Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: seagates new Barracuda 7200.12 500GB drive

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Got'em both but don't have anything to open the HDC files.
    rats oh well I thank you just the same !
    well in anycase I will still keep my rappy as my boot drive no way am I going to get rid of that as I am sure your advice is on target
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Double-checked everything and I don't have anything that can open/view those HDC files. Hwat program captured//generated the screen shots?

Prolly better to run HDTach......

Double-checked everything and I don't have anything that can open/view those HDC files. Hwat program captured//generated the screen shots?

Prolly better to run HDTach......
    these are just files I created using hd tach , I ran the benchmark , and when I was done I hit the save button .
    sorry BWM I had no idea/desire to put you thru this had I have known I would not have even tryed

As to the firmware issue, I have two of those .11 drives that died. Seagate denies they are in the affected range of firmware qualifying for data recovery even though they died with the same symptoms of all the others. There are some large posts on the web.
    I am lucky all my stuff is backed up but it seemed to me they were offering data recovery as pr and in practice rarely provided the service. In any case due to the issues I had with the customer service I would never buy a Seagate product again. Seriously, if they backed their products the way EVGA did I would not have had to go through this. As a side note this occured on various drive sizes from 750g to 1.5g. Good luck with those.
    Core I7/GA-EX58-UD4P
    6 gigs of ddr3 1600
    Raid 0 x2 WD 320AAKS
    4870 X2
    Silverstone 1000w Strider psu
    Thermochill PA 120.3 with dual pumps

Quote Originally Posted by 0156 View Post
    As to the firmware issue, I have two of those .11 drives that died. Seagate denies they are in the affected range of firmware qualifying for data recovery even though they died with the same symptoms of all the others. There are some large posts on the web.
    I am lucky all my stuff is backed up but it seemed to me they were offering data recovery as pr and in practice rarely provided the service. In any case due to the issues I had with the customer service I would never buy a Seagate product again. Seriously, if they backed their products the way EVGA did I would not have had to go through this. As a side note this occured on various drive sizes from 750g to 1.5g. Good luck with those.
    may I ask when you bought the drives and how long did you own them before they died ?
    As far as the drive itself it would not surprise me , the package they came wrapped in said something about made in china
    But I be safe none the less I have a USB drive I can back up on

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    these are just files I created using hd tach , I ran the benchmark , and when I was done I hit the save button .
    sorry BWM I had no idea/desire to put you thru this had I have known I would not have even tryed
    NP.... that's what worthless old turds like me are for

NP.... that's what worthless old turds like me are for
    worthless ? no way Guy
    anyway just for kicks I benched with nvidias built in ulility
    rappy gets 122mps
    seagte gets 133 mps
    anyway you slice it it is still not bad for a 49 dollor drive you will have to admit

worthless ? no way Guy
    anyway just for kicks I benched with nvidias built in ulility
    rappy gets 122mps
    seagte gets 133 mps
    anyway you slice it it is still not bad for a 49 dollor drive you will have to admit
    True, not bad, but you're thinking in terms of STR only. Access time is still in the ho-hum piss poor 14 ms range. No excitement there or me.

True, not bad, but you're thinking in terms of STR only. Access time is still in the ho-hum piss poor 14 ms range. No excitement there or me.
    totaly agree , I was just looking at "bang for the buck" sure the volci kicks major butt but at 179 bucks you realy pay for it . The seagate would make a good buget drive is what I am saying

totaly agree , I was just looking at "bang for the buck" sure the volci kicks major butt but at 179 bucks you realy pay for it . The seagate would make a good buget drive is what I am saying
    And I agree as well, especially from the example standpoint of using a pair of the Seagates in RAID-1 or Raid 5 for humungus backup storage capacity. Damn hard to beat for the price, and recovering from a single drive failure makes it as close to a no brainer decision as one is likely to find.

Velociraptor, or SSD, on the other hand, is definitely the word for an O/S drive, for the time being, anyway.

SSD's desperately need to be divorced from the damn conventional SATA/PCI bus bandwidth noose to truely reach their potential. THEN I too will be jumping ship. I just got tired and bord of these incremental increases the older I get. I've wanted all solid state storage for years, but not as long as it is choked by an existing bus as we know them now in a PC.

BWM , I gotta question, how much does a impact/difference of 8mb cache VS 16MB on a hard drive ? You might be wondering why , well I see new egg has the 250MB versions of these drives and I am considering buying one

EDIT:
    To all:
    Just for the fun of it I uninstalled everything on the seagate , uninstalled it in windows , shut down and reinstalled a fresh copy of windows xp , man this drive is fast . I can see little difference in real world, ( what I see and precieve not some benchmark) between this seagate and the volciraptor . HD tach is giving me 110-120 mps equal with the rappy , with the rappy I do get better random access time , but I dought the average joe will see or notice a difference between 7.2 ms and 14.1 ms. boot times from a visual standpoint are very close within a second or two. Very nice for someone who wishes to save some money . What remains to be seen though is how the drive holds up over time . we will see.
    Last edited by brothergc; 07-04-2009 at 03:17 PM.

There are only two versions of the velociraptor, same cache size of 32 megs on both, one is a 150 gig model, the other is 300 gigs. All of the other previous raptors are legacy models now and no longer in production.

There are only two versions of the velociraptor, same cache size of 32 megs on both, one is a 150 gig model, the other is 300 gigs. All of the other previous raptors are legacy models now and no longer in production.
    the cache question is a general question , not just ment for the rappy but all hard drives.

The larger cache makes a difference on larger drives running larger apps that read/write/manipulate much larger than average data files. Nothing in the world wrong with keeping up with cache sizes!

The larger cache makes a difference on larger drives running larger apps that read/write/manipulate much larger than average data files. Nothing in the world wrong with keeping up with cache sizes!
    so let me see if I understand you corectly ,
    the larger drives realy need the larger cashe sizes in order to process large files ?
    So a smaller drive with less cashe , lets say a drive that has 500mb w/16mb cashe VS a 250 GB drive w/8mb Cashe would basicly run the same ?
    Last edited by brothergc; 07-04-2009 at 05:13 PM.