SATA 6G delayed due to controller issues

Did you guys see this news I posted today? What are your thoughts?

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7470
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: SATA 6G delayed due to controller issues

Honestly, I didn't know about SATA 6G until today, when I was looking at the preview pics of the Gigabyte i5 motherboard. Having committed myself to a minor upgrade this week, an i5/i7 upgrade won't happen till sometime in 2010 (at the earliest); hopefully, the issues surrounding the Marvell SATA 6G controller chipset will be resolved by then. Seeing as SATA 6G-compliant hardware haven't made their way to any retail channels thus far, I'm not overly concerned about this feature's omission in lower-end and mainstream P55 motherboards. I see it as technology in its infancy and there will be teething pains to contend with.

SATA 6G would be nice to have (based on what little I know about it), but I'm more anxious about having USB 3.0-compatible devices than I am SATA 6G.

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

until i see comparisons showing a decent increase in practical performance its just something written on paper for me...

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

I was aware of it but to be honest, kissed it off because no electromechanical drive will ever go that fast. And for SSD's, gonna take longer for those to reach that mark than most people think as well. The SSD industry isn't organized yet, no formal international standards body exists for it yet. Lots of things have yet to come together and formalized before we'll see what I'm sure we ALL want to see in a BIG hurry - bye bye electromechanical garb!! I'm trying to learn patience - not one of my better attributes!

No, I didn't see this before.

Until there is hard evidence of this, I'll consider this a case of somebody crying wolf.

end of spinning drives? *prays hard

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    No, I didn't see this before.

Until there is hard evidence of this, I'll consider this a case of somebody crying wolf.
    All solid-state drives are currently available, but they are much closer to being very interesting toys to play with than anything else right now. They have a long way to go before they can truly say they ditched their old heritage.

Did you guys read my last comment on there about chickens and eggs?

Would you rather have the tech on your MB ready and waiting for the drives to come out, or have the drives available and then have wait to upgrade your platform in order to take advantage of it?
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Would you rather have the tech on your MB ready and waiting for the drives to come out, or have the drives available and then have wait to upgrade your platform in order to take advantage of it?
    The latter, without question. It appears that this SATA 6G controller isn't quite ready for prime time (at least, not on a mass scale), and if its omission translates into less costlier boards, as well as one fewer issue to troubleshoot potentially, then I'll wait.

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Did you guys read my last comment on there about chickens and eggs?

Leemmee recover from puking up my dinner from shrinking drives fast, ok????

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    All solid-state drives are currently available, but they are much closer to being very interesting toys to play with than anything else right now. They have a long way to go before they can truly say they ditched their old heritage.
    It's good that the technology is there, but sadly no drive on the market can do 6GB's. The claims about the controller's being delayed smells like a case of somebody crying wolf, when the wolf isn't even around.

SATA 6.0 ? woppie doo they cant even get current drives up to saturate the sata 3.0 spec
    I see this as worthless tech without drives that can fully use bandwidth
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Agree. Always has been that way for mass storage devices. If we see anything remotely approaching the spec cap, it'll be a burst rate, that's all.

I'm quite excited about it, especially because port multipliers will become common tech that won't decrease performance of the drives on them.

I'm holding out for USB 3.0 and SATA 6G before I build my next system.
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.