Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDDErase 3.3 Help

I'm trying to make a bootable .iso of HDDErase, but I must admit I have never tried to create a bootable CD from a file that was not already an .iso before...such as the file that is hosted on this site.

Can anyone explain to me how to create a bootable disk from these files? I have done some searching, but haven't found the answer. Right now I'm trying to use MagicISO.

Re: HDDErase 3.3 Help

it's a dos exe file, so you add it to a dos boot medium.
    You can run it from a floppy.
    There is a read me in the unzipped download.
    III. Creating a boot disk
    --------------------------
    * Windows XP
    Insert a floppy disk into drive A: double-click my computer on desktop, right-
    click on floppy drive A: select format from the resulting menu, check create an
    MS-DOS startup disk and click start.
    *Creating a bootable CD-R
    HDDerase v3.1 can be found on the "Ultimate Boot CD v4.1.1" which can be
    downloaded for free at:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
    Burn the ISO image to a blank CD-R using your preferred recording software.
    Remember to change your boot priority settings in BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM
    drive first. If you wish to create your own bootable CD-R, follow the
    instructions at the following link: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#cdromsi
    since you want 3.3 then follow the instructions to make your own bootable cd.
    Last edited by CMB; 07-12-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks, I missed that link in there.

So, I've followed the guide at that link, but I'm stuck on the last step:

4. Now you can customize things like:

* Adding programs and files to "cds\cdromsi\files\" folder. These will appear in the root of your CD-Rom filesystem.
    * Change the file "cds\cdromsi\files\autorun.bat" you can add any commands you want, like starting some application that is located on the CD-Rom.
    I added the files to the cds\cdromsi\files\ folder, but I am not sure how to change the autorun.bat file to add any commands I want, like starting the application that is located on the CD.

The autorun.bat file currently reads:
    Code:
    @echo off
    set path=%path%;%cddrv%\bin;%cddrv%\
    How would I change that to start the desired application (HDDERASE.exe)?

Thanks for any help.

edit: I did already create a bootable CD without changing the autorun.bat file, and after booting from it, it sat at "A:\". I tried executing the file (HDDERASE.exe) with no luck.

Well not sure how you have it set up.
    If the exe file is in the root, then you should just type HDDERASE <enter>
    If it is in another directory ie a:\files then just type
    cd files <enter>
    then
    hdderase <enter>

cd is change directory
    If you want the autoexec to run the program, you would add those lines to it.
    cd files
    hdderase

Maybe I wasn't clear,
    If the exe file is in the root, then you should just type HDDERASE <enter>
    If it is in another directory ie a:\files then just type
    cd files <enter>
    then
    hdderase <enter>
    That's if you are booted up and at the a:\ prompt and haven't edited the autoexec.

you can edit autoexec with the command
    edit auotoexec.bat <enter>

theres a 'hidden' utility on each hdd made since years ago..not sure if this is the one that access its functions, if not you may want to look into it. im told its the best way to wipe drives. just make sure you make a good backup before you give it a try.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear,

That's if you are booted up and at the a:\ prompt and haven't edited the autoexec.

you can edit autoexec with the command
    edit auotoexec.bat <enter>
    After booting from the disk, I tried a:\hdderase, which yielded "invalid command or file". I also tried a:\cd files which yielded "invalid directory".

I found the layout of the boot disk here. I then tried to change directory to each of those directories, and then tried to run hdderase, but each time hdderase yielded "invalid command or file".

I also just tried adding "hdderase" to the end of the autorun.bat file, which did...nothing. It went directly to a:\ just as it did before.

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    theres a 'hidden' utility on each hdd made since years ago..not sure if this is the one that access its functions, if not you may want to look into it. im told its the best way to wipe drives. just make sure you make a good backup before you give it a try.
    As far as I know, this is the way to access it. HDDErase 3.1 and 4.0 are available on UBCD and other .iso boot disks, but the Intel X25-M requires HDDErase 3.3.
    Last edited by rcpratt; 07-12-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Look at your cd under windows, check the file and directory structure to see where the hdderase.exe file is.

nice.thanks. i usually go for boot nuke or whatevers called..darik's boot and nuke.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Look at your cd under windows, check the file and directory structure to see where the hdderase.exe file is.
    Only files are hdderase.exe and autorun.bat. No other folders. Grr.

So, I found this on the modboot site:

#3 The xmsdsk.exe (ramdrive application) does not seem to be able to function correctly on computers with more than 2GB of RAM. I keep getting the error "XMS get free mem error.".
    So I took out some of my RAM until there was only 2GB left. When I booted the CD, some things changed.

Instead of taking me straight to A:\, it started extracting things to the ramdrive. However, when it tried to extract some CDROM application, it crashed. I tried several different things but could not get it to go beyond this point.

I don't think you need the cdrom support...that is for cdrom support under dos.
    you really only need a basic dos boot disk with that exe file file on it.

I agree, but that's something built into this boot disk and when the CDROM crashes, it stops setting up the ramdrive.

If there's some easier way to set up a boot disk with one .exe on it, let me know

Or if you are using a cdrw, just burn that ultimate boot cd iso image, and then boot up in windows, find the HDDErase 3.1 or 4.0 that's on it ( whatever version is on there) and delete it and replace it with the 3.3 ... I don't see why that shouldn't work as long as the file name is kept the same.
    Last edited by CMB; 07-12-2009 at 07:20 PM.