being glib.)

California needs to “bail” itself out by cutting spending and eliminating unnecessary services. The state has spent the last several decades expanding government far beyond the necessities of actual governance and extending into social engineering. It has one of the highest tax burdens in the nation, which belies the notion that the legislature just hasn’t taxed Californians enough. Now that this last avenue of responsibility-shirking has been closed, Sacramento needs to start making the tough decisions that they’ve avoided for most of the last 40 years.

It’s at least somewhat heartening to see the White House express a limit to federal bailouts. Too bad they didn’t stop before getting to automakers.

Will they do it? So far … not so good:

Tobacco and oil severance taxes are key elements of a revenue-raising package that will be unveiled today by Assembly Democrats. …

“The problem is that this economic crisis was caused by an enormous and rapid drop in revenues, so to ignore the need for new revenues is irresponsible,” said Evans, D-Santa Rosa.

Besides the tax on cigarettes and oil extraction, the Assembly possibilities include closing corporate or business loopholes that were approved as compromises in past budget negotiations.
    Jon Fleischman says Arnold won’t play along this time:

The attempt by Democrats to hike taxes are not surprising in the slightest. After all, we are talking about Democrat caucuses that are split between complete union hacks, whose fealty to the public employee union bosses leave them unable to vote for cuts that would negatively impact the core mission of the unions (to increase the wages and benefits for union members, as well as increase the size of the union) — and liberal ideologues to whom making any cuts in social welfare programs, let alone cuts of this magnitude, are heresy to even consider.

Fortunately for California taxpayers, Governor Schwarzenegger is not tone deaf, and has made it crystal clear over and over that he will not support tax increases as a part of resolving the state’s fiscal crisis (at least going forward). So I would expect a pretty quick veto from the Governor if these or other taxes are passed on a majority vote and placed on his desk.
    We’ll see.

-The Gipper

Well this thread's gone way down hill. Everyone's "talking trash" in it now.

Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    Its not just welfare either..
    I am in santa cruz.

USCS has put out for bid a 500 million dollar project to expand the school!!!
    Where did they get 500 million? 'They' say it is from some government grant and not part of the budget... OK well take the frigging grant away and pay some bills !!!!

Also they recently posted in the local paper the salaries of the police and firemen... What a racket... Firemen make well over 100,000 year.... Some of them make almost 200,000!!!!! WTF??!?!! I think there are maybe 2 fires a year here in Santa Cruz... So we are paying some dude to be basically an emt and work oh maybe 2-3 days a week for $100,000????!?! .. Of course they always are getting new trucks, new ambulances, and new stations as well... (you know if you make over $100,000 you have to have your own pool table, racquetball court, spa, fooseball, all of the amenities) .....This is ridiculous... We have to shed the grip these labor unions have on our state... This is ABSURD!!!!

Our system is a joke and needs to be revamped.. WHere is the terminator.. What happened to him?.. Who took his balls away?
    that's nuts. i know a fireman. he got paid $45,000, but then with an emt, high altitude rescues and drivers certification (he had to know EVERY street in the city) he got $75,000.
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

CA legislature "fixing" a budget crisis the only way they know how.. tax.. tax.. tax.. and then.. tax a lil more. I guess rejecting every one of their thinly veiled tax increases was not a big enough clue that we dun want no mo f*cking taxes. Trim the fat you f*cktards! This means your union pals too!!

Plus.. Obama and the fed are already sucking up all the available credit.. there ain't none to be had. So forget selling bonds to cover the gap.. the Chinese are not interested.

learn your lessons morons. You've chased nearly anyone with the ability to pay your f*cking outrageous taxes out of the state. Businesses got their clue years ago.. which is a major factor as to why we are so f*cked today.

California Democrats Seek Tax Boost as Battle Looms (Update2)

June 16 (Bloomberg) -- Democrats who control California’s Legislature said tax increases are needed to help close a $24 billion deficit, setting up a battle with Republicans that may leave the state short of cash next month.

Speaker of the Assembly Karen Bass, a Los Angeles Democrat, said higher taxes and fees are needed instead of all $16 billion in cuts proposed by Republican Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. His reductions would eliminate entire welfare programs and leave 1 million children without health insurance. Democrats yesterday suggested a $15 automobile license fee and said they may consider a 9.9 percent per-barrel charge on oil produced in the state.

The Democrats’ stance sets the stage for a confrontation with Republican lawmakers because California law requires a two- thirds vote to approve tax increases. While Democrats control both chambers, they are six votes short of a supermajority. State Controller John Chiang has warned lawmakers since May that they had until June 15 to fill the budget gap or the state will be unable to pay all its July bills.

“The budget that we will be voting for on the floor will be a balanced approach and it will be a combination of cuts and new revenues,” Bass told reporters in her office yesterday.

The state’s projected cash shortage, absent a fix to next year’s budget, led Standard & Poor’s late yesterday to place California’s credit rating, already the lowest among U.S. states, under review for a possible cut.

‘Fundamental Capacity’

“Although we continue to believe the state retains a fundamental capacity to meet its debt service, insufficient or untimely adoption of budget reforms serve to increase the risk of missed payments in our view,” S&P analysts, led by Gabriel Petek in San Francisco, said in a news release.

Fitch Ratings on May 29 revised California’s credit-rating outlook to negative, indicating a longer-term likelihood of reduction if lawmakers don’t act quickly to solve the latest budget problems. California’s full faith and credit pledge is rated A by S&P and Fitch, and a comparable A2 by Moody’s Investors Service, five steps below the top investment grade.

California taxable 30-year Build America Bonds paying 7.55 percent traded at about 93 cents on the dollar today to yield 8.18 percent, down from 94.7 cents and 8.02 percent yesterday, according to Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board trade data.

State Parks

The Democrats’ new $15 vehicle registration fee would raise about $300 million a year that would be used to finance the operation of California’s 275 state parks. Anyone driving a vehicle with California license plates would be allowed to enter state parks without paying an entrance fee. Schwarzenegger wants to eliminate all funding for parks.

The latest tax proposal comes after six Republicans broke ranks with their party in February and approved $14 billion in tax increases to end a four-month impasse over how to close what was then a record $42 billion deficit. To fill that gap, lawmakers also agreed to cut $15 billion in spending.

The deficit reopened since then as California’s economy worsened amid the national recession, though Schwarzenegger and Republicans have said they won’t support tax increases again.

“Tax increases are unacceptable,” said Schwarzenegger’s spokesman Aaron McLear.

No Federal Help

Without a balanced budget in place, officials including Chiang have said it would be costly -- and potentially difficult -- for the state to secure the loans it needs to pay bills until the majority of tax collections are received later in the fiscal year. Treasurer Bill Lockyer’s request that the U.S. Treasury Department use some of the Wall Street bailout fund to guarantee such a debt sale was rebuffed.

The Obama administration is monitoring California’s budget crisis and is leaving it to state leaders to find a solution, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said today during his daily briefing with reporters.

“We agree with the Obama administration,” McLear said. “We have to live within our means. This is our own mess and we are on our own to get out of it.”

Bass said the budget plan may be put up for a vote as early as next week. It would include $13 billion in spending cuts instead of the $16 billion sought by Schwarzenegger. Another $6 billion would be raised through higher fees and taxes, transferring funds between accounts and fiscal years, and accelerating personal and corporate income tax withholdings.

To contact the reporter on this story: Michael B. Marois in Sacramento at mmarois@bloomberg.net;

-The Gipper