netgear router disconnecting

hey guys, i have a netgear wpn824 v2 and it keeps disconnecting for some reason

i am lets say the second owner of this router, and i was told that it would disconnect the other owner from the internet.. but thats all i know, i have no idea if i am seeing the same symptoms or not

basically, i put this router in about a month ago, and it has worked perfectly fine until a few days ago when i was doing large file transfers (i backed up about 65gigs through the network onto my other computers hard drive) it would just start disconnecting, and i would have to go into the network connections in control panel and disable/enable the connection and it would work again

but now, what is happening is that all of the lights on the router except for the power light will turn off, then i will see the little "disconnected" logo next to my clock, then it will go away and the lights will be back on, and it will continue to do this until i unplug it for a few min and plug it back in

the firmware was just updated about a month ago before i got it

anyone know what could be causing this?

edit* ok, i just re-did the firmware, and it is still disconnecting.. so thats not the problem.. also this is not wireless, everything is wired

edit2* http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread...721#post192721

that is almost my exact problem
    Last edited by pimp my ride; 06-29-2009 at 01:17 PM.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Re: netgear router disconnecting

ok guys, i have noticed a few things

first is that when my AC turns on, the connection immediately drops and the modem will reset

this tells me a few things, something is wrong with the power going to the modem, and i have come to the conclusion that it is most likely one of these four problems:

1. power supply is bad/too much stuff going to the outlet causing too much of a drain
    2. bad solder joints somewhere
    3. bad capacitors
    4. noise in the line caused by the ac (although im doubting some of these as the router has worked for the past month with the ac on with no problems)

im thinking that the solder joints are bad somewhere and when i was transferring my files, the router got really hot and messed one of the solder joints up or a capacitor, it will work fine with no loads, but when the ac comes on it is too much for it to handle

what do you guys think?

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

My v1 seems to act the same way at times.
    Lately, it's been worse and I've considered replacing it... but I'd hate to do that unless I KNOW what the problem really is. Out power tends to "blink" in our neighborhood, sometimes just enough that the PC stays on but the router stops working until you reset it.

Get a multimeter and test the voltage level after the wall wart for the router / before the router with AC on and with out AC on. If you see a voltage drop that means the current being drawn has gone UP ! that will in turn cause the unit to heat up and the problems that follow. Then test the AC outlet for voltage changes. MAybe a UPS system would help out and be much cheaper than rewiring the dwelling.
    Allan

thanks.. the ac has turned on a few times and i didnt get instantly disconnected.. but i have noticed 3 times now that exactly when it turned on i got disconnected

im going to find a new cord/power supply for it if i can and try it out, and if that doesnt work im going to take it apart and re-do all of the solder joints and see what happens

any chance i can get a new one from netgear?

If it is a defect with the unit I don't see why not. It could be poor design in the power supply that is the main cause. Or it's built just good enough to work.

What is the voltage supply for the AC unit 120 Vac or 240?
    If it's a 120 Vac drawing the current that those buggers need to run it could be causing a surge in the electrical system of the dwelling. I'm not an expert by far but this surge is not a jump in voltage on the Hot side but a change in the potential on the neutral line. Witch will cause weird things to happen with equipment not built well enough to withstand it.

On a typical 200 amp entrance box for a dwelling with 240 vac split in 2 for 110/120 vac in the breaker box. If your drawing excessive 110/120 current from one side compared to the other this surge will occur. I call it stray voltage. This is voltage at what ever current level on the neutral or ground wire. I had this problem once ( made my cows udders swell up and almost explode. )
    Have a look at the breaker box and try to determine if things like the fridge / freezer AC and other such power hungry devices are connected more so on one side of the box. If this is the problem simply swapping a few breakers or even one to the other side to balance the load might do the trick.

That or a Good UPS system should.
    Allan

thanks, i checked the power connector at the outlet with my DMM and everything looked perfect, there was no fluctuations at all and everything checked out good

im going to see if i can borrow a friends router, and have him use mine at his house to see if he gets problems also.. that way it will rule out a few problems with it

Quote Originally Posted by Alan87i View Post
    I had this problem once ( made my cows udders swell up and almost explode. )
    Lol.
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

mine is finicky as well..it gets uber hot. no issues when cold. actually looking for a replacement..any ideas on what to get on the same quality level and not affected much by temps? i might drop a small fan in mine because when it hits 30+c i cant bt.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...