Page 53 of 289 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Re: Obama's "Public" Health Care Plan

Quote Originally Posted by falcon_view View Post
    Sure has been a lot of passion on this subject. What I want to know where was this kind of passion while the banks were setting us up for this big fall? Sure there was some whispers and a little talk but no fire or passion. All it took to cool the republicans was for Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd to say everything is alright and the republicans tuck their tails back to their corners crying I we are no match for that kind of power.

I guess the republicans needed some talking points in the future while the banks crashed the world economy.

You must mean Chris Dodd, Barney Frank and the banks were setting us up. Check out the links below and you might find out there was a lot of passion.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=442980
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=461609
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=461596

Sebelius says the blimp has been taken down. The public option is back.

Beware of a new name: Co-op.

This is getting predictable. When something isn't working, toss out a new name.

For example, flag@whitehouse.gov. is now closed. All kablitchers and moaners are now to go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/realitycheck/contact to report fishy stuff.

Why? 'Cause somebody else (don't know who) stuffed their 'puter full of e-mail addresses. Some "third party". Maybe.

Change.

^^^ Healthcare Reform = Health Insurance Reform

Quote Originally Posted by watertown28 View Post
    ahhh yes there was some trying on bushes part... but of course god forbid congress or the other monkeys in elected office would actually let him do it.

To be honest, I wanted the banks to go ream a carrot up you know where... you make bad bets you live with it. But of course those guys you named have been on the political inside anyways for who knows how long. On top of the WE THE PEOPLE NOW own toxic assets... you know us tax payers... we taking the garbage off the books for the banks so it makes em look all good and stuff.

And you know what really grinds my gears even more? when people point at the banks as the lone person responsible for this whole mess.... guess what... what about the "MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEM OMGZOR I NEED A NEW 500 TRILLION DOLLOR HOUSE WITH 69 ROOOMMMSSS~!" yeah the stupid consumer. WE ARE JUST AT FAULT AS THE BANKS ARE. I have 0 pitty for people who could not see the Adjustable fuging them down the road when the % reset.
    There is some truth to that- but I can't be happy landing there.

The banks were given a Trillion or so dollars to lend by the Fed, relaxed or dispensed with extremely important and proven lending standards, and basically didn't bother to check to see if the borrower could manage a loan. Who was it that might have suggested the fortunes that were to be had in an unrealistically inflating market? I have issues with ARMs existing at all and would illegalize them along with naked shorts if I could. And no one is twisting anyones arm to offer this sh*t either- let alone take it- except, of course, good ole' Uncle Greed.

So I have as much or more issue with someone swindling a high risk public with easy credit, who can also buy-off Uncle Sugar to bail them out and who can exterminate competition by being too big to fail.

For me, the signing of the TARP bill was one of the saddest days our country has yet to truly regret.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Looks like the AARP has again mistaken it's members as simple "old fools". Publicly claiming to not endorse the messiah'splan.. while running ad campaigns to denigrate it's opponents. Their members are voting with their feet and wallets... 60,000 in one month..!

Thousands Quit AARP Over Health Reform

(CBS) CBS News has learned that up to 60,000 people have cancelled their AARP memberships since July 1, angered over the group's position on health care.

Elaine Guardiani has been with AARP for 14 years, and said, "I'm extremely disappointed in AARP."

Retired nurse Dale Anderson has 12 years with AARP and said, "I don't wanna be connected with AARP."

Many are switching to the American Seniors Association, a group that calls itself the conservative alternative as CBS News Investigative Correspondent Sharyl Attkisson reports.
    NBC POLL: PLURALITY OPPOSES PUBLIC OPTION

And according to a brand-new NBC News poll, 47% of Americans -- a plurality -- oppose the public plan, versus 43% who support it. That's a shift from last month's NBC/WSJ poll, when 46% said they backed it and 44% were opposed.
    Some refreshing honesty from a (D)... this is NOT an attempt at "reform"... it's a hostile takeover.

Video: Dem wants to eliminate private health insurance altogether

. . .

S: It sounds like you’re saying you think there is no need for us to have private insurance in health care.

W: I’ve asked you three times. What is their value? What are they bringing to the deal?

S: Again… I’m astounded by your question. It sounds like you’re suggesting that there’s no need to have a country that’s run on free market principles.

W: Time out. Let’s focus on one thing at a time. This isn’t a commodity, Joe. Health care isn’t a commodity.

