Asrock 890FX 1090t 2x4 Gskill 1866 RipJaw WD 1T 6.0 mushkin 850w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 8 Gskill RipJaw 1866 WD1T 6.0 ocz 750 w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 2x4 Gskill Rip Jaw 1600 Ocz evo720
    DFI 790FXB M2RSH PII 955 2x1Gskill 1600 Saph 4670 Ocz Evo 720W
    DFI 790FXM2RS PII 720 2x1gig Gskill 1600 Sapphire HD3400
    DFI Lp ultra D SLI Opti 148@300x10 @33c 1 gig Crucial ballistix 4000

Re: Let's talk California

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAS LYNN View Post
    First IOU in our neighborhood,down the street,a neighbor wanted to know how to get food with it.I told her go to B of A or another bank I think they're
    honoring them cause of the interest.The state informed me that monday the State Consumer Assistance Program would be back up and running paying for for smog repairs, we would NOT be paid in IOUs.Interesting priorities in this state. Global warming before food.
    Does that really shock you? this is government... more so cali ... this shouldnt really make you gasp

^^^ Wait until the entire country gets accustomed to California's style of governance and we enjoy a double dose.

Its gonna take forever and a day to right the ship of fools.

shock me .hardly.Government in this country needs to be reigned in.They decide what we need now,NOT the people.You people are too fat we'll pass laws that wont allow you to get fat.We vote for laws or referendums,they use our tax dollars to fight them in court.In Orange county here we voted on turning El Toro marine base into a huge park.The orange county supervisors used millions of our tax dollars to fight it.That s### needs to stop. I wont even mention the controversial laws passed by vote around the country that government deems shouldnt be.Government by the people, for the people,NOT the elected cretins that decide what their constituents need despite often and open criticism by these same constituents.Apparently the Governator got the picture when they wasted millions on tax measures we voted down.He says he'll veto any budget with tax increases.Meanwhile the state cretins argue about COW TAILS.I dont know anyone who, with all the crap going down, is concerned about cow tails,unless it is to fill the larder with the tightening food budgets most of us face.
    Shock me? At my age nothing shocks me except maybe that people keep voting for morons like Pelosi,Feinstein,and Boxer.
    Last edited by THOMAS LYNN; 07-05-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    asrock x370 taichi,16g gskill flarex3200 wd250mu 3wdblack 1 tera
    Asrock 990FX FX8120 8G Gskill 2133 2x WD2T 6.0 pc p+c 950w
    Asrock 890FX 1090t 2x4 Gskill 1866 RipJaw WD 1T 6.0 mushkin 850w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 8 Gskill RipJaw 1866 WD1T 6.0 ocz 750 w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 2x4 Gskill Rip Jaw 1600 Ocz evo720
    DFI 790FXB M2RSH PII 955 2x1Gskill 1600 Saph 4670 Ocz Evo 720W
    DFI 790FXM2RS PII 720 2x1gig Gskill 1600 Sapphire HD3400
    DFI Lp ultra D SLI Opti 148@300x10 @33c 1 gig Crucial ballistix 4000

If there is one thing that will do in online business-

Online Sales Taxes

But Arnie's been showing some stones lately:

Over the last couple of weeks, Amazon has canceled affiliate relationships in several states under the threat of having to collect sales tax in those markets. The online retail giant has pulled arrangements with marketing affiliates in North Carolina, Rhode Island and Hawaii -- states where legislators have passed measures to require Web-based sellers to collect sales tax if they have affiliates in the state.

Amazon has also reportedly threatened to do the same in California, where lawmakers have mulled a similar bill. But rival e-tailer Overstock.com Inc. /quotes/comstock/15*!ostk/quotes/nls/ostk (OSTK 11.79, -0.51, -4.15%) said Thursday that it has reversed its own decision to cancel affiliate relationships in the state after receiving assurances from Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's office that the state will not pass such a measure.
    However
    "Our recent survey suggests that 'avoiding sales tax' was only the 6th most important reason for buying things online," Lindsay wrote in a note Tuesday. "We note that New York has not seen a material drop in its levels of online retail since sales tax collection was imposed last year."
    Lies?

