AMD SB700 Port Muliplier SUPPORT

Hi all,

I just built a new HTPC and I have a JNC81 mini-ITX which uses SB780/700.

I have an Addonics box which uses a 5 port Port Muliplier and I want to use indivdual drives via eSata on the JNC81. I installed the AMD AHCI RAID Compatible driver for Visat x64 (using Windows 7 x64) sucessfully upon initial install.

Officially I guess SB700 does not support PM, but I found someone who claims it does.

"I was browsing around the thread and found this exchange:

Post 3153: "Hi, does the GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H rear e-sata port support 4-5 hdd bay case?"

Post 3154: "No. The rear eSATA port is connected to SB700 which does not support PM, hence eSATA does not support 4-5 HDDs."

I accidentally found out that the SB700 does support port multipliers. I have two Sans Digital TRM5-B cases (5 drives each, Silicon Image multiplier) connected to eSATAs from my SB700. All 10 drives show up in Vista and can be used as individual drives, striped, or concatenated.

Here's the trick that works on my J&W Minix board using the provided eSATA port and an internal SATA port passed to an eSATA connector.. both from the SB700.

Select AHCI (not RAID) in your BIOS but then go ahead and load the AMD AHCI Compatible RAID driver into Vista. Voila! All the drives appear!

I found this by accident... I had normal RAID drives on the SB700 using the AMD RAID BIOS then later installed the really crappy Silicon Image PCIe card that came with the TR5M-B cases, and couldn't get it to work. On a lark, I connected the TR5M-B to my eSATA port, and it all worked in Vista! Later on, I decided to un-RAID my boot SSDs (the AMD RAID BIOS time made SSDs in RAID 0 slower than 1 SSD alone... I'm currently shopping for a cheap and fast-booting RAID 0 card) and removed the AMD RAID driver. The TR5M-Bs stopped working. I back-tracked and discovered that loading the AMD AHCI RAID driver brought them back to life!"
    I can't get it to work yet, and I have AHCI enabled (from the start) in the BIOS.

When I post I see the RAID prompt or maybe AHCI prompt, not sure, I'll have to check. I'd really like to get this working and not use the Addonics Sata>USB PM compatible adapter.

Should I try a fresh install and install the AMD RAID in Windows with the .exe instead? The poster indicated something about having RAID disableed in BIOS, which I took to mean just have AHCI selected so I'll have to check and see what that prompt is at POST; I think it mentions AHCI. He is using a J&W board with SB780/700 like me.

best
    DC

Re: AMD SB700 Port Muliplier SUPPORT

GOT IT!

Well I will be dipped in fudge, it works here after a little frustration, well, a lot.

Forget Drobo, and I don't need RAID, now my HTPC is hooked up to a Addonics Storage tower with 5TB and each drive is separate; one bay is hot swap slide-in for easy access. I can't believe I got it working.

I popped the jumper off the raid header in the storage tower 5 PM card, and then I installed a newer AHCI driver from AMD (2009), a year newer than the old one. Now all drives show up via Esata on SB700 board... which the board maker and Addonics said would not work!!!!

simply amazing given that I almost gave up 10 minutes ago. hats off to Rod for picking up on this....!

Re: AMD SB700 Port Muliplier SUPPORT

That is awesome. Very Jealous.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.