How many watts do DVD burners and hard drives consume?

Hi. I am trying to figure out how many watts a fast DVD burner consumes, but can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere. Does anybody know? Also, how many watts does a 7,200 and 10,000 rpm hard drive consume? Thank you.

Re: How many watts do DVD burners and hard drives consume?

A rule of thumb that's served me well when calculating overall wattage for your PSU is to plan 25Ws each burner or HDD. To my knowledge, hard drives spike at power on to this wattage, then consume 8-15Ws depending on brand and model for the 7200RPM ones. I believe my WD1001FALS (also known as WD caviar black 1TB) drives are labeled with 10.5Ws drawn, though I'm not completely certain of this.

A DVD burner I've always been told will eat 25-30Ws during burning. I don't know about the raptors, nor the seagate cheetahs. I also don't know anything about blu-ray drives.

Hope that helps!
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Thanks a bunch, that really does help. Ironically, a while after posting this thread I ran into something on the internet that said something about using 25 watts as "rule of thumb."

Those estimates are actually very good. Given the "duty cycle" of a typical desktop drive raises its average power consumption slightly, making the estimates closer to reality than what many manufacturer's claim. Nice job, Windrunner!