Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I set up an internet connection?

Hey guys. I have a few questions about how exactly I should set up a high-speed Comcast internet connection using a modem. I will only be using a single computer (Windows XP PC) and I wanted severel expert opinions on whether or not the plan I have is the correct way to do it.

Before I dish out my plan, I would like to refer you guys to two of my Yahoo! Answers questions I posted up a few days ago which nobody answered:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2164533AABK4kQ

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3135836AANcIJg

Here's my plan:

I'm already on a plan with Comcast high-speed internet, but they have not provided me with any supplies for setting everything up. I will be doing the entire setup myself. I will go to Walmart and purchase a modem, which will come with an Ethernet cord. I will place one end of the Ethernet cord in the back of the modem and the other end in the back of the computer. The only problem is the Coaxial cord (http://janejoknows.com/wp-content/up...rewon1024.jpg). For the particular room which I'm setting the connection up in, there is no wall outlet coaxial connection (http://www.beamon.ca/images/omega/Du...-81511313.jpg). So, I have to make my own wall outlet coaxial connection by drilling a hole through the outside brick wall and make my own outlet. On the outside, I will need to take a 200 ft coaxial cord (one end of this cord is already inside my house (the wall outlet)) and run it into my attic, and take it through my attic, and then outside again, where I'll connect the other end into a gray box where I already have several other coaxial connections, all of them which connect with the street telephone pole.

Therefore, by me doing this, I'm connecting my modem, which is in my bedroom, with the outside street telephone pole, which is where the Comcast internet connection will be coming from. Now, I'm not exactly sure about the last sentence I typed. Will I have an internet connection by connecting the coaxial cord from the modem to the gray box outside my house?

If I could have a few guys who have had previous experience with setting up their own connection using a modem and coaxial cords let me know if I'm doing the right thing, that would be great. Please feel free to give me any suggestions regarding my project.

Thank you,

Jeff

Re: How do I set up an internet connection?

Is there already a coaxial point inside your house? I think you'd be better off putting the modem where that currently exists and then wire up an ethernet cable from that room to the the bedroom. That'd give you a bit more flexibility in future if ever you needed to change your connection to ADSL or something. Plus it eliminates the risk of messing up the coax cable and having to pay Comcast to come out and do it anyway. Wiring CAT5e/6 ethernet cable is easy. Just a bit more time consuming.

There's a bit more to running coax than meets the eye. For starters, all of the connectors and walljacks need the right sort of termination (I think cable internet is typically 75Ω). Then there's the cable type. Usually RG-6 or RG59. Connectors for one don't fit the other. As with any cabling, your work will also need to meet the cabling regulations in your area (eg. not too close to electrical cables).

Really, you'd be better off leaving the coax where it is and running an ethernet cable. Just make sure the cable and wall jacks are minimum CAT5e spec.

Do yourself and the eventual service tech who more than likely may have to come out anyway a great big favor and just schedule an appointment to add an additional outlet !tell them when you call you also want them to bring a SELF INSTALL KIT, which has easy to install software you need to get your service started also let them know you have your own cable modem.

If your dead set on doing it yourself The modem outlet NEEDS to be off the first splitter preferably on the lowest loss leg of the splitter each port on the splitter will tell you what the loss is.Use rg6 cable Since the outlet length is going to be 200 feet long you may end up with signal loss problems you can count on 5-6 dB loss per 100 feet which can really effect service. Screw on and crimp on F fittings are total junk and will cause problems almost every time, also they cause the cable to not be 75Ω anymore as stated above. Imo either use an existing outlet or call and schedule an appointment it could save you and the technician lots of grief in the long run.
    Last edited by /\/\adGamer; 07-05-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Thank you guys for the help. I'm set on doing this project myself the way I explained it above. My biggest dilema right now is finding where I can purchase a 200-ft coaxial cord, and the correct way to create a wall outlet for it. If I could just get a confrmation from a few other people that a 75Ω RG-6 Coaxial Cable is what I need for this job, I could stop by Lowe's today and buy it.

Another question: After I run everything through and connect everything, will my computer automatically identify the Comcast internet signal from the telephone pole and provide me internet? Is there anything I need to do once I turn on my comouter to turn on the modem and start getting the internet signal?

Thanks,

Jeff

Screw on and crimp on F fittings are total junk and will cause problems almost every time
    Just in case you missed that ! Be sure to buy a good compression tool and decent fittings for the RG6 cable it will only cost you about $100 bucks for a decent tool.

They can do the whole job the right way and charge you less than you doing it yourself.

Btw you will need your corp/account number and either download their software or get a self install kit as I stated before to get your internet going.

I just work at comcast so what do i know !

Good luck

RG-6 Quad Shield 75Ω is definitely what you want. You can confirm this by checking the markings on the existing cable.

I agree that the screw-on/twist-on connectors are crap, but there's nothing wrong with crimp connectors. Granted compression is better but crimp will do the trick. You'll need a coax stripper and a decent crimp/compression tool.

