Finding Out Total PC Output

How can you find out what total power a PC is using without any use of hardware meters like electricians use I am wondering because I just bought a 9600GT from a 8600GT and just in general what total power output I'm using.

I assume it would not use full power on the CPU or GPU if it's not been used say by a game etc.

If anyone can give me info on how please thanks in advance.
    Windows XP 32bit SP3 (Moving to Win 7 RC1 64bit Soon)
    AMD Phenom 9550 AM2+ (4x 2.2ghz - Stock)
    Gigabyte GA-MA78G DS3H AM2+ (R1.0 BIOS F4)
    Kingston Hyper-X 4GB PC8500 DDR2 Kit (5-5-5-15 2.1v)
    Some Seagate RMA'd HDD (Upgrading To A SSD For Op Sys, & WD 250GB 7,200rpm SATA-II HDD For Storage)
    PNY 9600GT 512mb GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0
    Samsung SH-S138L DVD-RW
    Active Power 850w Mod PSU

Re: Finding Out Total PC Output

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

That should help, just make sure you know what other specs you have :P

A note, that is only theoretical power usage, so how much power your system uses may vary.

Killawatt is available for as low as $15+shipping. this is the only way without resorting to complex testing (see xbit labs) Multiply its figure by efficiency to get output.

check reviews of similar set ups. they often have power usage.

At idle and 2d gpu power usage is much lower then max.

http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php This power calculators do well on max loads

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I did that extreme power caculator and it's estimate after entering everything I had on my system says 305w but then since my PSU is just near 1yr old I added about 10% because it's never on for long probably about 3hrs-4 a day but in multiple sessions added up.

With that added it dropped to 224w so either which it's not using to much but I understand it's an estimate.
    Windows XP 32bit SP3 (Moving to Win 7 RC1 64bit Soon)
    AMD Phenom 9550 AM2+ (4x 2.2ghz - Stock)
    Gigabyte GA-MA78G DS3H AM2+ (R1.0 BIOS F4)
    Kingston Hyper-X 4GB PC8500 DDR2 Kit (5-5-5-15 2.1v)
    Some Seagate RMA'd HDD (Upgrading To A SSD For Op Sys, & WD 250GB 7,200rpm SATA-II HDD For Storage)
    PNY 9600GT 512mb GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0
    Samsung SH-S138L DVD-RW
    Active Power 850w Mod PSU

i econd the killawatt.very nice and cheap tool. i like those calculators but i like to see with me own eyes. take in consideration outside/inside temperature, cap aging(you can never put exact numbers on a website and expect them to apply 100% to you.)
    keep the psu at 80% or less of its 12v rated capacity and youll be mighty fine long time..wait that almost sounds wrong lol

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    i econd the killawatt.very nice and cheap tool. i like those calculators but i like to see with me own eyes. take in consideration outside/inside temperature, cap aging(you can never put exact numbers on a website and expect them to apply 100% to you.)
    keep the psu at 80% or less of its 12v rated capacity and youll be mighty fine long time..wait that almost sounds wrong lol
    No, its right. Just add "but it ain't painted green so it might rust!, and the disclaimer tis corncomplute."

These calculators seem to be fairly pessimistic, so I say buy the hardware to measure it. Mine runs at about 340W IIRC, but the meter blew up after three months.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    These calculators seem to be fairly pessimistic, so I say buy the hardware to measure it. Mine runs at about 340W IIRC, but the meter blew up after three months.

M
    Your Kill A Watt crapped after three months? Jeez the cheap crap. Mine was fairly accurate, fortunately. read 393 watts draw when it was in fact 397. Not too bad for cheap stuff but that kind of life expectancy is utterly pathetic and unacceptable.

hmmm....i know theyre not exactly rolls royce built but they dont look too frail either. i think theres a v1 2 and 3, i think i have v1.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Your Kill A Watt crapped after three months?

I don't think it was that actual brand, just a similar device. The display still works, and I can change settings and all, but it thinks that the device plugged into it pulls 0W. I wish...

M

Thanks Mark. Mine was made in China (of course). No version number. Still working fine though its only been ON 24/7 duty about 3 weeks now. Average continuous load on it is 1.2 killowatt. Internal build quality is about average. I've gotten used to having it conveniently stashed away where I can still have a peek at it. Hope it lasts! I haven't seen anything similar to it, yet.

I have one coming today from NewEgg.
    They had a special (Promo Code) - $19.99 with free shipping.

I was using a PC power cord that I split to expose the neutral conductor and my clamp-on ammeter but I got tired of having to go out to my van to get the meter every time I wanted to run a test.

Bill
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.