Thread: database

database

I have a customer that asks for prices on lots of and does sometimes buys, He is asking for something that I have never done, basically a craigslist clone website and am wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to set it up, he wants to buy servers and everything else needed.
    A Geek Since The Vic 20
    In the beginning there was only 1 cpu
    920@3.4,170 Opty@2.8,3500
    ]

Re: database

What DB platform? What language is the website going to be coded in? Is it going to be the same scale and need clustering and such as Craigslist?
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

platform and language have not been decided upon this guy knows nothing and i know little i personally think it will flop but he thinks it will be as big as craigslist
    A Geek Since The Vic 20
    ]

I would probably advise you to hire someone that can actually implement such a system as trying to get it done over a message board is going to be a mess.

If you already knew a language or two and had an idea about what kind of backend you were using we could point you in the right direction... but having no real foundation to build on you are signing up for a gargantuan labor of love with a lot of growing pains.

Since I am pretty proficient with ASP.NET and MS SQL Server, if I was doing your project I would start with the "classified" starter kit that http://asp.net provides. It is open source and could give you some good ideas on structure and implementation. Looking at the code base can also give you an idea of exactly what you are getting into.

http://www.asp.net/downloads/starter-kits/classifieds/

Perhaps the PHP/Ruby guys on here might have some better advice.

I only intend to supply him with the equipment I have no intention of doing the software but i need to give him prices and let him hire a software guy
    A Geek Since The Vic 20
    ]

How are you going to know what to price without the software guy?