Using wireless router in client mode: how?

I have a cheap comstar wireless N router. The firmware appears to be Linux based. I noticed an option to use it in AP mode or client mode. I would like to use it in client mode.

My understanding is that in client mode, I can hook it up to a PC by wired ethernet, and the router will act as a wireless NIC connecting to another wireless AP.

Has anyone done this? How do I go about doing it?

The manual is in horrible Engrish:

http://samtack.com/comstar/files/Router_EN.pdf
    AMD FX-8350. Corsair Hydro H55. Corsair Carbide 200R. Asus M597 EVO. OCZ Agility II 256GB.

Re: Using wireless router in client mode: how?

IN client mode it should show you a page with a SCAN button of sorts. Usually the list shown following a scan will have some part highlighted in blue either the mac address or the ssid of the access points available. Clicking this part will confirm a connection. How ever you will have to manually set the security key or pass phrase manually and perhaps reboot the device with a java button command from the GUI manually before it connects.
    Allan

How is DHCP handled? Is it enabled on the primary router AP and the client just pases through the IP to the PC?
    AMD FX-8350. Corsair Hydro H55. Corsair Carbide 200R. Asus M597 EVO. OCZ Agility II 256GB.

If enabled on the device you are going to wirelessly connect too the dhcp will pass an IP through your client enabled device to your PC. How ever you should set the client enabled device with a static IP / outside the DHCP servers range or at the top of it's range so it doesn't hand your address out to another device unknowingly. Gateway and dns will be the IP address of the DHCP server/ router you are connecting to.

Allan

So I should disbale NAT on the client mode router (i.e. set to bridge mode)?

Yes if you want to be a part of the same lan . Leave it enabled if your setting this up at a next door house and you don't want that fellow accessing your lan , he/she will have a connection to the main router and the internet only.