Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2010

Re: Election 2010

^^I'm all for challenging and pushing the existing system. I just don't share the dismal outlook that some are pushing in the hopes of getting elected.

Take the libertarians, for example. I was hopeful that they would have a good showing the last election. But all they managed to do was retread a position and candidate while getting lost on the national playing field.

I think my point in all of this is, I'd rather see and hear what and why a candidate or party proposes to do something. Not why the other guy is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    ^^I'm all for challenging and pushing the existing system. I just don't share the dismal outlook that some are pushing in the hopes of getting elected.

Take the libertarians, for example. I was hopeful that they would have a good showing the last election. But all they managed to do was retread a position and candidate while getting lost on the national playing field.

I think my point in all of this is, I'd rather see and hear what and why a candidate or party proposes to do something. Not why the other guy is an idiot.
    A point made by many critics: How can Schiff (et al) expect to win with such a negative message?

Schiff's words are warnings. I knew going into this recession, it "felt" different and more ominous than any recession in my life- including the 70s. It's one of the reasons I checked into the TLR. Some here have heads for business and politics that I have lacked. Schiff- whom I was introduced to by a post by Enmore- articulated it best. He articulated warnings since 2003- and he was right with a batting average of about 8-900. Moreover still, I suspect he is going to be right about what's coming next if we don't change. We can't sugar-coat the truth and expect people to do something about it- and do something about it with an understanding of how economics is supposed to work.

I also can't do business if my leaders don't hear and understand the truth. It may not be what they want to hear, but it is what they need to. It's how I earn my keep- not just by producing, but also by having to make convincing arguments on how plans must be changed- even aborted.

otoc, if you sit and think about how your economic life works, what is being said makes sense. None of us could sustain a living if we did business like our government and status quo is doing currently. I doubt we could even avoid prison.

My elders lived through the Great Depression- it's a thing to be avoided- and what is happening looks to be gearing up for an inflationary Greater Depression- unless something changes. That's not good news, but that is the way it is.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 09-19-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroSim View Post
    Peter Schiff is running for US Senator in Connecticut. My thought for Chris Dodd: Caveat Emptor .

http://blogs.reuters.com/rolfe-winkl...ng-for-senate/

My hope is that "Washington doesn't change him."
    I only wish he were running in Colorado. Oh well.

A point made by many critics: How can Schiff (et al) expect to win with such a negative message?

Schiff's words are warnings. I knew going into this recession, it "felt" different and more ominous than any recession in my life- including the 70s. It's one of the reasons I checked into the TLR. Some here have heads for business and politics that I have lacked. Schiff- whom I was introduced to by a post by Enmore- articulated it best. He articulated warnings since 2003- and he was right with a batting average of about 8-900. Moreover still, I suspect he is going to be right about what's coming next if we don't change. We can't sugar-coat the truth and expect people to do something about it- and do something about it with an understanding of how economics is supposed to work.
    There comes a time when a candidate has to stop being Nostradamus and start being a catalyst for change. All I'm seeing in Schiff is the warnings and doom.

I also can't do business if my leaders don't hear and understand the truth. It may not be what they want to hear, but it is what they need to. It's how I earn my keep- not just by producing, but also by having to make convincing arguments on how plans must be changed- even aborted.
    Isn't the first step to that one that allows a politician to refine and change their postion? I don't see much forgiveness in the population as a whole.

otoc, if you sit and think about how your economic life works, what is being said makes sense. None of us could sustain a living if we did business like our government and status quo is doing currently. I doubt we could even avoid prison.
    There are many things that make sense. One is longterm planning which pretty much kills off the stock market. We are in a position where US business needs to prepare for the future. That requires investment.

Another is the shift away from the US as a financial industry where millions are made doing nothing. I really think we need a savior of a biblical nature who fights against the money lenders as in the temples several thousand years ago.

Another is to bring up the third world as we continue on a global market. We can't compete with cheap products until there is a higher cost to produce them abroad.

There are things we need to do under the care of government and I don't expect it to be a private industry model. That why we have both. The trick is to know when each one is needed.

My elders lived through the Great Depression- it's a thing to be avoided- and what is happening looks to be gearing up for an inflationary Greater Depression- unless something changes. That's not good news, but that is the way it is.
    As did mine. And they were immigrants working on the American dream. Today, I feel what we avoided with all this spending was a great depression. Inflation is but one element.

If banking failed and credit dried up more than it has, we would be having a different conversation right now. I'm not ignoring the impact of all this spending. I'm just agreeing that it allowed a more controllable situation to be in place and to that, Mr. Schiff should lay out a plan that takes that reality in mind.

the problem with him being nostradamus...

he's already said there's nothing that can be done anymore, and he already (back before this happened) told us what we needed to do to avoid it.
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

Quote Originally Posted by old82 View Post
    the problem with him being nostradamus...

he's already said there's nothing that can be done anymore, and he already (back before this happened) told us what we needed to do to avoid it.
    well I guess that plays into his business then, doesn't it? I mean foreign investment and precious metals...

There comes a time when a candidate has to stop being Nostradamus and start being a catalyst for change. All I'm seeing in Schiff is the warnings and doom.
    He must be running for Senate to avoid the issue then

Isn't the first step to that one that allows a politician to refine and change their postion? I don't see much forgiveness in the population as a whole.
    Nor should there be. We pay government to protect our interests- not kiss our ass or cover theirs. They aren't listening to the people who have to pay the price.

There are many things that make sense. One is longterm planning which pretty much kills off the stock market. We are in a position where US business needs to prepare for the future. That requires investment.

