Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2010

Election 2010

Thought I'd open a thread to start this discussion.

Possibly one of the more visible races could well be that of Chris Dodd's senate seat in Connecticut. After a number of fupahs- not the least of which involved the AIG bonuses, Dodd looks both incompetent and vulnerable. And guess who may announce his candidacy for Dodd's seat?

Peter Schiff

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...e=peter-schiff
    Last edited by AeroSim; 06-18-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added Video.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Re: Election 2010

I would love to see some voter backlash against Obama's policies like 1994's against Clinton again but I'm not holding my breath.
    Brian

The question for me would be if liberals can be replaced with conservatives, or not. I s'pect Republicans will increase their share of seats in the House and Senate, but that won't necessarily change the direction of things. It may slow the train, but we need a 180 degree turn around.

We need a 3rd party. Republicans gaining control will mean a continuation of the same policies, just from the right. Nothing will ever change as long as we are only able to choose one of the two branches of the same party.

Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    I would love to see some voter backlash against Obama's policies like 1994's against Clinton again but I'm not holding my breath.
    I would love to see it too- but more like the backlash against Carter. I would like to see the Republican party galvanize into what it should be- much like it was under Reagan- or I want to see it simply go away and have a third party move to viability.

I think if there was ever a time a third party might organize and take over- but outside of Schiff (who hasn't declared party affiliation yet but is encouraging Libertarians and Republicans to work with eachother) and Ron Paul, I don't see a lot of names rallying under another banner.

Personally, I think the economy may rally enough to carry the Democrats through 2010- but if that happens and the status quo remains unchanged ... 2012 may be a very ugly year....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schiff (sic. from above video)
    Barak Obama talked about the fact that when you drive towards a cliff you've got to change directions. The problem is all he did is step on the gas...
    Last edited by AeroSim; 06-18-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Corrected quote
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

The fact is, Republicans haven't reorganized and distilled their views (and party) enough to deserve a big 2010 win. There's still alot of career politicians in the Republican party that need to be fired. A bunch of the Bush/Big Government 'conservatives' are still there, and noone has moved forward to carry the party into a new and better direction.

I would love to see more independents, Libertarians AND Green party are both more moderate and open to clossing party lines (maybe because they have none) but the hardcore old party-line voters will never let it happen.

All very good points above about the need for the Republican party to get back to their core beliefs (something I was just talking about in another thread last night) and of course the need for an organized 3rd party. Until the American people finally wake up and realize that the Repubs. and Dems. have been taking the country towards a point of no return for the last 50 years or so and things just aren't going to get better by re-electing them every four years...well, it'll be business as usual. The problem is, we're going out of business.

The repubs are polling at historic lows right now. If they want power, their going to have to change their current beliefs. The people have spoken and the demographics are totally different from when your "god" Reagen was president. I doubt he could get elected today.
    Fox News watchers are less informed - The Proof

I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
    - Thomas Jefferson

^^^ Reagan is partially to blame for the situation were in today. After all it was him who deregulated business to a large degree.

Either way, he could win today. Its not as much about your idea's anymore. More about the amount of money and propaganda you can throw at your election.

Quote Originally Posted by liteman View Post
    The repubs are polling at historic lows right now. If they want power, their going to have to change their current beliefs. The people have spoken and the demographics are totally different from when your "god" Reagen was president. I doubt he could get elected today.
    Well, "god" is dead and what the party needs is a leader that doesn't betray their current "beliefs". Because right now, Bush and Obama are two cheeks of the same horse's ass AFAIC- and I currently am voting for "none of the above".

William Jennings Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    ^^^ Reagan is partially to blame for the situation were in today. After all it was him who deregulated business to a large degree.

Either way, he could win today. Its not as much about your idea's anymore. More about the amount of money and propaganda you can throw at your election.
    regulate regulate regulate.

Why does everyone what to "regulate" everything?

As you can see how good regulation works... hows that working for the power companies and tele companies? All this crap does is alow even more government to have more control over our lives.

When was thinking for yourself a bad thing?

^^^ How would something like just keeping business at the state level be a bad thing?

You see how well it works when we dont regulate?

If we regulated a little bit more. Then to big to fail wouldnt be a issue. I love some people are willing to blindly trust greed with the deed to our country.

The government needs to keep its hands out off business financially. But keeping business withing the state. Well i just dont see how that would be a bad thing. Competition is never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    ^^^ How would something like just keeping business at the state level be a bad thing?

You see how well it works when we dont regulate?

If we regulated a little bit more. Then to big to fail wouldnt be a issue. I love some people are willing to blindly trust greed with the deed to our country.

The government needs to keep its hands out off business financially. But keeping business withing the state. Well i just dont see how that would be a bad thing. Competition is never a bad thing.
    Invictus, I think you may operating under an assumption I once made as well. Deregulation does not refer to things like rules against fraud- but implementation of government agenda in industry.

But I think what you are trying to say is certainly correct.

William Jennings Bryan.

Its not necessarily fraud im worried about. In a free society you are always going to have people doing things they shouldnt. I dont want the person who is doing the bad things to have the ability to make everyone else suffer. If a business is so large that management mistakes can cause a countries economy to falter then there is a serious problem with how large we allow companies to get in this country.

If certian business are becoming so large they are completely obliterating competition not only at a state level but at a nation wide level. Now say said company fails, and government decides to "bail them out" the government now owns a business that provides a certain need to the whole country.

Personally i dont like big organizations, big government, big business...in a capitalist economy he who has the capital has the power. And there not always the people we voted for. We need to make sure greed isnt the driving force behind our country. Otherwise we are certainly doomed.

What's in a few missing words?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    A market is never saturated with a good product, but it is very quickly saturated with a bad one.

There is joy in work. There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something.

There is one rule for industrialists and that is: make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible.

William Jennings Bryan.