S: You’re saying that health care is different than everything else.

W: Health care is not a commodity.

S: But you are making the conservatives’ point. You are making the point of the people at the town hall meetings who say this is Barack Obama’s opportunity to get rid of private health care and turn it completely over to the government. I’m sitting here stunned, saying Oh My God, you’re making the point of the health care protesters.

W: If Barack Obama doesn’t want to do it, I want to do it.
    &

S: So, Anthony, I figured it out over the break. You actually do want the federal government to take over all of health care.

W: Only in the sense that the federal government took over health care for senior citizens 44 years ago.

S: You want to expand that for all Americans.

W: Correct. I want Medicare for all Americans.

Last edited by AMDScooter; 08-18-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

A common theme...

Massa: I will vote against their opinion if I actually believe it will help them.

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

&

Yup.. you keep on saying it. And a growing majority keep on knowing it's complete bullsh*t.

A very serious problem

When a President repeatedly makes assertions that are obviously false, he has created a problem for himself that, to us, looks nearly unrecoverable. Breaking trust with a vast number of the American people while looking stupid doing so is a formula for disaster. As the Washington Post has reported, President Obama won’t stop repeating the same falsehood over and over again. Obama says:

“I keep on saying this but somehow folks aren’t listening: If you like your health-care plan, you keep your health-care plan. Nobody is going to force you to leave your health-care plan”
    Obama’s statement might be true for the nanosecond after Obamacare becomes law, but at its heart is obviously and deeply untrue.

As the AP reports about the public option in the House bills, “the Democrats’ option would force individuals from their private plans to a government-run plan, a claim that the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office supports.” And even without a public option, as Powerline notes, companies could stop offering the plans that they do now, and the so-called “insurance exchanges” are under no obligation to match the benefits of anyone’s existing plan.

It is a very bad thing for the country to have a situation like this. Not only does it bode ill in a political sense for the next three years, but one is forced to wonder about the psychological makeup of a man who keeps uttering such rubbish long after so many of the people have ceased to be fooled by it.

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    You must mean Chris Dodd, Barney Frank and the banks were setting us up. Check out the links below and you might find out there was a lot of passion.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=442980
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=461609
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=461596

Tucker, I put my reply in Economic News/Discussion thread.

Will Bill Clinton be the new healthcare reform salesman?

Gads.

Rewind to 1993.

When he told us that if we didn't reform healthcare "right now" our economy was gonna tank.

It didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Will Bill Clinton be the new healthcare reform salesman?

Gads.

Rewind to 1993.

When he told us that if we didn't reform healthcare "right now" our economy was gonna tank.

It didn't.
    Heh.. remember the good old days when the left used to hit the shrillest tones over "ph33r M0ng3ring"? Not so much nowadays that they are using just that to pass:

The "stimulus"
    SCHIP
    Cappintrade
    and the health care takeover.

So far the messiah's adinistration have shown their predictive abilities to be second to nearly everyone.

The Array of WH ObamaCare Tactics Grows

The White House is deploying an array of tactics to promote ObamaCare.

Here's the list to date.

1. Warn about the cost of inaction. Or the, "Sure it's expensive, but just think of how much it'll cost if we don't do anything!" argument. It's a false dichotomy. Many of those who oppose Obamacare believe healthcare reform is in order - just not the nationalized medicine approach proposed by Obama and the Democrats.

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. President Obama appears to have fixed on a new strategy to counter what he has called fear-mongering by his opponents in the national health care debate: Try to convince the public that making no change would be scarier. (Source)

2. Use Grandma to build empathy through association. Or the "I wouldn't deny healthcare to the elderly for I once had a sick grandma, too" argument.

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. | President Obama for the first time invoked the death of his own grandmother to strike back against opponents of his health care plan who have tried to claim it would create government "death panels" to "pull the plug on grandma." (Source)

3. Accuse opponents of racial prejudice - play the race card. In an article entitled "Fear for Obama's Safety Grows as Hate Groups Thrive on Racial Backlash," ABC News alleged a link between racial prejudice and anti-Obamacare sentiments.

Experts who track hate groups across the U.S. are growing increasingly concerned over violent rhetoric targeted at President Obama, especially as the debate over health care intensifies and a pattern of threats emerges.

4. Shift the focus of the debate. The White House has shifted the focus away from the positive - improving healthcare for all Americans - to a negative - reining in the evil health insurance industry.