Another is the shift away from the US as a financial industry where millions are made doing nothing. I really think we need a savior of a biblical nature who fights against the money lenders as in the temples several thousand years ago.

Another is to bring up the third world as we continue on a global market. We can't compete with cheap products until there is a higher cost to produce them abroad.

There are things we need to do under the care of government and I don't expect it to be a private industry model. That why we have both. The trick is to know when each one is needed.
    With what, otoc? Money the government feels the Chinese will give us? Our Social Security which they have already felt they could borrow from? Do you really think they are going to pay it all back? That was my money they felt they could borrow and spend on bailing out bad business and killing people half way around the world. And if they don't like me using my vote to change that- they can kiss my @ss.

By the end of this year, they estimate 1.5 million people will have depleted all of their jobless benefits. No one has bothered to show them how to grow potatoes, so where do you think they will get the money to pay for their next meal...or fix if that be the case? 2010 may well be a nostalgic year- one that recreates the soup line. That's if the rest of the world gets a brain and doesn't extend our line of credit.

As did mine. And they were immigrants working on the American dream. Today, I feel what we avoided with all this spending was a great depression. Inflation is but one element.

If banking failed and credit dried up more than it has, we would be having a different conversation right now. I'm not ignoring the impact of all this spending. I'm just agreeing that it allowed a more controllable situation to be in place and to that, Mr. Schiff should lay out a plan that takes that reality in mind.
    No, they've just bought a greater one. This is the exact formula Robert Mugabe and the Weimar Republic used to try and solve their problems. They have plundered every source of capital available to them and are working on squandering the rest that isn't.

It must be that the plus side to all of this is that it should kill off a lot of baby boomer liability.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 09-21-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

BREAKING: Democrats Hoping To Take Control Of Congress From Republican Minority In 2010

Schiff answers some political questions.

Some surprises- and shameless plugs:

http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...-2-921773.html

http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...-2-921774.html

William Jennings Bryan.

A day at the bar....

William Jennings Bryan.

^ Limited government?

What dat?

But.. but.. MSDNC says repugs are in disarray. Repugs are the ones whom have no room for moderates.. oh whom to believe..

Democratic civil war update: MoveOn raises $3.6 million to attack party moderates

A few days ago, the left-wing activist group MoveOn.org began sending out emails seeking contributions to fund primary challenges against any Democratic senator who does not fully support "health care reform with a public option." Now there's an update: MoveOn executive director Justin Ruben says the group has raised $3,578,117 for the project and is thinking of new ways to punish errant Democratic lawmakers.

"It's a huge sum, and the clearest signal yet that any Democrat who helps Republicans filibuster health care reform will face an enormous backlash from the grassroots," writes Ruben. And now, working in conjunction with Howard Dean's old organization Democracy for America, MoveOn is starting a drive to take away the committee chairmanships of any Democrat who fails to live up to MoveOn's progressive standards. "Many of these senators hold coveted committee chairmanships that give them significant power within the Senate," Ruben writes. "Our friends at Democracy for America have launched an open letter urging Senate Democrats to strip committee chairmanships from any Democrat who filibusters health care." Ruben says that more than 66,000 MoveOn and Democracy for America members have pledged to contribute.

"Chairing a committee is a privilege, not a right," Ruben continues. "So if a member of the Democratic Congress joins with Republicans in the most important vote in a generation, then they certainly don't deserve a position of power controlled by Democrats."

The latest statements from MoveOn and Democracy for America come amid continued media analysis of divisions in the Republican party. MoveOn's threats -- backed by millions of dollars and tens of thousands of progressive activists -- have received far less attention.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

I wish everyone a very merry Chris Dodd Holiday season....

William Jennings Bryan.

Reality > Hype

An Unsurprising Slide for Obama

By ADAM NAGOURNEY

Published: November 23, 2009

WASHINGTON — President Obama returned from his trip to Asia facing some unsettling news: two new public-opinion polls showing that his approval rating has dipped below 50 percent for the first time. To many of his critics, who chafed as Mr. Obama enjoyed broad support among Americans even though many were critical of his handling of specific issues like the economy, this erosion is a tipping-point, the end of Mr. Obama’s perceived near-invulnerability.

For a number of reasons, the slide is not a surprise. Coming less than a year into his presidency, not to mention almost a full year before the 2010 Congressional elections, though, the long-term political significance of the slide is anything but clear.

Still, there is cause for the White House to be concerned, and for Republicans to sense an opportunity. The poll numbers worry Democratic strategists who are preparing for the already tough mid-term elections. They are well aware of the significance of presidential approval ratings in predicting the outcome — and particularly of what happens when a president’s approval rating is below 50 percent in the two months before a mid-term election.

Mr. Obama’s decline a year into his term comes as he struggles through a decidedly sour climate. The unemployment rate has jumped above 10 percent and shows no sign of abating. At this point, even if Mr. Obama cannot be blamed for causing the economic decline, Americans are growing impatient with him to fix it.

His main legislative initiative — the health care bill — is the subject of a messy fight in Congress, displaying Washington in the very bitter partisan light that Mr. Obama promised to end. It has provided Republicans with a platform to stir concerns that Mr. Obama is using the health care overhaul to expand the role of government beyond the comfort level of many Americans; polls suggest that these arguments have helped sow significant doubts.

And not incidentally, the president has been out of the country for the past 10 days. As Mr. Obama learned when he went overseas as a presidential candidate in the summer of 2008, his approval ratings tend to drift down when he travels abroad. It presumably did not help matters that much of the media coverage of Mr. Obama’s visit to China was critical of the way he dealt with Chinese leaders.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/us...2&ref=politics