Thread: Help Me

Help Me

Hey there i have a Friend of mine that likes to torrent Download all the time and now its getting to a point that its outta control i have a 75mp down and 20 up and i can never download over 150kb when he's torrenting and i gotten to the point of smashing his computer but i don't want to so is there a way to limit his computers mac address or anything please help me or im just going to kick him off the internet here and im paying for all of it

i have a

DI-604-------------<DI-524 familys
    \________________<WBR 1310 my computer and his

he stills takes it all

Re: Help Me

C'mon, doesn't anyone want to help an apprentice cyber-terrorist?
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

1. Talk to him about it and work out an agreement
    2. Make him pay for his own internet

deception and roommates don't mix very well

You have 75mbps down and 20mbps up???? Wow... that's wicked fast... As for controlling his downloading speeds, I agree with the other users that this is something that is better taken care of by dialog, rather than technical means. However, if you can't control his downloading, there should be settings in your router that can limit his speeds. I'm not familiar with your specific router, but there should be either Parental Controls that you can use, you could set up the router to use OpenDNS and block him from actually connecting to the sites he gets his torrents from (this will probably only delay him, as you would have to watch the network and see exactly which trackers he's using and whatnot, and he will undoubtedly swap places he goes when he can not longer connect to the usual ones...) or you could look for settings that would throttle the speed to his machine. You can also set up different 'groups' in some routers, and have his machine get a different address range than yours, and throttle his whole range (in case he has more than one machine).
    Of course, he could easily combat any of these by simply walking up to the router and pushing the reset button. He could also change his machine's mac address to your machines, and defeat it that way as well.

This is really a question of the skills you have vs the skills he has, and in all honesty, it sounds like if you can't simply look at your router's admin page and figure it out yourself, he might have one up on you. There's a good chance the other forum users already realized this, and that's why they told you to confront him in a social setting rather than trying to out-tech him.

Also, it has occurred to me while typing this that a FON router might be better suited for your needs, as my understanding is they have the ability to have two different SSIDs, one for your machine which would be WPA2 encrypted and locked down, and a public one he could use and have access to. The key to this is that even if he went and did a hard-reset on the router, so long as you don't share the randomized default key it has, a hard reset wouldn't help him.... Just a random final thought.

Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble, but I was thinking while typing, rather than having my response pre-planned. Good luck with your situation, and hopefully at least something here was of help.

If you route his access to WAn through your computer, you could use this freeware Trafic Shaper XP http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...ransfer-speed/
    ( there might be other programs like this one on the Web )

From within a router, this is difficult to impossible if the router just doesn't support such features.

You 'll need to be able to also limit his uploads, because Torrent is bi-directional, so it will also upload stuff and can almost block your access to Internet just by way of blocking the upload of a page request (website), let alone a download request !

my 2 cents

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

even if you cap his dl/upl(btw your speeds are fantastic) bt will make webpages load slower if your router is not up to processing many connections at once.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

yea i told him and bitch him out for it and i told him he had to pay per GB and i siad it was 50 Cents per gb and he got mad and moved out to his GF and now shes getting mad about it cuz she has a 60gb limit lol and hes gone over by 50gb and there down here neck about it lol i was thinking that my way was cheaper but whatever and thank for all your help