Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: seagates new Barracuda 7200.12 500GB drive

In computer science, a cache (pronounced /kęʃ/) is a collection of data duplicating original values stored elsewhere or computed earlier, where the original data is expensive to fetch (owing to longer access time) or to compute, compared to the cost of reading the cache. In other words, a cache is a temporary storage area where frequently accessed data can be stored for rapid access. Once the data is stored in the cache, it can be used in the future by accessing the cached copy rather than re-fetching or recomputing the original data.
    The larger the cache the more it can store, that has nothing to do with the size of the drive
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    so let me see if I understand you corectly ,
    the larger drives realy need the larger cashe sizes in order to process large files ?
    So a smaller drive with less cashe , lets say a drive that has 500mb w/16mb cashe VS a 250 GB drive w/8mb Cashe would basicly run the same ?
    HD caches really are one hell of a deep subject to get into. The caching method, (algorythms) are highly propriatary, closely guarded secrets. They're complicated, dynamically sized, segmented, look-ahead, ansicipatory, intelligent creatures. In fact, the drive's firmware is what, more than ANYTHING ELSE, establishes/defines a drives behavior, its personality. Its why performance in real world apps often don't follow what common benchmarks would ordinarily depict. That said, I'm familiar enough with that stuff from one drive manufacturer, and of course it follows that it is at others as well. Beyond that, I really am not at liberty to go much deeper into it . Suffuce it to say that as operating systems, winbloze in particular, with its frikin weird-alics way of caching things, will keep HD manufacturers on their toes. BUT, mark my words, windoze will get to the point where its "thinking" will depart so much from the reasoning in other operating systems that what works best for winbloze definitely won't be optimal in others. Fortunately, right now anyway, the fact that other operating systems, primarily Unix, rely on SCSI, saves their butts. They'd be hurting very badly if all they had to rely on is PATA and SATA. But, windows users are reaping the benifits from the many hand-me down ideas from SCSI to gain performance in PATA, but especially SATA models.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    HD caches really are one hell of a deep subject to get into. The caching method, (algorythms) are highly propriatary, closely guarded secrets. They're complicated, dynamically sized, segmented, look-ahead, ansicipatory, intelligent creatures. In fact, the drive's firmware is what, more than ANYTHING ELSE, establishes/defines a drives behavior, its personality. Its why performance in real world apps often don't follow what common benchmarks would ordinarily depict. That said, I'm familiar enough with that stuff from one drive manufacturer, and of course it follows that it is at others as well. Beyond that, I really am not at liberty to go much deeper into it . Suffuce it to say that as operating systems, winbloze in particular, with its frikin weird-alics way of caching things, will keep HD manufacturers on their toes. BUT, mark my words, windoze will get to the point where its "thinking" will depart so much from the reasoning in other operating systems that what works best for winbloze definitely won't be optimal in others. Fortunately, right now anyway, the fact that other operating systems, primarily Unix, rely on SCSI, saves their butts. They'd be hurting very badly if all they had to rely on is PATA and SATA. But, windows users are reaping the benifits from the many hand-me down ideas from SCSI to gain performance in PATA, but especially SATA models.
    Ok , I see . The reason I am asking my question is I am considering buying the new seagate 250gb drive but what is holding me back is the smaller cashe size ( the 500gb has 16mb vs the 250 has 8mb), thus the question on cache size. The 250 gb drive might make a better boot drive for another system I have in mind. I can find no reviews on the 250 gb 7200.12 Looks like to find out I will need to just buy one . LOL
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Personally, as has been discussed before, my feeling is that 250GB is too large for an O/S drive. Better for simple storage only or an an output drive to receive output of MAJOR apps that eat a lot of room. But go ahead and try it if you want.

Ok , I see . The reason I am asking my question is I am considering buying the new seagate 250gb drive but what is holding me back is the smaller cashe size ( the 500gb has 16mb vs the 250 has 8mb), thus the question on cache size. The 250 gb drive might make a better boot drive for another system I have in mind. I can find no reviews on the 250 gb 7200.12 Looks like to find out I will need to just buy one
    You will never see the difference between 8 and 16.

Run a benchie and you might.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Personally, as has been discussed before, my feeling is that 250GB is too large for an O/S drive. Better for simple storage only or an an output drive to receive output of MAJOR apps that eat a lot of room. But go ahead and try it if you want.
    ok then what drive do you recomend that is sata 3.0, and cost about 50 bucks ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...TA%203.0Gb%2fs

NewEgg -
    Internal hard drives
    $25 - $50
    SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Search Within Lowest price

My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

ok then what drive do you recomend that is sata 3.0, and cost about 50 bucks ?
    First, don't worry about wether it is SATA 3.0 or 1.5 as it isn't going to make any difference in other than burst rate benchmarks. Bills list provides a good list of choices. Assuming this is to be your boot boot drive, I would choose the one that is just slightly higher in capacity than that required to hold your O/S and applications/games. Make sure you set windoze to maintain a page file on each drive. Use 3 gigs of memory for 32 bit O/S, mucho more for a 64 bit O/S.

First, don't worry about wether it is SATA 3.0 or 1.5 as it isn't going to make any difference in other than burst rate benchmarks. Bills list provides a good list of choices. Assuming this is to be your boot boot drive, I would choose the one that is just slightly higher in capacity than that required to hold your O/S and applications/games. Make sure you set windoze to maintain a page file on each drive. Use 3 gigs of memory for 32 bit O/S, mucho more for a 64 bit O/S.
    cool and thanks ! say looking at Bills list I see the seagate 7200.12 250 gb drive ! LOL
    sorry but I could not resist pointing that drive out LOL !

like I stated early on, the 250's we have are pretty fast and so far after 2-3 years solid. I would not fear the smaller seagates personally. I do lean towards Samsungs for storage though, but it is personal prefernece I reckon, I have had failed Samsungs as well as WD< Hitachi's and the like. No one makes a product that will last forever that I know of. If so, why wouldn't we all have them?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter4u View Post
    like I stated early on, the 250's we have are pretty fast and so far after 2-3 years solid. I would not fear the smaller seagates personally. I do lean towards Samsungs for storage though, but it is personal prefernece I reckon, I have had failed Samsungs as well as WD< Hitachi's and the like. No one makes a product that will last forever that I know of. If so, why wouldn't we all have them?
    Sorry to break the topic here but I love the hell out of your siggy

cool and thanks ! say looking at Bills list I see the seagate 7200.12 250 gb drive ! LOL
    sorry but I could not resist pointing that drive out LOL !
    Yeah, but I figured you'd ignore that. Mistake for this old fart, eh!!

not sure bout the 500(1 platter?) but im not touching 1tb and up.tis suicide lol, in some case

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

I hate to say it man but I'd have no pity for anyone with a full TB drive and no sensible backup means LOL

not sure bout the 500(1 platter?) but im not touching 1tb and up.tis suicide lol, in some case
    I have 1 of the Seagate 1Ts that I use for video processing on a different computer. I have had it almost full a couple of times but it does not stay full that long.

I hate to say it man but I'd have no pity for anyone with a full TB drive and no sensible backup means LOL
    Amen to that
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8