5. When accused of having a controversial proposal, just say "No we don't." This tactic is popular with some Senators and Representatives when constituents push back against specific proposals in Obamacare. It's the "No, it doesn't say that" response. It's dependent on tactic #6.

6. Hide the plan. When the House version of the plan is criticized, just say that the Senate has a different version, but then don't reveal that version. And, if you're Obama, say, "Well, that's not in my plan." It's all a shell game - plan, plan, who's got the plan?

7. Hide key congressional proponents. For example, Rep. Harry Teague (D. NM) is just one among those Democrat members of Congress hiding from their constituents during the recess. Callers asking to know his schedule are referred to the Congressman's website for a list of town hall meetings on ObamaCare. His last "Harry in your hometown" event was August 8th. Where's Harry now?

Congressman Dennis Cardoza (D. CA.) is also hiding from his constituents. According to the Merced County News:

Normally this is the one time of the year that we can expect to hear from our Congressman. Traditionally there are Town Hall meetings to give the constituents a one on one with their Congress in discussion of the various topics being debated on Capitol Hill. Our Congressman Dennis Cardoza says there will be no Town Hall meetings. He is not expected to return to Merced County over the summer recess.

8. Pretend to give up on controversial issues that were never acknowledged in the first place. We've heard that the alleged Senate bill has omitted the controversial "death committee" provision that was never acknowledged to have existed in the first place. This offers the illusion of compromise.

9. Hold pro-Obamacare pep rallies that profess to be open town hall-like events. Obama is reverting to the campaign style that brought him success during the election. Fill a room full of supporters, answer stacked questions, claim that support is widespread, and attempt to build positive momentum.

10. Blame the media for focusing on the opponents. Since the legacy media is decidedly pro-Obama, this accusation doesn't provoke their ire. It should, but it doesn't.

11. Demonize the opposition. This is, perhaps, the most consistent and frequently used tactic designed to weaken the opposition to Obamacare. Rush Limbaugh is accused of inflammatory language, and his alleged minions dutifully march into the contentious town hall meetings that surface on YouTube.

12. Make false claims for Obamacare. This tactic is close to #5. It's represents the dissemination of misinformation about the House bill, pertaining to the bill's costs and provisions. This tactic provoked angry pushback at some town hall meetings. People had read the bill, while their congressional member clearly had not.

So what other tactics are yet to be deployed?

-The Gipper

-The Gipper

Wow... Just a day ago it was the GOP had made changes and it was no longer Obama care and it was OK for reform to happen.

Now it's back off the issue of health care reform and back on everything Obama and Democrats and fear.

Seems like the dems are growing them back, BD.

As to the AARP losing 60K members reacting to something that isn't there yet? Let's see, 60,000 out of 40,000,000 is .15% of their members. That's point one five, as in not even 2/10th of 1 %. Wow, that's a stampede.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Glad I took the time to shoot down your previous post line by line. I'll take this as your usual retreat from the baseless assertions and accusations made in your previous post.
    No, take it as I'm not going to play your game of inflation.

I suggest you stop trying to paint every point made in dissent as partisan.
    There you go again. Your words, not mine.

I'd also suggest you stop trying to paint the grassroots opposition in the same light, the polls show the logic of your regurgitated Obama talking points lacking any solid footing whatsoever.
    What? are you saying there is no astroturfing going on? Nice Obama dig, btw.

And finally I'd suggest stopping trying to denigrate that same dissent as simply "obstructionists". Especially in light of the fact had the dissenters not been vocal, there would have been no discussion on "how healthcare should change" at all. Remember Obama's deadline. Hurry.. hurry.. hurry.. no time to read. He brought this on himself.
    No need to play the same points over and over again scoot. I know Rush. You are no Rush. We both had our say on those points pages back.

Now when you want to address my actual points regarding misinformation and blockade, and perhaps reread posts pages back where I applaud true debate and especially commend those on the GOP actually being part in this debate, you'll have to excuse me while I ignore you debating what appears in your mind and not in my words.

^^^ We know your Rush arguments, otoc. When Obama says something that doesn't add up, you link Rush as the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    ^^^ We know your Rush arguments, otoc. When Obama says something that doesn't add up, you link Rush as the source.

...and when I joke about something scoot is doing such as repeating points played out, you bring up Obama. Sorry I hit a nerve, but scooter wasn't talking about anything Obama actually said. Or I said for that matter, including anything Rush said.