A sales tax would almost make no sense to buy online for me anymore. The prices may be cheaper, but when you add shipping AND sales-tax, I don't think I can make outfits like Newegg work for me price-wise. Moreover, stores provide me the benefit of eyes & hands-on- so many of my accounts would likely wane or die with a tax.

I guess some people must like the mail-order convenience of having it brought to their door, because the "cheaper" reason won't fly anymore for a lot of stuff.

ADDED: I'm afraid that in this economy- it may happen.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 07-06-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

George Will chimes in:

http://www.themorningsun.com/article...0005756659.txt

California's cascading crises prefigure America's future unless Washington reverses the growth of government subservient to organized labor. The state cannot pay its bills, poorly educates its young, and its taxation punishes whatever success that its suffocating regulatory regime does not prevent.

Whitman, a Roman candle of facts and ideas, insists, "We do not have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem of epic proportions."

Twenty-five percent of California's revenues come from income taxes paid by the 144,000 richest taxpayers, so "if one of them leaves, it's a really bad thing."
    The biblical reference is not lost on me....
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

I know California has a lot more rich people than that. They have enough in the state that can bailout America and that's through having them pay the taxes, not take all of their income.

^^^ We do have more "rich" people than that. But the "144,000 richest" pay a quarter of the bill.

Don't read into that that the rest is paid by poor folks. It isn't.

When one of my "rich" clients moved to Texas, he saved himself over $250,000 a year in California state income tax. More than $20,000 per month. Over $2,000 a day, excluding weekends, including holidays. Yeah, that would motivate me too.

That's annually. In ten years, that adds up $2.5 million.

^^^

Lots of "rich" and not so rich Californians move out of state when they retire (many to my neck of the woods). Takes a lot of money out of the state along with the income taxes they would be paying if they stayed. Lower cost of living (at least on the eastern side of the state) and no state income tax makes Washington a relative bargain compared to California.
    Brian

This could easily have gone into the "quote of the day" thread.

Santa Rosa Democrat Noreen Evans, explaining to us idiots...
    Well, there is this mantra out there - "live within our means" - and while that sounds really nice . . . and it sounds really responsible, it's meaningless. Our means are completely within our control . . . We have just given away huge corporate subsidies in February; we have given away other tax reductions over many, many years; we've created tax loopholes; in good times, we routinely give away taxes, and then in lean times we never replace those tax deductions or close those loopholes. . . . So "live within our means" doesn't mean anything. The fact is, we have a state with a population that have [sic] needs that we have a moral obligation to provide.
    That explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    This could easily have gone into the "quote of the day" thread.

Santa Rosa Democrat Noreen Evans, explaining to us idiots...That explains it.

The fact is, we have a state with a population that have [sic] needs that we have a moral obligation to provide.
    But...you've made that meaningless too...

William Jennings Bryan.

^^^ What struck me was the arrogance of a politician claiming she was part of the mechanism that can and does "give away" taxes through tax reductions.

This is a sick and growing mentality that a thief can give by reducing what they take.

I'm tired of you guys saying the legislature isn't looking into the
    budget mess. Here is proof they ARE talking about ...something ?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...detracked.html
    As California faces what one official this week called a complete meltdown of state government, some lawmakers have their minds on other matters.

Like creating a blueberry commission. Or standing up for pomegranate juice. And, in what passes for health reform in the nation's most populous state, ensuring that the name tags of medical workers are in 18-point font.

Those are among the hundreds of bills being debated in the California Legislature as the state faces a $24.3 billion deficit and the prospect of running out of cash by late July.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has urged lawmakers to act swiftly so the state can pass a budget before the fiscal crisis deepens. He's proposed eliminating health care for 1 million low-income children and the program that helps welfare recipients find work. Billions of dollars are expected to be cut from education, 5,000 state workers face layoffs and many of the others face furloughs and salary rollbacks that amount to a 15-percent pay cut.

So lawmakers' attention to less pressing issues earned a rebuke from the Republican governor, who has backed the idea of converting the Legislature to part-time status.
    See ! There's no waste of time or money going on here..and just
    think, what happens in Ca many times spreads to the nation.

You know, like cancer.

^^^ The legislature is in a state of shock and dismay they really don’t get it…
    Last edited by tucker; 07-07-2009 at 10:57 PM.

...the idea of converting the Legislature to part-time status.
    Brilliant!!!

More ideas like this, please.