Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: New Egg changes shipping methods again

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Honestly Newegg, why even bother to offer FedEx as an option anymore? It's obvious to me now that you're forcing UPS on your customers.
    It's been my experience that FedEx charges slightly (in some instances, significantly) higher rates for the same delivery options that UPS offers. It's a matter of balancing the cost savings (of going with UPS) and living with a higher probability of damage incurred to the contents (when compared with FedEx). If FedEx offered more competitive rates, I would go with them exclusively (as I've never had a bad experience with them), but for comparable services on items where condition is less important of a factor but time is of the essence (e.g. documents), UPS tends to get the nod from me in more instances (but I ask for FedEx rates regardless).

Back to the subject of NewEgg: the mobo I ordered this week arrived in a timely manner (I opted for UPS 3-day because it was the free shipping option). As expected, the shipping box was damaged in one corner; thankfully, the contents don't appeared to be damaged (I'll know for sure if the mobo fails the POST ). I don't know what the Edge Crush Test (ECT) figure is on the shipping box, but it's not meant to survive the abuse that UPS subjects all of its parcels to. I blame NewEgg for using corrugated cardboard boxes with the strength properties of egg noodles.

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

I once ordered a cheap case from newegg that shipped UPS in the manufacturers box. The box was damaged and the case dented. Newegg let me keep it and sent me a second case. Same thing happened. I ended up getting two slightly damaged cases for free. I now use them for my kids' computers. If they were double boxed the damage would have probably been avoided.

Still I like UPS because stuff usually gets to me fast and Saturday is a shipping day for them (not for FedEx). The majority of packages arrive undamaged. I don't have a problem with FedEx either but it seems like they don't get used as much. USPS is the worst. Deliveries take forever and their tracking is mostly useless (isn't really tracking).
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

The problems a lot of people experience with UPS must depend on their location.

I have a lot of products delivered here to Rhode Island from quite a few sources all over the US and I never have any damage with UPS.
    As a matter of fact the boxes they're shipped in never even have dented corners.
    This would indicate that the problems are on the receiving end rather than the shipping end.
    Same with FedEx - no problems.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for USPS.
    They like to bend things like CDs to make them fit in the mailbox.

Bill
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

eggsaver is only slightly faster than pony express.

i'd even venture to guess that woot has faster shipping than eggsaver.

i tend to steer clear of eggsaver or the free shipping at places like amazon if i want my purchase in any sort of timely manner.

but they exist for a reason, they save you money if you have time to wait.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

I hate to say this as I know I'm setting myself up for problems in the future but...I've had good luck with Eggsaver.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

I hate to say this as I know I'm setting myself up for problems in the future but...I've had good luck with Eggsaver.
    I have had mixed results with the Eggsaver. The biggest problem for me is when it get to the Postal Service. I have had seperate orders get to the same regional Post Office at the same time and 1 will arrive in a couple days and the other takes a week.

For large items like cases, I prefer to avoid shipping directly to my house.
    I order from MicroCenter and pick it up at the store...yeah, it costs more but I have the ability to open the box before I accept it and take it home.

I noticed that newegg ships the fragile stuff: LCDs, CPUs, RAM, HDDs, etc via UPS standard.

I have received RAM via DHL ONCE but the second time I ordered the same RAM when it was free shipping about a month later they shipped it via UPS, but things like HDD enclosures (empty), etc. can be sent via DHL/USPS.

No problems with Eggsaver here either (knock on wood). On average, it takes about a day, maybe two longer than UPS 3-day (in my case, the items I ordered recently were shipped from their NJ warehouse).

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Same here - no issues with EggSaver.

Thought the DHL - USPS diagram was kinda cool.

I was looking for a 12+" USB extension cable and didn't want to pay a lot for shipping. S/H was $2 and the cable arrived a week earlier than expected.

If you're in a hurry to get something - it blows when items get damaged...

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

Thumbs down Re: New Egg (no problems), UPS on the other hand?

No problems with newegg, but anyone know where to complain to UPS about where they left my package? I've checked the UPS site and newegg and, conveniently to them, there does not seem a place to complain.

I just ordered something and it got left on the front bench at my house instead of inside the screened door right outside my main front door. They usually leave it inside the screen door, but this time and at least a couple times before in the past year they have not. Is it really that much harder to open up a door that isn't even latched or locked and leave the package? Don't they have to knock on the main front door anyway like they usually do?

I recieved a box of computer parts for a new build from Newegg. UPS 3 day select. When I recieved the box it was obivously stressed and the bottom of the box was wet, it was a very snowy day. I was not a happy camper. I could not get the motherboard to post and sent it back along with the memory. I got a refund from Newegg. I bought a new motherboard and memory from the local Micro Center. Much better face to face buy with a little opinion thrown in. Also the I7 920 DO was 79 dollars cheaper at Microcenter. I still think Newegg is great, but, I'm a little concerned about their packing and shipping of breakable goods.

I hate to say it but my last 2 orders from new egg looked like some one played football with them . UPS sucks in that they just dont seem to care how they handle their packages and new egg is letting them get away with it.
    900 dollor laptop damaged my new gigabyte amd motherboard outer box damaged. I am seriously considering dropping new egg like a hot rock for anything big , expensive, or fragile. I have spent thousands with these guys but that may change .

edit
    just had a thought
    one idea is when you recieve a damaged package refuse it and send it back to new egg ( wish I had ) maybe if enough gets returned they will get the message.

another thought Email new egg and complain , I just did and we will see how they handle it. But posting here is good for venting but everyone need to email new egg directly when a problem happens or nothing will change
    Last edited by brothergc; 04-25-2010 at 06:31 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

I buy from newegg all the time for personal use and business and have not had any issues with shipping or how they package them. Heck I thought they over package,for example I bought a replacement battery for a UPS. It was already in a brown box but instead of shipping in just that they put it in a bigger box with peanuts and shipped it out, to me that was a little overkill, but what I expect from newegg. I see a lot of complaints about the shipping, which is UPS's fault not newegg's. Its obviously UPS that is damaging your package, it just goes to show the different people that UPS employees in each state.

I've started buying tech with amazon. Their packages tend to be treated differently even by UPS.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.