Aside from all of that, both /\/\adGamer and I have both stated that you'd be wise to just use the existing wall-jack. Running CAT cable (as I mentioned before) would be a better option as it's more suited to carrying (digital) over greater distances.

but there's nothing wrong with crimp connectors
    One of my biggest pet peeves is crimp on connectors they cause impedance mismatch,reflections,ingress/egress they cause a big percentage of trouble calls and noise in the system.When you crimp that fitting on that cable it is NO longer 75Ω period. I have even seen crimp on fittings cause so much noise they affected more than just the customer that was using it. They are so bad they can negatively affect the system all the way back to the fiber node. They were fine years ago when CATV systems had 12-26 channels but they are indeed junk !

rant over carry on

Thanks for the replies guys.

Today I went to Lowe's and bought all the supplies I need: 250ft RG-6 Coaxial Cable, RG-6Q Crimp-On F-Connectors, Coaxial Cable Stripper, Coaxial Cable Crimper, and a plastic wall plate.

Now, on the package of the 250ft RG-6 Coaxial Cable (it's a black cable), it says that its applications are "Cable and Sattelite TV." Since I need a coaxial cable for my modem (internet), will the cable that I bought still work for the job?

Good luck is all we really can tell you from this point on Jeff about the only thing left from here on out I can help you with is maybe the 1-888-comcast number if you get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    One of my biggest pet peeves is crimp on connectors they cause impedance mismatch,reflections,ingress/egress they cause a big percentage of trouble calls and noise in the system.When you crimp that fitting on that cable it is NO longer 75Ω period. I have even seen crimp on fittings cause so much noise they affected more than just the customer that was using it. They are so bad they can negatively affect the system all the way back to the fiber node. They were fine years ago when CATV systems had 12-26 channels but they are indeed junk !

rant over carry on
    If it's crimped properly with correctly matching and good quality cable + connectors, any adverse effects on the signal will be negligible. I've seen heaps of crimp connectors muffed up badly but that's usually due to poor selection of components or incorrect cabling technique. If it's done properly, it should be fine for an application such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sandler View Post
    Since I need a coaxial cable for my modem (internet), will the cable that I bought still work for the job?
    Did you check the exisiting cable to see what it is? If it's RG-6, RG-11 or RG-59, it's the right cable.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 07-06-2009 at 09:16 PM.

"Did you check the exisiting cable to see what it is? If it's RG-6, RG-11 or RG-59, it's the right cable."

What existing cable? I'm running a new internet cable and making a coaxial wall outlet. I was just wondering if the Black RG-6 Coaxial Cable is the correct one to use. I know you've said to use the RG-6 before, but when I bought 250 feet of it today, it said on the package that the cable is used for "Cable TV and Satellite." I couldn't find the word "modem" anywhere on there.

If it's crimped properly with correctly matching and good quality cable + connectors, any adverse effects on the signal will be negligible. I've seen heaps of crimp connectors muffed up badly but that's usually due to poor selection of components or incorrect cabling technique. If it's done properly, it should be fine for an application such as this.
    Crimped on fittings are NOT even used by cable companies anymore especially for a broadband connection for a good reasons. The proper thing to do when one is found in line is to remove it. The only approved type of coaxial connector is compressed connectors they don't cause impedance problems. I deal with this junk everyday telling someone to use them is bad advice.

"Crimped on fittings are NOT even used by cable companies anymore especially for a broadband connection for a good reasons. The proper thing to do when one is found in line is to remove it. The only approved type of coaxial connector is compressed connectors they don't cause impedance problems. I deal with this junk everyday telling someone to use them is bad advice."

Where do you suggest I buy compressed connectors (can you please provide a picture or how they look like)? What tool(s) will I be needing to attach the connector on the coaxial cable?

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    Crimped on fittings are NOT even used by cable companies anymore especially for a broadband connection for a good reasons. The proper thing to do when one is found in line is to remove it. The only approved type of coaxial connector is compressed connectors they don't cause impedance problems. I deal with this junk everyday telling someone to use them is bad advice.
    Data cablers use the compression method because it is current industry standard, among other reasons. Connector "approval" is an internal term - in this case it's Comcast approved. That doesn't dictate cabling specification, nor does it mean that crimp connectors don't meet said specs. They do. For an internal application such as this, crimp connectors are fine. I accept that they're not the best, but they're nowhere near as bad as you're making them out to be. Furthermore, suggesting to replace connectors simply because they're crimp type is just crazy talk. Unless they're causing problems, leave them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sandler View Post
    "Did you check the exisiting cable to see what it is? If it's RG-6, RG-11 or RG-59, it's the right cable."

What existing cable? I'm running a new internet cable and making a coaxial wall outlet. I was just wondering if the Black RG-6 Coaxial Cable is the correct one to use. I know you've said to use the RG-6 before, but when I bought 250 feet of it today, it said on the package that the cable is used for "Cable TV and Satellite." I couldn't find the word "modem" anywhere on there.
    Sorry - I thought I read that you had an existing connection and that you intended to move it to the bedroom. As long as the cable uses a solid copper core as opposed to a copper-plated core, then yeah it should be fine.

in this case it's Comcast approved
    Comcast's standard for over 10 years is to remove any and all crimp on connectors you find on line. I have worked in the cable industry for over 10 years and crimped on fittings are old school.

Furthermore, suggesting to replace connectors simply because they're crimp type is just crazy talk.

crazy is doing an install and less than 30 days later a trouble call/truck roll is reported only to find its a crimp on fitting the last guy out didnt replace because he was too lazy, being lazy costs the company time and fuel because the last tech out didnt see the point in following company/industry standards of replacing a junk crimp on fitting.